Roland TR-808 current prices.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danski, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JE:5

JE:5 Ten minutes from frozen

souljacker likes this.
  2. han

han brixton hill hobbit

yep - 10 years ago that wasn't the case but everything is better with software now, methinks.

I do love an old analogue synth or drum machine though - they're things of beauty (I still feel sad thinking of my 303 wot I sold!)

3. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

I'm waiting for the guy selling those to get back to me once the parts are in stock.... will go nicely with the 303 (x0xb0x) I built.

The x0xb0x sounds better than any software 303 emulation I've used and is certainly much more fun to play with.

4. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I was thinking of buying the Roland TR-08 to play around with. I know nothing about music production but it's never too late to start. How would you save what you produced on it? Does it have an internal memory?

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It does, but as a tool for creating tunes it’s limited. Unless you’re really set on playing with hardware you’ll get better results with something like a copy of Ableton Live.

6. Favelado

I think I'd really enjoy having a piece of kit to play with and it's the nostalgia of that era. I have no experience with all of this - wouldn't it be more daunting for me to start with Ableton than one particular machine?

7. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

I think there is a version that can sample or at least playback samples. Adds another dimension.

Eta... of the Roland.

8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

For playing around and making some beats it would be good fun. But you’ll only be making drum loops on it. If you wanted to stick with hardware you could then go down the route of adding more bits, but that way lies a large bill, and needing space to set it all up :D

The learning curve for programs like Ableton is reasonably steep, yes. But like most subjects if you get the hang of some core principles it all clicks into place.

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Ableton is defo the way to go (initially) IMO, but if you like it, there's some Berhinger clones of 808s/909s and some other machines coming out very soon, and they look great.

I'm getting my first hardware synths as soon as these are out:

Behringer previews Roland TR-909 drum machine clone, RD-909

Superbooth 2018: MS-101 revealed! Behringer own up to their SH-101 clone - gearnews.com

Both due v v soon.

This is also on the way, but not near production yet:

Behringer teases sub-$400 price for its 808 clone

I'll be getting that, too.

10. Favelado

This is the Roland brand 808 and 909 combined thing. I think I absolutely definitely have to have it.

Roland - TR-8 | Rhythm Performer

It's 615 euros on Amazon. Decent price?

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The TR-8s is better, but even more espensive. Either would be great, though.

The Behringer ones will be ~£299

12. Favelado

Here's a question too.

Back in the mid 80s - were the early house producers running stuff through a computer at all or just using hardware kit? How do you make house the way they did it and how much would it cost me to get the same basic set up as them? Let's say I have a drum machine, a sampler and a synth and all the wires and stuff I need.

Is it doable?

13. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

Don’t bother mate. Get a cgkorg volca beats. Significantly cheaper than even the reissue. Is analogue mostly as well.

14. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

Seriously if you want affordable hardware the Volcas are great. They have on-board sequences. I’ve got the keys, good fun.

SpookyFrank, Fez909 and Favelado like this.
  15. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

Totally doable. Besides able on, look at reaper. It’s complicated but very powerful, affordable and flexible.

16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

If you've got an ipad, get rebirth and save yourself £990

17. Favelado

Okay. But my question is - what kit did A Guy Called Gerald have? Was he running music through an Atari ST programme or just using hardware?
    Imagine i wanted to make Voodoo Ray in 1988 - what would I have used to make it?

18. Favelado

Okay - I've now found new TR-8's on sale for 379 euros. That looks okay.

19. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

If you're determined to go standalone, why not something like the Korg Electribe (or whatever they make these days that's like it). Drums, Synth, all in a portable package. You can make a whole track on one.

Favelado likes this.
  20. Favelado

That sounds interesting to me. I'd be very interested in something like this as well.

21. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

Or the teenage engineering OPZ

In the 80s yeah maybe something like that. Or a standalone sequencer.. I still say give reaper a go. Midi and audio.

22. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

There's an interesting article about Gerald here: A Guy Called Gerald Unofficial Web Page - Article: Computer Music - CM135 - A Guy Called Gerald

He didn't use the atari for sequencing on Voodoo Ray I don't think, just various bits of kit and multitrack.

Favelado likes this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Lots of them used old computers like Ataris, yes. But if you wanted to do it without a computer you'd need:

Sound sources: synths, drum machines, samplers, fx etc.
    A sequencer
    A mixer
    A recording device.

Here's a video (that I haven't watched yet, but Synthmania are good) that looks to explain what you're asking:

Favelado likes this.
  24. Favelado

Jesus - don't think my salary will pay for that lot. Maybe I'll buy that Korg thing Crispy mentioned and see where I am after I've learnt how to play with that. The TR-8S looks gorgeous. Have you seen this?

https://www.roland.com/global/products/tr-8s/

This one is 615 euros and the TR-8 older model 400 odd.

25. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I mentioned it up thread :)

Your options are (from cheapest to most expensive):

Ableton - Does everything you need and can be *ahem* evaluated for free
    An all in one jobbie like Crispy mentioned - Like Ableton in a box with buttons. More fun, but also more limited.
    One/some of the Korg Volca series like xenon mentioned. More fun, fairly cheap (but each thing only does one function, so you'll need multiple 'things', pretty cheap, but still will add up when ~£100 each. Plus a mixer.
    One/more of the clones/alternative synths that are around. Same as Volca above, but $ to $$$$$, depending on what you choose.
    Buy original equipment (you can't afford it).

Favelado likes this.
  26. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

If you're going to spend 500-1000 then the Teenage Engineering machines look really really nice. The OP-1 looks amazing. Deliberately designed to be intuitive and fun to use.

Favelado likes this.
  27. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

100% install it all in your car :thumbs:

souljacker, Fez909 and Favelado like this.
  28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Probably not a great time to try to get an OP-1, I think they have gone out of stock most places since the OP-Z finally came out, even though the OP-Z is not a like for like replacement for the OP-1.

29. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

As for the Korg Electribe, unless something changed in their lineup recently, there are 2 different versions of this ciurrently available. One has a synth, the other a sampler. I think people found a way to swap firmware between the two models so you could change your mind about which one you want after purchase, but this sort of unofficial firmware hackery is often a pain in the arse that won't work with very latest firmware versions, some people bricked their devices, etc.

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

TE said they're making more