1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruddy Yurts RIP

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Santino, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Just heard that the seminal jazz-fusion bassoonist Ruddy Yurts has passed away. I'll always remember seeing him set the stage on fire at the Ealing Jazz Festival in '03 with the Ruddy Yurts Octet.

Best album's got to be either 10,000 GigaYurts or the original Mono pressing of Love Yurts.

Any other fans out there?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

i saw him the other night as he crawled down the gutters of hoxton street so it was no surprise to find that ruddy yurts-smythe (to give him his full name) has died of alcoholic poisoning.

3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I recall watching him die metaphorically on stage at Ronnie Scotts. It was sad really, a man robbed of his powers. Courtney Pine claims him as a huge influence.

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I think he was very talented, but its fair to say his playing was highly derivative from a lot east siberian folk traditions. RIP Ruddy. Play on player....

5. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

Played a lot with Ger Lia I think? Great duet, they really scouted out the genre. Intense. RIP.

Libertad and Shirl like this.
  6. Santino

Onto the third disc of my Ruddy And The Ferris Wheelers Boxed Set. I hope he's up in the big beyond somewhere jamming with Denton Weekes and Fish-lips McGee right now.

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the third album. It wasn't quite ... _warm_ enough.

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. ska invita

If it werent for Ruddy we would never have had Paul Hanson

9. ska invita

Thats the CD mastering that hit the UK - it came out on vinyl in Japan only - infinitely superior

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

It's ironic really, his one-time collaborator and (hostile imo) biographer Svetlana Candice died in the same week, choking on one of those novelty mini-mouth organs you get in posh christmas crackers.

Seems the heavenly choir will be a little less traditional and a bit more jazz this month.

11. Santino

Tribute gig for him next Friday at Ronnie Scott's, £8.00 on the door.

12. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

danny la rouge must be gutted, he is an enormous fan of Yurt's music.

Pickman's model and quimcunx like this.
  13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

and £6 on the window

Shirl and Lord Hugh like this.
  14. ska invita

his silence on this thread speaks volumes
    ((((Danny))))

15. Belushi

Riddled with syphilis and self doubt :(

16. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I have to confess to being completely ignorant of his work until T-Mobile used 'Manglewurzle on the Z train' to advertise their flexi tarriff in 2004. I've been a devoted fan since. I especially love his live from McArthur Park album. Totally jerked my chicken.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Maggot and ska invita like this.
  17. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Barely even knew he was alive and certainly can't be bothered to mourn his passing. One fewer jazzman - hardly merits a thread.

18. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

He wasn't just a jazzman though. He also recorded the sounds used on Spanish road crossings to help the blind. Show some respect please.

existentialist, Santino and Lord Hugh like this.
  19. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Urban's nil nisi mentality again. He was a surly and foul-mouthed wife-beater, according to the Graun obit, and he probably spent the royalties from the Spanish transport authorities on unfairly-traded crack.

20. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

is this the Urban equivalent of Mornington Crescent?

phillm and Sea Star like this.
  21. Santino

A painful reminder of Ruddy's first and only appearance on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. I've never managed to listen to the whole recording, it's just so toe-curling.

22. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

It took the lovely Samantha some weeks to recover after blowing valiantly on Ruddy's bassoon.

23. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

I can't actually believe he was born without a mouth and managed to make such a legacy for himself.

24. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Weary, Worn and Sad.

But they were never certain if he was Be-bop or Hard Fusion, you could find Yurts in both camps!

Lord Hugh and quimcunx like this.
  25. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

It's his young children Yahip and Mito Yurts that I feel for:(

quimcunx likes this.
  26. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

This is a hoax.

Yurts' newsagent is one of my best friends and he reliably assured me this morning that Yurts was in only yesterday, buying the same as he did every visit: a Daily Telegraph (none of us ever knew why he was so devoted to that paper....they fucking hated him), an Irn Bru, a raisin and biscuit Yorkie and two Pritt Sticks.

existentialist and BigMoaner like this.
  27. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I remember the first time I saw Ruddy Yurts at a festival. It was the mid 90s, and it was something different. I'd heard people talking about the ethnic influence, the structure, the decoration, and symbolism; I had to experience it for myself. I'll admit I'd never really got into Ruddy Yurts before that, but I did that day. I'd say it was intense, but somehow that doesn't quite cover it.

It's unfair really that his reputation is tarnished by the number of middle class white Western Europeans who are fans. But they're mostly fair weather friends, who got into Yurts at festivals. But that's not what Yurts was about. His was a life lived on the road. RIP Yurts.

28. Belushi

A beautiful tribute Danny.

29. ska invita

Intents player for sure

30. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I remember listening to his mum's LP when I was a kid. Myfwny Yurts And Sings, my parents loved it <3

tim, Miss-Shelf, Shirl and 4 others like this.