Robot DJ software mixes for you

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

My answer to this is always, given it's so easy and it's so well paid, why aren't you doing it?

sealion likes this.
  2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

cos it's easier sitting at the back of a room/hall/venue with an ipad init :D

Fez909 likes this.
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

surely there are some DJ's you respect and give credit to bees?

4. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I’ve been DJing for 20 odd years, everything from squat parties to weddings :D

ddraig likes this.
  5. beesonthewhatnow

There’s plenty good DJs. They’re just not doing something particularly difficult. DJing has been elevated into something far bigger than it actually is.

Play a record people like. Put another on. Play that. Repeat.

6. beesonthewhatnow

It’s a pretty cool iPad though to be fair, comes with this add on bit :hmm: :D

A5F72BAD-7D6D-47B1-914A-70DD91825477.jpeg

ddraig likes this.
  7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

that is the essence of it..and yet within that simple process theres a massive difference between shit djs, okay djs, run of the mill djs, grounbreaking djs, fun djs, skilled djs, foundation djs, exceptional djs, scene creating djs etc etc

here's a challenge: with all that experience, post up a mix online, show us how easy it is :thumbs:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Orang Utan and ddraig like this.
  8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Fez909 and ska invita like this.
  9. ska invita

the making a life-long, churning, dj career out of it, week in week out, is something i couldnt do if even it was handed on a plate to me. Well maybe I could but I dont know if Id like it. Planes, hotels, sleeping upside down, its fine for a time but when you see djs in their 50s and 60s still doing after 30 years i have a lot of respect for that - especially when they still push the cutting edge and show passion for what they do. I find the stamina of people like Grooverider an inspiration about how to age. Not only does he works his arse off, but he never looks back, always looking for new music, always trend setting, never following, always with genuine enthusiasm. I know even in DnB circles not everyone likes the tunes he plays (especially now) but there are several points in his career where quite simply he set the template for everyone else to follow - and that includes producers who start building tunes with the notion DJ X or Y might play them, and fitting to their taste. Theres a huge amount of work that goes on away from the decks to make that happen.

There are some djs out there who i really respect who had their moment as their scene had heat in it, but once the heat moves on they're nowhere to be seen. Thats fine, lots of bands come and go...but staying relevant and cutting edge for 30/40 years, and keeping your primetime slot at the best parties, thats another level

ddraig and Fez909 like this.
  10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yes but surely some have/do wowed ya?

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

I agree the adoration and status of people like aoki and deadmaus and others is bullshit but people like Jerome Hill or Grooverider or Andy C etc stay humble and still smash it everytime and as ska says they put the work in

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

It is. You need a good sense of rhythm to master it and takes as much skill as playing an instrument and takes a lot of practice.
    I lack that skill and don't have the patience to build it up by practice, so software that does it for you if you want to dj but can't beat match

13. Orang Utan

Yes it fucking is. I never mastered it, yet managed to get grade 5 on a trumpet.
    You need an good sense of rhythm and you need excellent listening skills. It can be difficult to listen to two rhythms simultaneously that are almost the same pitch but not quite, then you need to work out which is going faster than the other, make adjustments to the tempo of one so it matches the other one, THEN you have to coordinate them so they don't clash, all the deciding when to fade in/out or whatever.

Fez909 likes this.
  14. beesonthewhatnow

If you can count to 4 you can do it.

No. No, no, no.

It takes years to learn most instruments to a decent standard. You can learn to beatmatch competently a couple of records in an afternoon.

Still not even in the same league as something like a guitar or piano etc

alcopop likes this.
  15. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

I agree it's not the same as an mastering an instrument
    but it's also not as simple as counting to 4

16. Orang Utan

You only seem to be speaking for yourself and you're not listening to others' experiences.
    I learnt to play a scale on a trumpet during the first lesson. Have never managed to successfully beat match. It's quite a skill to have. You're lucky it comes easy to you. Not everyone is a natural.

17. ska invita

Not sure Id call him humble :D But I dont begrudge his swagger - hes earned it
    and at home with a nice set up is one thing, then on some ropey system where you cant hear anything in the dj booth is another challenge

beesonthewhatnow ? 20 years dj experience, can we hear it?

Fez909 and ddraig like this.
  18. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

you could maybe match 2 records but not be able to do a set or match another you'd not practised with imo

19. Orang Utan

No doubt it will be a selection of 20 year old crummy acid techno that all sounds the same

Fez909 and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah, did think after maybe he don't fit into that category :D

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

now now!!

22. beesonthewhatnow

:cool:

23. ska invita

Re; Shazam-Beatport-Sync… GO! <<<i do a bit of this tbh...Shazam all day long, then try and get an mp3...great way of hunting for new tunes
    that said yesterday i was 0 for 4 on my shazams - still lots of obscure things out there and also djs playing pre-releases (which was the case in this zero for four). Novelty excitement and ground breaking still going on amongst the better djs.
    As to the beatport top 100s, theres usually one tune in a hundred on there i like. The more clone djs/robots just want to play those tunes is fine by me, so long as i dont have to listen to them.

Fez909 likes this.
  24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Potentially not true...haven't tested the theory of this:

25. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

26. twentythreedom

twentythreedom BREAD FUCKING SAUCE

Like the time he turned up to play a top secret guest spot at Fishco :D:cool:

That was epic :thumbs:

Fez909 likes this.
  27. ska invita

exactly. no robot could replicate that ;)

Fez909 likes this.
  28. ska invita

29. Favelado

Favelado Oh you've got green eyes.

It was NOT funny.

30. squirrelp

squirrelp Banned Banned

I can't see robot DJs ever really truly emulating humans. They would have to continually exceed the volume you were telling them to play, consume drugs behind the DJ booth and have no idea what the words 'last tune' meant.

Beats & Pieces and ska invita like this.