1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room 2: soulful house & garage

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Mar 4, 2013.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

2. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

3. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

love Maw's mix of Desire, awesome. Heavily influenced by this.....

ska invita likes this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

:cool: good spot!
    and what a tune too
    just the kind of lyrics sadly missing from pop music today

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Cowley likes this.
  5. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Yeah a mate of mine turned me onto that Intruders track around the time of when Desire was released. It's an amazing tune, one of my favourite Disco/Soul records.

6. ska invita

Don Cornelius introduces them in that clip as being from Philly - Im not that knowledgable on this, I know what people call the Philly Sound is an earlier, string-laden soul thing, but I think in the mid 70s they had this kind of groovey, funky disco sound, some what of their own

Cowley likes this.
  7. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Yeah def big Philly sound, MFSB were one of the leaders of this sound, they did "Love is the Message" which is credited as one of the most important Disco Records. I have collected some Philly records, mainly the mid 70's Disco stuff which as you say was very string laden, kind of orchestral and live, really big productions, very well produced.

Ironically one of my favourite songs from that Philly era is a Soul song...it's Archie Bell and the Drells, amazing song and the drums are just killer

[/QUOTE]

Fez909, stethoscope and ska invita like this.
  8. ska invita

Cowley likes this.
  9. ska invita

anyone know the philly number Norman would always start his show with? stethoscope? stringed up uptempo instrumental with the words Dance! Dance! chucked in as a chorus

10. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

This?

Damn I miss Giant 45 on a Sunday evening :(

Cowley and ska invita like this.
  11. ska invita

12. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

I think if he'd been treated a bit better by the Beeb, he'd have eventually settled for a 1xtra or 6Music show tbh. I'm sure Gordon Mac tried to tempt him a few times to Colourful (and probably Mi-Soul too), but he didn't want to be restricted to an internet only station iirc.

13. ska invita

There must be an FM station that would snap him - the mans a radio leg-end. Magic FM? :D

14. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Agree with you guys on it being a shame Norman Jay not having a show, was a regular listener too.

Slightly off topic, but I regularly see Norman in Brixton, saw him in Currys the other year and also walking down Brixton Road a couple of months back!

ska invita likes this.
  15. ska invita

thanks so much for this - been playing it all day
    ...and as for soul train dancing :cool:

looking at the youtube comments on Desire it looks like it was a big hit in Italy!

this is a nice read written and picked by MAW:
    Top 20 Masters At Work tracks: Put together by Louie Vega and Kenny Dope
    http://www.grooveodyssey.com/blog/i...ficial-top-20-tracks-by-louie-vega-kenny-dope

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    stethoscope and Cowley like this.
  16. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Nice one, yeah the Intruders song is such a classic, I can listen to that groove forever!

That's a great read and I confess to having most of those MAW records, I am a MAW "nut". Collect as much of there stuff as possible on Vinyl, especially all those classics from the 80's and 90's. :)

17. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Huge night in Plan B this weekend

[​IMG]

I'm already at a party round my way, though might head down there later on.:hmm:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    ska invita likes this.
  18. Coolfonz

Coolfonz Not cool or a member of the Fonz family

Sure. Seven Davis Jr

Henrik Schwarz

many more...

Kerri Chandler in BCN Saturday, anyone fancy it? ;)

19. ska invita

Whats BCN?

this is lovely - Git - Higher (Yoruba mix) <Osunalde
    great vocal and lyrics

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  20. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Barcelona?

21. Coolfonz

Yes sorry, but international jet set is quite soulful house.

Kerri and Maceo Plex at different clubs on the same night. Puta madre etc

22. Coolfonz

That is a terrific track.

ska invita likes this.
  23. ska invita

heard a great tune on the radio today...
    ....first time the chorus came round my ears pricked up and wondered what was this - unusual melody and falsetto and vibrato - does it work?
    ....second time the chorus came round i thought yeah, this is great
    ...into the next section the square lead line came in and i was grooving out
    ...by the third chorus i was goosepimpling out!

managed to get an ID on it....
    Steal Vybe Presents Jon Pierce - Be Free (Louie Vega Dance Ritual Mix)

great lyrics, great musicianship, great groove - perfect house track

not surprisingly Louis Vega had a hand but the little clip of the original non-LV mix doesnt sound so different

Hadnt heard of Steal Vybe before - checking their discography and if you like the track above there seems to be plenty more where that came from...heres a random one

*another killer
    Steal Vybe feat Rich Medina- Spiritual Life

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  24. Coolfonz

Oh crikey, crikey...what a track.

ska invita likes this.
  25. ska invita

lovely tune fonz - though through life experiences ive become more cynical to the concept of 'forever' as the be all and end all which slightly colours it for me. still a sweet track though

26. Coolfonz

Yeah it should be called `until you put on weight` ;)

27. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

I was mocked by my mates back when Jungle was getting big, 'cos I wasn't into a lot of it and much preferred going to see Graeme Park rather than Micky Finn DJ. Think these 2 tracks are my favourites from that period, still sounding good today, US House/Garage always had far superior production values compared to a lot of the British tunes of that time as well, so they always sounded nice if the system they were being played on was up to it.

28. ska invita

Amazing DJ Spinna mix on Josey Rebelles show on Rinse this morning - will post a link when it goes up - Spinna playing some wonderful downbeat soulful house tunes - really excellent selection

Spinna promoting his soulful house remix comp out on BBE - The Sound Beyond Stars - The Essential Remixes
    http://bbemusic.com/releases/BBE262CDG_MP3/DJ Spinna - DJ Spinna presents The Sound Beyond Stars - The Essential Remixes

i think he was playing some tunes off that in the mix, which makes me think theres going to be lots of gems in there

29. ska invita

linky link
    http://podcast.dgen.net/rinsefm/podcast/JoseyRebelle010215.mp3

30. dialectician

dialectician shoot doctors

I think I somewhat get it now. Still not a style I'd go out and dance to, i like to hear the cities, electronic sounds and decay in my dance music, like it to reflect my experiences.

Also i feel with this kind of music dancing to it alone kind of defeats the point, it's not abstract and introspective, feels like you need to be with a significant other (or someone you've met) on the dancefloor, not a room full of serious angry men and women, and then go home and fuck rather than get back home from a techno gig and read Deleuze whilst drinking beer.

I guess I'll stick to my raw and frayed around the edges chicago and detroit house. Maybe when I'm a romantic buffoon I'll go out and dance to the NYE sound :p

It's definitely nice music to listen to at home though!

ska invita likes this.