Roland TR-808 current prices.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danski, Jan 7, 2011.

1. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Not sure if this is what you’ll want to make stylewise but it’s as good a demo as I’ve seen

2. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Can you make a full track on the TR8-S and save it to be uploaded to your PC? Can you put a layer of synth sounds over your beats using inbuilt sounds that you tap out on the keys over the drum beat?

3. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

The TR-8 and all the other Roland Aira range double up as USB sound cards so you can record the audio digitally to your computer - either individual channels for further processing/editing in your DAW or just the main mix (or both) - so yes, you can make a track and upload to your PC but the TR-8S is a sampler in addition to drum machine so not technically a synth in the traditional sense and will have limitations compared to a dedicated hard or software synth. You'll also be missing a traditional piano keyboard interface to play melodies/basslines on unless you get one separately to the TR-8S.

Having said that, you could definitely have a load of fun with just the TR-8S to get you started, then use any of the DAWs (Ableton/reaper/cubase/logic etc) mentioned to add additional sounds and FX and more flexible sequencing and arrangement options once you get the taste for it...

danski and Favelado like this.
  4. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Great answer. Thanks for taking the time.

electroplated likes this.
  5. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

I had an RT 909 at one time.

Fuck me! I just had a look on E-Bay, they are selling for two grand! I sold mine for about two hundred quid! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

RT 909 - Google Search

Favelado likes this.
  6. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I was struggling to get my head round Sas as an acid house producer before I clicked on the link. Disappointed (though not surprised) to learn you were just posting about something totally unrelated which had a vaguely similar name.

Fez909 and maomao like this.
  7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I recently disinterred my Electribe EA-1. I'd forgotten how much fun they were. The newer ones look even more fun!

electroplated likes this.
  8. killer b

I can get onboard with you as an acid house producer though. got any recordings?

9. ViolentPanda

Like the old Kawai drum machines, where you could stick the ROM from the R100 in the R50, and get all the extra options.

10. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

No. It was an awesome bit of kit at the time though. :)

11. ViolentPanda

Used it as a filter for external sounds, mostly. No ACEEED! I'm afraid. There were some DATs in the box with the Electribe, but the box was very damp (the baseplate of the electribe is rusty, and I'm REALLY surprised it actually worked perfectly when I fired it up!), so the DATs are currently with my brother-in-law, who's drying them out, then will attempt to transfer them, if the magnetic oxide on the tape hasn't separated from the base. I hope he's successful, as there's some recordings of Greebo singing (mostly poetry over simple tunes) that we both want to hear again.

Enviro and Fez909 like this.
  12. killer b

13. ViolentPanda

Reel-to-reels have been at "stupid money" levels for about 10 yrs now. Even the bottom of the market brands like Grundig sell for a lot more than they're actually worth. It would be understandable if they were easy to keep in trim, but a service is £100-and upwards for even a domestic/consumer machine, let alone a Revox or similar.

14. ViolentPanda

I don't have the deck anymore (lent it to someone who buggered off to Spain without returning it), just the tapes. Greebo sent him a very polite letter, telling him he'd been cursed. :D
    Nowadays I only lend kit out on the understanding that I'll kick in the borrower's front door if they don't return it within the agreed period.

E2A: Fuck. They've held their price well, haven't they? :eek:

15. electroplated

Still have my EA1 and ER1 - was always a massive fan of the ER1 as I seem to have a drum machine fetish and it was my first... own far too many right now (TR-606, TR-707, acidlab Miami 808 clone, MPC2500 sampling drum machine, Yocto 808 DIY clone currently needing to be built, TR-8, ER1 and a Volca off the top of my head :D) now and still gagging for more

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    ohmyliver, ViolentPanda and danski like this.
  16. ViolentPanda

I'm currently gathering the components to build CircuitBender's CB55, a desktop/eurorack module designed around the Boss DR55, but without the sequencer (good job, as external sequencers are better!). I'm getting back into making noises, concentrating on modular, but won't get rid of any of my other hardware. Nowadays it's so much easier to integrate stuff!

Collecting drum machines is a new perversion to me, though. Is that a Teenage Engineering PO-12 in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

xenon and electroplated like this.
  17. electroplated

If I still had the funds I'm sure I'd have a PO-12 in my pocket and you'd be pleased to see me :D Sadly having to sell off a lot of hardware right now to keep the lights on but there's some bits you'll have to prise out of my cold dead hands.....

18. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

As it is the NAMM tradeshow now, various companies have news, whether it be completely new products or ones already announced getting much closer to release. Behringer no exception....

19. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

hasn't rebirth been removed from the app store on instruction from Roland?

20. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Indeed, that happened in 2017.

