Roughest/Nicest parts of Leeds?

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by Revol, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Revol

Revol New Member

Just wondering what the general opinion is on the nice areas and the rough parts of Leeds are. I'd say:

Rough
    Gipton
    Halton Moor
    Holbeck
    Chapeltown
    Belle Isle
    Beeston
    Seacroft
    Osmondthorpe
    East End Park
    Richmond Hill
    Armley
    Bramley
    Middleton

Nice
    Roundhay
    Alwoodley
    Moortown
    Shadwell
    Gledhow
    Adel
    Chapel Allerton
    Horsforth
    Pudsey
    Wortley
    Rodley
    Colton
    Otley
    Morley

It's a pretty well known fact that most of the rough areas are in the South and East, and the nice parts are in the North and parts of the West.

2. johnnymarrsbars

johnnymarrsbars www.friendrock.co.uk

ive got family in bramhope..its pretty nice

3. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I used to live in Harehills many years ago and that was ruff, RUFF, RUFF! but maybe it's got all gentrified since.....:eek:

When I lived there I thought Headingly was nice but I don't know if it still is.

4. Bingo

Bingo Shitty-shoed bastard

My end of Armley's fine, not rough at all!

And dunno where ya got Wortley as nice from... really.. come on!

5. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

How we defining rough here? Minor violence and shouting, the odd burnt-out car, the odd shooting? Or just poor?

Never saw Chapeltown being rough, despite its reputation. Or Armley.
    Isn't Morley something of a BNP-electing hole?
    Little London ain't so pretty.

Meanwood's pretty easy. And Kirkstall.

6. Bramley is not that bad. I grew up in Moortown and live in Bramley. Sure it's different.

It's really NOT that bad. Touch wood nothing has happened to me in this house (been here three years). The insurance is less than my Dad's as well which pisses him off no end. :D

Also, Chapeltown isn't necessarily *that* bad depending where you are and also even visiting Belle Isle today (where my sons school is ) doesn't look as bad as maybe it's reputation is.

Give Bramley a chance...! There are some nice parts actually, I can tell you pretty much where to avoid...

I'm a bit surprised you classified Pudsey and Wortley as 'nice'. My sis lived in Wortley it's not *bad* but it's not posh either.

Armley - you can't really generalise there are some okay bits too.

Edit: I would steer clear of Seacroft too but then maybe I don't know where the good/ bad areas of it are well enough. Same for burmantofts/ lincoln green area.

7. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

DEFINITELY wouldn't say all of pudsey was nice. parts are, parts aren't..same as Bramley...same as ANYWHERE :p

Keighley's great, though, and only 25 mins train from Leeds centre. quicker than the buses in leeds ;)

8. pennimania

pennimania still dre and drooling

I spent my formative years in Horsforth and although it may be quite 'nice' - I wouldn't want to live there now.

Rawdon isn't bad.

9. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

probbly only places in Leeds i feel OK are Harehills and Chapeltown..not everyone's cup of tea, but i've never had a problem.

10. Horsforth is quite yuppyish now, Rawdon is well posh!

I still say Bramley is worth a look. :)

11. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I'd agree with a lot of comments here (Gipton, East End Park, etc.) - but it's still a bit difficult to generalise about a lot of other places (e.g. Chapeltown which is no way as bad as it's portrayed). If you take Meanwood for example, some bits are lovely - but you only have to walk about 400 yeards in a different direction and you're in shitsville! Horsforth has a posh reputaion but there are bits of it that are rough as old arseholes as well.... :)

12. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

My EX-husband, and his family come from Horsforth. So I'm Anti-there now...however. a move to there WAS under consideration a few years ago. but it never happened. which i'm VERY glad about now :p

13. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Leeds? Meh! Don't like it. Cheap-looking red brick crap. Gimme the sandstone splendour of Bradford and the Aire Valley anyday ;) :D

14. pah! Red bricked..

some nice local bramley pubs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

local swimming pool (with jacuzzi!!)

[​IMG]

There's also some quite nice views out of the aire valley and up to ilkley.

15. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

The lovely Woodhouse where we live = rough. No two ways.

16. Bingo

Bingo Shitty-shoed bastard

Thought Woodhouse was quality... the ridge is beautiful, lived on Hartley Avenue never heard a peep from the local kids... well chilled =D

17. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

Ah, that's a quiet road though innit. I thought Woodhouse was ok (it's a few years ago I was there mind), apart from the fireworks whizzing around the streets from the moment they went on sale each year :)

18. Teepee

Teepee like livewire voodoo

I don't know much about Leeds, I have a mate who lives in a big tower block of flats, all or which are different ascending rainbow colours. You pass by them as you come in on the train and they're next to the benefit office (the brick building with the weird antenna on top.) Anyone know the place I mean?

Anyway, that place feels a bit dodgy.

19. Revol

Revol New Member

I added Seacroft, Chapel Allerton and Gledhow (where I live) to my list.

Bramley and Armley, while they aren't as bad as some of the other areas I listed, are pretty bad according to a few people I know who live there.

Wortley, while it's hardly got a reputation for being posh is still nice and pleasant. Probably on the same level as Gledhow.

I know Chapeltown isn't as bad as people say it is BUT it's still pretty run down. I had a brother who lived there, moved to Miggy and I'll tell you, he's much happier in Miggy.

Morley does have BNP support but in terms of social rather than political probelms it's nice.

Woodhouse? I go to College there and sometimes walk through the backstreets on the way. Doesn't seem rough, just your typical red brick studenty area like the neigbouring Burley and Hyde Park.

As for the upper-class places like Horsforth and Pudsey. They are on the whole nice but they indeed do have some bad factors. My mate has been mugged several time in the Roundhay area too.

20. Spion

Spion I hear ya

:eek:

21. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

Burmantofts?

22. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

what? leeds?? couldn't agree more ;) :D

23. I think Morley voted the BNP out last elections.

You can't label the whole of Bramley as 'dodgy' ( it's a small town ffs!! There are different bits) And as much as I don't like it you can hardly class *all* of Pudsey as being the same (it's definitely, definitely NOT posh!!!!):D

24. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I used to drink in the Daisy years ago when my mate lived in Station Place - lovely pub! Is it still so?

Must back you up about Bramley - some lovely bits (apart from the Broadlea estate....).

25. It seems to be a nice pub yeah.:)

26. debsinleeds

debsinleeds northern minx

morley is as rough as a dogs arse

27. Is it that bad?? All of it? Was in Morley today (briefly).

28. debsinleeds

debsinleeds northern minx

in my experience it can be, got loads of gangs etc... rough pubs...
    some areas of morley are nice
    maybe i just know loads of rough people?

29. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Rough Areas:
    Gipton
    Seacroft
    Lincoln Green
    Brackenwood
    Little London
    Hairhills
    East End Park
    Armely
    Beeston
    Lingfeilds
    Bramley
    Middleton
    Richmond Hill
    Holbeck
    Chapeltown
    Parts of Woodhouse

Nice areas:
    Roundhay
    Alwoodley
    Shadwell
    Gledhow
    Adel
    Chapel Allerton
    Horsforth
    Pudsey
    Wortley
    Rodley
    Colton
    Otley
    Morley

This is my opinion. I didn't put moortown in because of its size there are numerous rough and nice areas in it.

30. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

What do people mean by 'rough'?

Undesireable? Seems an awfully snobby thing to discuss.

J Ed and Frances Lengel like this.