Royal Veteran/Loughborough Park Tavern on Coldharbour Lane/ Moorlands Rd SW9

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 8, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Could you post up those maps? The pub - and the Royal Veteran whatever that was - was set back off Coldharbour Lane so it could be that Zoar Place was the name for that strip.

There's no mention of a Post Office in the 1870 or 1894 maps though.

Attached Files:

2. boohoo

boohoo No.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the 1870 & 1894 maps are quite hot on pub locations.

4. boohoo

boohoo No.

Might be something on Sam the wheels footage... :)

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To recap: it's definitely been a pub since 1870. It was definitely the Loughborough Park Tavern, possibly previously called the Royal Veteran, or that may have been an earlier hall.

Here's a rather spartan 1850 map I've just found. Atlantic Road is a footpath!

Attached Files:

6. Pickman's model

that's a skeleton os map. the other ones i've seen are from 1848, perhaps they started in north london and worked their way down.

7. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I'm thinking that's a good possibility. There's loads of places up Brixton Hill and Streatham Hill (and elsewhere obviously) that have names for particular blocks (or parades of shops), but those names are very rarely used in their addresses nowadays.

8. boohoo

boohoo No.

Like all the different mansions on Coldharbour Lane - Carlton, Clifton, etc...

9. Pickman's model

those are subsidiary names which were generally abolished by the 1950s: have a look in the london county council street names books which you'll find in the lambeth archives. but you don't find subsidiary names listed on os maps - although the map in the op's not an ordnance survey map.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a 1916 map showing a clear space in front of the pub (you can see the tram lines too)

Attached Files:

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've just spotted a Clarewood Mews too. It's nice to know that the current name has some relation to the area, even if the street plan and buildings have been flattened.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hello. What are these "ruins" that are visible in the 1952 map (highlighted by green arrow)?

I don't think this area was bombed.

Attached Files:

13. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, my dentist in Streatham still uses it. Remember having a nightmare trying to find where they were located because of the way they'd written the address (ie. Leigham Hall Parade)

14. Pickman's model

when you visit the archives make sure to consult the bomb damage maps they should have. or i can tell you tomorrow

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The ruins are still there in 1960, and the pub has got its name displayed.... (I could do this all night - there's so much info to be found in maps!)

Attached Files:

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've checked the V2/V1 sites and there's nothing there, but if you can have a look that would be appreciated.

17. boohoo

boohoo No.

18. Pickman's model

there were lots of places which weren't cleared for bloody years after the war - not surprising when you see how much was bombed. anyway, i'll have a gander in the afternoon

19. Minnie_the_Minx

2 houses demolished on Loughborough/Barrington according to this (24 July 1944). Few bombs hit other areas of SW9 but I don't recognise the street names myself

http://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/V1_summary_sw4and9.html

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the 1975-77 map. Everything's gone!

Attached Files:

21. Pickman's model

22. Minnie_the_Minx

I'm not good at maps. You're totally losing me with all these maps :oops:

I'm also now confused. I'm not sure whether I'm looking at Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Road or Zoar Place any more. I have so many sodding windows open

23. Pickman's model

yeh: but you're looking at v1s and that. most of the damage was done years before v1s and v2s, during the 1940-41 period.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. boohoo

boohoo No.

Those houses look lovely. A trip to the archives always has me wincing at some of the nice looking buildings that have come down to be replaced by horrible modern blocks.

26. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

27. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

28. Minnie_the_Minx

Yes, but that was in response to Ed's map as shown above, although I have no idea now what road had a "ruins" mark on it as I'm now totally brain dead. Probably Loughborough Road (or was it Coldharbour?). Shit, I don't know anymore. I need to stop this :mad::oops:

29. Minnie_the_Minx

Zoar Place is in 1851 Lambeth Street Index, but not 1941

also there in 1861 and 1871

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Well I've discovered there was a No. 5 Zoar Place in 1854, same type of shop as the one listed earlier