Propellerhead's ReBirth is no more as Roland claims IP infringement

Does make me wonder if Roland will try to go after Behringer who are being more than a little cheeky with others IP. If they dont bother, then I dont think anyone will.

21. ohmyliver

Favelado If you wanted to dip your feet into the water, then something like a Novation Circuit may be the way to go, 2 synths, 4 sample based drum channels, you're able to chain patterns together, and apply reverb and fx to them, fairly easy to fuck around with the synths, upload different synths to it, upload different samples, etc. You can also use it to send midi to other instruments (for example works very nicely with the super lovely MB33 retro which is basically a 303 in a small German box for under 100 second hand, although two transistors differ and you need something to send midi to it).

Not to be over the top but it changed my life as it's a really intuative hands-on, knob twisty, button/pad pushin' interface, really easy to produce loops which sound OK, you can be making stuff in seconds from turning it on, where as DAWs I've found fiddly, and my ADHD kicks in and says 'too much fiddly, too complex, boring'. It's also 180-200 second hand. Although I ended up paying 180 plus a block of cheese for it over Gumtree.

Although it's finest moment was when my kid and her cousin (aged 4 3/4 and 5) produced a Digital Hardcoresque loop of distorted kick drums and then proceeded to pogo manically to it whilst shouting 'WE'RE IN A BAND!' for about 2 mins before I had to rush over and turn it off due to it's volume and headache inducingness)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  22. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Thread should be renamed to "synth gear chat" or something

ohmyliver and Fez909 like this.
  23. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

If only there was some kind of sub forum for this kind of thing ;)

Lucy Fur and ohmyliver like this.
  24. ohmyliver

Although if you've got the cash the Synthstrom Deluge is the current don of grooveboxes, sequencer, synths, drums, mic/line in for sampling, midi controller, fx, 6 hours battery life, very portable, yada yada yada. I'm not connected to the company, but having one has turned me into an tedious evangelist, because it's that good. 950 dollars inc delivery plus import taxes though. Amazing device, amazing company behind it (check the functionality on release, and check the functionality now), great community which the company listen to and build updates around what people want etc. Synth/drum kits files use xml, so a fair number of community built tools.

and just for the mid 90s Jungle Amen mashupness

Enviro likes this.
  25. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The deluge looks really nice, although they took the retro look too far with just a 4 character 7-seg display IMO. A little more verbosity would make things much less mysterious.

26. ohmyliver

it's initially annoying, but as a lot of visual information is conveyed elsewhere (i.e. levels for things like volumne/fx are shown next to the knobs on the top left, sample wave forms are shown on the pads themselves when you're setting start and end points) it becomes not a thing quickly. I think the UX is designed to get you concentrating on notes, sequences, and sound over menu diving.

I lasted about 4-5 months after discovering it of trying hard to not want it and trying to talk myself out of buying it before caving. Although I really don't regret caving in the slightest.

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I wanted a Deluge but my moment of peak want happened many months ago when they were out of stock. And I have doubts about how much effort I will really put into devices that require a lot of memories to be formed by me about what every light and button does in different modes, without enough visual cues. All manner of devices have failed to gel with me in the past, ether because the workflow felt too clunky to me and proved to be incompatible with having my brain in a musically creative mode, or because things were just too obscure and error-prone for me to often, usually because of deficiencies in the screen and what info it could provide simultaneously. Having said that, I can still imagine giving the Deluge a try one day, it does seem to have a good mix of useful, powerful and fun/creative features.

Meanwhile the first thing I've heard coming from NAMM that I wouldnt be surprised to see me buying this year is the Arturia MicroFreak.

electroplated and Fez909 like this.
  28. ohmyliver

*cough* just like my brain, I use about 5% of the D's capeabilities. It's the immediacy which makes me love it. Up and making bars/loops in seconds of switching it on. I've not really delved into making synths and pissing about with oscilators yet, although as the sampling is really quick and easy I have done things like sit in the garden and sample birdsong, and, err, make a lame beat from that, or sample my neighbour noodling around on an achoustic guitar, and loop cut ups of that over the kicks and snares from Planet Rock.

That Microfreak sounds great. Sadly I'm now between jobs, so I'm not even googling the price of that.

29. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

iMPC Pro 2

This is rather good if you own an iPad.

30. electroplated

Love everything about that Microfreak apart from the keyboard.

Totally agree with Crispy that the Deluge went too far with the 4 char old school display, but the rest looks great, albeit not giving me massive GAS for some reason.

Very much back on track I've just sold my TR-8 and upgraded to a TR-8S and it is truly a whole different beast, absolutely loving it and very impressed with how much more Roland have crammed into it than the original. So good in fact it's galvanised my decision to sell my Acidlab Miami seeing as Behringer is about to destroy the Roland TR-808 analog clone market with their much cheaper and more authentic looking/functioning RD-808 by the looks of things...