1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumours about the "regeneration" of Tulse Hill estate

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ViolentPanda, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I've been hearing rumours about this for at least a year now, but they've been very vague, and mostly have seemed to be the product of fears that the estate - especially the park-side half - will get "Cressinghamed" (as one person put it).

Interestingly, in the last week I've had two friends who are T.H.E. residents knock on my door and ask me about this, had my cab driver (another T.H.E. resident) mention this, and had several people on face-ache message me on the subject.

I'm aware that where the Greenleaf Close Neighborhood Housing Office is sited is planned to be cleared and redeveloped, but those who've contacted me are convinced (possibly because of what is happening at Gordon Grove APG) that the adventure playground and/or the blocks and garages closest to the Housing Office are also likely to get demolished, and that this will be the thin end of the wedge as regards "regenerating" the entire estate.

I'm worried that even if the worst that actually happens is a small block of private flats is built where the Housing Office currently stands, that the sense of threat is going to stress out a lot of people who don't need or deserve that kind of tension and hassle.

Ax^, sealion, Miss-Shelf and 3 others like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

At the public meeting about the Grove APG the officer said the Council was going to build the houses on the site for rent. This was new. Never mentioned at any of the previous meetings where the future of the Youth Centre and APG was discussed. I tried to ask more about this but was not able to.

The brief explanation was that the Council was setting up it's own subsidiary to do this. No explanation as given how this would work.

I read today
    Tricky Skills piece in Brixton Buzz about Cressingham and he says Council are setting up Homes for Lambeth. Which sounds to me like a SPV. The slippery slope to the Council becoming like a private developer. We have seen how that turns out with the way Housing Associations now act.

Lambeth Council set to award £6m+ contract to developer to start Cressingham Gardens estate regeneration

So residents of Tulse Hill imo have a right to be concerned about there long term future.

I also see the Council plans for the Grove APG/ Youth centre as the thin edge of the wedge.

bimble

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. ViolentPanda

TBF, I've heard rumours about the APGs being abandoned, and the land cleared for a couple of years. The difference with the Grove is that now the council have confirmed that they want to clear it for housing. It does however set a precedent that doesn't bode well for other APGs.

The longer explanation is that Lambeth are setting up a whole string of subsidiaries through the "Homes for Lambeth" Special Purpose Vehicle (yes, they're definitely using an SPV), and will trade outside of the Housing Revenue Account (although extant central government legislation doesn't allow this, it's a question of them being able to police it). This is all very much about the council becoming a private developer - all their current "regeneration" projects develop a majority of new housing for private sale or rental. This is all about establishing an alternative income stream to central government grant. It's also why, in the case of the current regenerations, existing tenants who want to stay on "regenerated" estates are being coerced to give up their Secure Tenancy (and any rights that go with it), and accept an "Assured Lifetime Tenancy" (which will technically only last five years before it requires renewal!) with none of those rights attached, except through contractual agreement between Lambeth and tenants with ALTs.

It's ALL very much the thin end of the wedge. When people first started talking about this 3-4 years ago, they were variously labelled conspiracy theorists, hysterics and downright liars. Strange how most of what they've predicted has come to pass - or not strange at all if you follow local government politics, and are reasonably acquainted with Lambeth's practices over the last 20 or so years.

ska invita, sealion and Gramsci like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

At the moment the Council have backed off with idea of selling of the Grove APG. But have said that the local community have to raise all the funds to run the APG over summer. No definite promise that after a temporary use of the site they will allow it to stay as an APG.

The Loughborough Estate is managed by an Estate Management Board. From what I've heard the Council officers for years have been giving LEMB a hard time. Trying to find fault so they can take it back under there control. Having a EMB gives the estate some protection from officers "regeneration" of estates from what I've been told.

5. ViolentPanda

I'm probably teaching Grandma to suck eggs here, but DON'T take what the council say as sincere. They're happy to lie. Keep a close eye on them to make sure their actions match their words. In my experience they make promises they know they can't keep, and use the acquiescence gained from the public to progress their plans

From my reading over the last couple of years to do with EMBs and TMOs, apart from anything else it means that proposals for change of use have to go to an estate-wide ballot, which is why Lambeth hate EMBs and TMOs, even though they give lip service to supporting them. Yet again, "The Co-operative Council" shows that it really dislikes democracy.

Gramsci likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Surely its the Labour councillors themselves who are conspiracy theorists, hysterics and downright liars?

7. ViolentPanda

Quite. They're very adept at projecting their own failings onto others.