Roland TR-808 current prices.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danski, Jan 7, 2011.

1. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Like the title says.
    Anyone know the going rate?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

No idea, but you'd have to be bonkers to buy one.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  3. danski

quite ;)

4. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

last time i looked they were around the £1000 mark on ebay, which is a fair bit more than they were a couple of years back IIRC.

5. danski

:eek:

6. electroplated

ebay is exceptionally pricey for that sort of thing... in fact I looked just now and the last 3 sold went for between £1200 and £1500!!!

7. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Rip-off.

Any amount of emulators out there far better sounding.

8. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

Waste of money IMO. Buy yourself this instead:

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/superanalog808.html

load into your preferred sampler/vsti 'drum machine' and away you go. Of course you haven't got the 'cache' of owning an 808, but it's what you produce not what it's produced on IMO!

9. danski

Thanks for all the help.
    I'm not actually looking to buy anyhting, just doing research ;)

10. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

11. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

i'm getting the distinct impression that the op will be making an ebay listing in the not too distant ;)

12. danski

what ever gives you that idea? ;) :D

13. xes

xes F.O.A.D

I'll give you a tenner for it :)

:hmm:

14. electroplated

15. pk

Give it a good clean with Isopropyl spray, and you should be minted.

Amazed people are still holding onto them given the amount of virtual emulators out there now.

16. miniGMgoit

Beard strokers innit?

17. electroplated

i dunno, i would genuinely like one, as I really love the feel of old hardware (and even it's idiosyncrasies). For example I recently built myself a 303 replica (thread here) and it kicks the shit out of any 303 software I've tried for both sound and hands on fun. Can't think of anything better to sync it up to than an actual 808.

Having said that, I mainly built it as a way of learning a bit more about audio electronics as that's somthing that's always interested me and I definitely wouldn't buy a full price 2nd hand 303 or 808/909 etc.

wouldn't say that makes me a beard stroker, maybe a geek, but no more geeky than all my laptop based musical setup already makes me.

18. pk

There is a joy to the step-programming, the little LED lights crackling on and off.
    Trouble is you need to put limiters and compressors on it, spend another 400 quid just to make it sensible, otherwise the long kick will melt woofers.
    As a collector's item it's awesome, but as a functional machine, even with the cv sockets linked with all the other synths, at £1000 it's way more grief than it's worth.

19. danski

Wow! Just seen one in the states go on ebay for just under £1100.
    Blimey :)

20. miniGMgoit

It's crazy isn't it? I'd rather have a Machinedrum.

21. danski

That's why I'm selling it and some other stuff. Got a really good deal on one and a Monomachine, well relatively speaking as they aren't cheap but oh, so worth it:)

22. miniGMgoit

Good on you. They look like loads of fun. Everything the 808 is plus more. Accept if your a beard stroker that is :D

23. danski

Yeah, loads of fun but a real depth to them and I've hardly scratched the surface yet. Sadly don't seem to have much time to do so either.
    Still, they're not going anywhere :)

24. miniGMgoit

From what I can gather they're the only one worth bothering with. Your a lucky man/woman :)

25. danski

Ooh, I've never been called a manwoman before. Cheeky :D

26. electroplated

do you mean the monomachine as opposed to the machinedrum? I thought the machinedrum was meant to be great?

27. miniGMgoit

Either/Or. I would imagine the Monomachine does drums as well as synthesis all be it not to the extent the Machinedrum does. To be honest I've not looked into the Monomachine. Only the Machinedrum. I got a bit obsessed with it a while back. That and the Waldorf Blofeld.

28. miniGMgoit

:D

29. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

808? Beautiful piece of kit, very much a trophy piece in the studio, just like the Akai MPC 3000 or something like that. I'd love to own one, just like I'd love to own an original Fender Rhodes...but plenty of high end Plug-Ins or NI Maschine can give you all that a vintage drum synth gives you and some more.

30. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've got rebirth on the ipad. That'll do me :)