1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Round (About) Midnight.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danny la rouge, Nov 5, 2012.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

The variously titled Monk tune is probably one of the most covered standards in jazz. We all have our favourites.

(Contains YouTube clips).

Obviously the man himself deserves first mention:

Wonderful, uncompromising, jagged and unconventional. Monk, although aligned with bebop, really comes from the stride tradition; he has more in common with Ellington, despite his advanced harmony. His compositions are deeply logical, even where they take unexpected turns.

The most famous cover is probably Miles' version on the album that dropped the "About" from the title. But that's never been satisfactory for me. It isn't (in my view) Miles at his best, and it isn't my favourite reading of the tune. But it does have Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Trane, so here it is:

My favourite is the under-rated and under-stated Grant Green, who re-instates the "About" in the title. Green had a deep understanding of harmony, but, steeped in the blues, had the taste to apply an economy of notes where a lesser talent might have been tempted to show off with a welter of flurries.

The most starling is the one with Bobby McFerrin doing the vocal with Herbie Hancock's band for the film soundtrack. All the more remarkable when you realise the sound was all him, without the aid of computer treatment.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  2. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Cheers Danny, will check these out tonight - never heard the bobby McFerrin version. He's an incredible artist (although tbf I don't like all of his stuff)

3. danny la rouge

No, I don't either. But as you say, remarkable nonetheless.

4. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Good thread Danny. I like some of the sung versions too. Ella Fitzgerald, even Amy Winehouse remarkably. But my favourite is Sarah Vaughan who completely changes the smoky mood to something her own.

5. danny la rouge

Great calls.

Here's Ella:

And Sass:

I don't like to compare the two singers. I love them both, and they both have their thing. But I do think Sass is better suited to the structure of the melody (which she, characteristically, reworks).

6. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

I know the song but not the covers. Got to say I'm a bit disapointed with the covers - they seem to be playing it very straight. Non of the strange punctuation or percussiveness. I'm not into bebop but I love Monk.

7. danny la rouge

Nobody plays like Monk. If you're playing a song, you have to play it with your own voice, not somebody else's.

8. killer b

the mcferrin/hancock take is wonderful. good call.

9. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Never realised there was as many versions, I expected a few but not dozens!! :eek:

10. killer b

welcome to jazz, firky. :cool:

11. danny la rouge

Sun Ra Arkestra:

12. danny la rouge

Kenny Burrell:

13. danny la rouge

George Russell:

Knotted and Left like this.
  14. danny la rouge

Anthony Braxton:

Knotted and Left like this.
  15. Left

Left aimless

I was just about to post that Dolphy one - fantastic

16. Left

Left aimless

A lot of covers seem to be closer to Miles' version than the original though

17. danny la rouge

It's a fantastic album.

18. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

all gone now :(. The original link Danny sent was the mofo. Any idea where to find it elsewhere danny?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  19. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

20. danny la rouge

Can't remember which one it was. Was it live? Here's Monk with Charlie Rouse.

Great version on this LP:

21. Cheesypoof

Nah, it aint that one. It was the short, three minute version, and ripped down from youtube for a long time now :(

22. danny la rouge

Ah. I only use YouTube to post on Urban, so I probably only heard that video when I posted it five years ago and never since.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  23. Cheesypoof

Yep, it's the rare gem in your original post. The bridge he did on that particular version was so special.

danny la rouge likes this.
  24. Cheesypoof

Have you seen 'The Jazz Baroness' about Pannonica's relationship with Monk? Absolutely brilliant. I finished the book recently too, The Baroness. Thank God she was there to help him out of scrapes and make his life easier. :)

25. danny la rouge

Yup. Got the DVD and the book. (The film is better).

Cheesypoof likes this.
  26. Cheesypoof

I concur.

27. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Jimmy McGriff's version, the last thing ever played on the old Radio Caroline