Rugby Union 2017-18

Discussion in 'general sports' started by bendeus, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Paul Rees's column thhis week is worth a read I think.

Scotland’s leap ahead shows the way forward for Wales and South Africa | Paul Rees

Especially this paragraph.

"Wales is trying to build from the bottom upwards after, in terms of the grassroots, a wasted decade under the old WRU regime when all that mattered was the top. It had the effect of coating a stale cake with icing sugar and, abetted by a compliant media which would not ask awkward questions and a smart choice of national head coach in Warren Gatland, the governing body got away with it."

And yeah I agree with bendeus , short to medium term we're fucked. A new coaching set up would be nice though.

gawkrodger and bendeus like this.
  2. Threshers_Flail

And although I'm not a Llanelli fan I think it's tragic and frankly bizarre that Scott Williams is leaving to join the Ospreys.

3. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

Bloody hell. Yes, that para pretty much sums it up nicely.

Grandma Death likes this.
  4. bendeus

Wondering if Pivac, who is on record as saying Tim Cymru players are a liability in terms of season long consistency due to regular lack of availability has looked at his three Welsh qualified centres and deduced that SW is the most expendable of them all in terms of overall gameplan and skill set. Foxy the better 13 and Parkes the better 12. You therefore want a quality NWQ to be available as backup through the season, including international windows

5. Threshers_Flail

Yeah it makes sense in a very hard-nosed way but I think it's a shame that a player should leave his boyhood club to join the local rivals. Even more so when the club he's joining is self imploding.

6. bendeus

Yeah. The last sentence is most telling. However, a scenario in which Pivac has basically told him he superfluous to requirements and has offered him a wage that reflects this, while at the same time being offered serious wedge by an Ospreys side desperate for a decent 13 does seem to be a very plausible scenario.

7. Threshers_Flail

Yep. I'm now even more intrigued to see who Pivac brings in next term as Barclay and Beirne are massive players for them.

You bothering watching the game Saturday?

8. bendeus

Possibly. Might get drunk first :)

9. bendeus

Pivac is also on the WRU's three-man shortlist to replace Gatland. I'd be pretty happy to see him as head coach with Wellies masterminding attack

10. Threshers_Flail

Yeah they'd do a good job with a decent forwards coach, not sure if Scarlets fans would be too happy about that mind!

11. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

We cursed them - they were shite this evening!

12. bendeus

Ah, but we must all make sacrifices for the greater glory of Tim Cymru, no?

13. gosub

gosub ~#

I still have fingernails left:cool:

14. bendeus

Abject second half performance. Still, I guess that side was essentially Wales A and as such did pretty well, even if it was against perennial whipping boys, South Africa

15. gawkrodger

gutted I missed the Wasps game - sounds like it was a cracker, and with it, we're up to 5th. Top 4 by the end of the year!

16. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Perennial? its only the 4th time we've ever managed it!

17. bendeus

That was kind of the joke, 1927 :)

18. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

sorry!

19. bendeus

In fairness they have been perennial whipping boys if you only started counting from last year.

20. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

I quite enjoyed the game today. Thought boks deserved it though. Clearly better team second half. Have to admit never heard of that Hadleigh fella. He played well. Was impressed by amos today as well.

21. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

Is it because he isnt getting picked regularly for the Scarlets thats what I read

22. bendeus

Think it's as simple as the fact that SW is a better 13 than he is a 12 but he's not as good a 13 as Foxy (few are). He can full in admirably at 12 but Pivac seems to think that Parkes is the superior inside centre (I'd agree), which leaves SW playing second string.

At the Os, with their longterm problems at outside centre, Scott would be the first name on the teamsheet. The move makes sense for all parties, tbh

Grandma Death likes this.
  23. bendeus

Grandma Death - c&p'd this from Gwlad, who in turn must've done the same from the Times or the Rugby paper. It's McGeechan's take on Wales' current predicament and why our lack of dynamic ball carriers is a serious impediment to our getting anywhere with the current crop of players. Well worth a read (his bizarre assessment of Steff Evans having had a good series notwithstanding):

Our current ball carrying options up front are Rob Evans, Owens and Faletau. That's it. Compare that to England's riches and weep.

E2A: Paul Rees also highlighting carrying as a significant weakness in today's Graun online: Victory over Springboks must not lull Wales into false sense of security | Paul Rees

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  24. gawkrodger

bendeus likes this.
  25. gawkrodger

some cracking European games this weekend

26. gawkrodger

This Ospreys Saints game is hilarious

27. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

Over played the Danny Care handing that article. He was off form today. Went to the stoop and Cooney was everything Care is meant to be. I like care but he was conservative today, granted the conditions were shite, but he limited his game to passing. We were defending two back but Gilroy is weak going backwards, Care could have dinked a ball into space but didn’t. Still great win for us and some of our dodgy fans.

28. bendeus

Given the utter shambles that is the Os at present I'd say that result says volumes about where Saints currently find themselves. They sounded like the keystone cops in the first half

gawkrodger likes this.
  29. gawkrodger

Ouch @Sarries

30. bendeus

Jesus! Just seen the result :eek: