Roland TR-808 current prices.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danski, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Name change. Maybe the trademark thing is causing the hold up?

Anyway, this looks ace. Defo getting this the second I can.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    electroplated likes this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I'm big into expressive controllers such as the Linnstrument and the Roli stuff, and I've spoken to Roger in a forum about some of the stuff covered in that article before. Its quite funny, Roger is brilliant and friendly, but his views about what counts as art and expressive performance are quite narrow in some ways. Thats fine, it reflects his own tastes and preferences, but its not the whole valid picture. There is a side to me that loves the very same music and the solo performance aspects that he pretty much considers to be the be all and end all of this, but I know I will never be a good enough player myself to achieve that, so I have a more hybrid approach that involves plenty of programming. And I like lots of other sorts of music too, that I dont think he does.

Just to give a small example of how these varying attitudes can affect the world of expressive MPE controllers and synths. Roger would tend to focus on direct physical movements of the player replacing certain traditional uses of lfos. But I've found that using something like polyphonic key/pad pressure to control the rate of an lfo is every bit as valid in terms of the expressiveness of the player making it into the music.

I've gone completely crazy for VCV Rack 1.0 at the moment, oops I got far too many modules for it and am now a tad overwhelmed. Version 1 supports MPE, and has polyphonic cables, but at the moment I am mostly using it for non-MPE stuff. I already have a Drumbrute Impact so I wont be getting the RD-8, and if I can get my lazy arse into gear I am about to experiment with using euclidean sequencers in VCV rack to control the drumbrute impact via VCV midi out modules.

xenon, littleseb and Fez909 like this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I heard about tgis recently and it sounds good, but it's not a VST, right? How do you pipe into a DAW with it?

I'm guessing using Soundflower or something (on a Mac)?

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

So far when I am using it, it is at the heart of things, instead of a DAW. This might be part of the attraction to me at the moment, escaping the typical DAW paradigms can be inspiring. I do like Bitwig 3 though, and its grid.

The older versions of VCV rack had a bridge which allowed them to connect to a DAW via the VST bridge. I never tried it, and this bridge is discontinued and not available for v1. I believe there will be a VST2 64-bit version of VCV Rack available for $99 sometime around the end of the year.

edited to add - I have done the other way around though, where I use VCV Rack as a VST 2 64-bit plugin host (using a VCV module that costs a little bit of money). ValhallaDelay is a most excellent plugin, and so far I've mostly just used the VST Host module to make that available to me in VCV.

Fez909 likes this.
  6. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

I saw that the other day too. I really like the fact it's got separate outputs. Not that I need another drum machine...
    Literally as I type this, I'm tracking solo'd drum parts from the 808 patch on my Roland SH-32. Basically doing several passes to get the kick, snare, clap etc on their own audio tracks. Just having the above would save time but alas my gear budget is non existent for the foreseeable...

Fez909 likes this.
  7. xenon

Oh yeah, since I posted on this in Jan, I did get a Novation Circuit. Saw a good price on Ebay and it's a great little machine for composing / roughing out ideas. Firmware updated regularly too. you can move notes off the grid manually for more expressive natural sounding performances now. Wish you could have more than 8 patterns per part but you can chain sessions together.

8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Yeah, the multiple outs is great. Gonna need a new interface though once I get that...

$$$$$ :mad:

9. xenon

Or little mixer. I have an old Focusrite Saffire Pro26 interface. 6 analogue ins. Everything's just plugged in directly. Except my main synth module also has audio ins / outs so I daisy chain my controller / synth keyboard through that.

10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I don't have hardware effects so I'd need the individual channels to go into Ableton. I think I need either a USB mixer or an interface? Interfaces are cheaper, soooo...

11. xenon

Actually :facepalm: mixer wouldn't help as you'd still want to record the parts separately without having to do multiple passes.

Have you got music online?

Fez909 likes this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I rarely finish anything :facepalm: so nothing online except this, which I don't particularly like:

Chilli.s, souljacker and elbows like this.
  13. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Are you me?!

Fez909 likes this.
  14. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

You saying you don't like my tune :mad: :D

danski likes this.
  15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Behringer 808 is up for pre-order. I've just got one. 5 week wait for delivery :(

electroplated likes this.
  16. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Really liking the look/sound of this thing:

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yeah it does look quite nice - I have their cheap Craftsynth 2.0 and Skulpt and they sound really nice, but the point of having them as hardware is somewhat negated by knobs that feel real cheap and nasty. So this thing will probably be a nice step up from that.

I suspect the desktop version of the ASM Hydrasynth may grab my attention away from the Argon8 though. I dont have space for the keyboard version thats in this review, though the poly aftertouch is a very nice feature that has been sorely missed in recent decades.

18. souljacker

souljacker innit

Just as a side question, can anyone recommend 303/808/909 VSTs? I used to love rebirth but that a) wasnt a VST and b) has been discontinued.

Preferably a freebie but I'll pay for a decent one. I had one a while back but it was overly complicated and I never got one with it. Can't remember what it was called.

19. danski

Audiorealism ABL3 is amazing. 303.
    I got mine second hand and had to have the licence transferred but they were really helpful. Sounds perfect to my ears.
    AudioRealism Bass Line 3

Fez909 and souljacker like this.
  20. danski

Audiorealism ABL3 is amazing. 303.
    I got mine second hand and had to have the licence transferred but they were really helpful. Sounds perfect to my ears.
    AudioRealism Bass Line 3

If you use code ADM909 you can get 40% off!

xenon and souljacker like this.
  21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Woop! Just arrived :cool:

[​IMG]

22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Enjoy and please report back on how much fun you've had with it :)

Fez909 likes this.
  23. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

FMGE!

Fucking Massive Gear Envy!

xenon, ohmyliver and Fez909 like this.
  24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Behringer 303 clone incoming?

ohmyliver, danski and fishfinger like this.
  25. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Leak confirms it:

[​IMG]

built in distortion unit is nice. Will probably be very cheap and sound great. Guess it goes onto the want list :hmm:

26. I've only just read this thread, and wondered if anyone can give me a hand.

I used to be a musician and then gave all my kit away, destroyed my lyric book etc to erase any trace of what I had done before.

Of course, it never leaves you, so a couple of years ago I bought new kit. And I could not get rid of the latency problems.

So I haven't used it for two years, but I would love to.

If I update everything and post up my set up would anyone be willing to give me pointers as to how to solve the latency issues so I can play again?

I'd be very very grateful

27. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Where are you experiencing the latency? What's your setup?

Fez909 likes this.
  28. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Yep, post your setup. Hardware, interface, DAW, etc.

AverageJoe likes this.
  29. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

I hope the 303 clone gets to market before Roland's lawyers curb stomp 'em. Fez909 is the rd808 as good as it looks?

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Annoyingly I was away last weekend and been too busy this week to get chance to play with it properly.

Had about an hour messing when it got delivered and it's ace and sounds great :thumbs:

ohmyliver likes this.