Royal Veteran/Loughborough Park Tavern on Coldharbour Lane/ Moorlands Rd SW9

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 8, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Try as I might I've never been able to unearth a single photo or decent reference to this pub. It was knocked down with the Moorlands Estate development of the 70s, and appears in maps as far back as 1864.

[​IMG]

Note that there's also a Zoar Place next to the pub.

I've managed to track down a picture of the pub sign in 1950, when it was apparently called the Loughborough Park Tavern:

[​IMG]

Anyone got anything on this?

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

The occupants are listed on 1881 census.

One of their professions is down as "billiard marker"

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Atlantic, Warrior, Prince Albert, Green Man, The Plough (in Kennington) are listed as existing in 1881 census on here, but no Royal Veteran

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/pubs.html#R

but I found something earlier, unless that entry belonged to another pub on Coldharbour Lane. This is infuriating. I hate you Ed :mad:

4. Minnie_the_Minx

Loughborough 1881 (still can't find my billiard marker)

Source: http://deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/Camberwell/LoughboroughParkTavern.shtml

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I tried searching for "Zoar Place" SW9 but only came up with.. this thread!

But then I tried "Zoar Place" 'Brixton' and got quite a few results including this Old Bailey Proceedings, 19th September 1870 account:

And...

6. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, they're the main two I came up with, along with a listing on a street index site. Ms Waters was sentenced to death!

7. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Zoar was one of the Cities of the Plain that was spared when God smote Sodom and Gomorrah!

Possibly the earliest case of a cartographer's "trap street" gaining a real world existence by people fraudulently citing it as an address? :confused:

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Well according to the transcripts of that trial, someone was picking up post from the Post Office in Zoar Place

The Post Office must have records?

However, it does seem very strange that there's barely any mention of it, although it is mentioned in a few censuses/census/censii up to 1881 (the earliest being 1851)

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I feel a trip to the Minet Library coming on very soon as this is bugging me now.

10. Minnie_the_Minx

Excellent, 'cos I refuse to spend any more time on it! Was at it for hours last night. :mad:

There's one in Wales though

11. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

12. Minnie_the_Minx

I'll leave that up to you or Ed :D

13. miss minnie

I wonder if it shows up on this map...

Map of London, 1881, finding number: POST 21/72

14. Minnie_the_Minx

I did have a thought last night. How exactly do you know that the Royal Veteran was a pub? :confused:

15. miss minnie

16. Minnie_the_Minx

On an entirely different note, I found that the reason the Russell used to have that neon Brady's sign is probably because there was a landlord/owner called Luke Brady (listed in the Post Office Directory in 1938)

17. Minnie_the_Minx

What are those red squares, POs? It doesn't look like there's many of them. Or are they sorting offices?

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, it may not have been, but I can't think what else would be called the "Royal Veteran" and be situated in the exact location where the pub was.

19. miss minnie

20. Minnie_the_Minx

21. Minnie_the_Minx

No doubt you came across loads of members of Royal Veteran Battalions as well. I was wondering if they had homes for old soldiers or something, a bit like Chelsea? Alternatively, some depot or garrison? Or old boys social club or something?

22. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Not helpful for your enquiries but there's a Zoar Inn in Forfar about 17 miles away from me.

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh, it was the loughborough park tavern for years, till well after the fifties. but it's not listed in the *london* postal directories till about 1940 (as the loughborough park tavern). you'll need to go to the archives and have a look at the local directories and documents to find out more about it.

24. boohoo

boohoo No.

Zoar Place looks like it is the name of the dwelling - so, address would be Zoar Place, Coldharbour lane, sw9... etc...

Also found this pub: Sussex Arms - Sussex Road, Brixton, LAMBETH [1881] - Could this be the pub but a Sussex Road address?

25. boohoo

boohoo No.

no ... not sussex arms... :) Back to the drawing board...

26. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Nonconformist Chapels were sometimes called Zoar or Soar.

(In my village in wales we had Soar, Salem and Sion)

27. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I wonder whether it was some sort of 'old soldiers' club or hall? There was a big hall owned by the Territorial Army* on Minet Road where the scrapyard/Damien Hirst's workshops used to be, I remember an old lady who told me of going to big dinner dances there and I know that as far as clubs and places of entertainment went, there were lots, even if you don't count Music Halls.

* who still have a base on Flodden Rd in Camberwell

28. boohoo

boohoo No.

A slight derail but another lost pub

This view is feels odd because in the distance you can see the loughborough hotel - you are basically looking at the view from near the kebab shop across the road from Jamm and pretty much everything in the view is now gone.

29. miss minnie

I found it on a couple more maps and it looks like a cul-de-sac behind the large building facing CHL, entry from Sussex Road.

30. Minnie_the_Minx

I was thinking along the same lines