RoboCop (reboot) 2013 remake

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Badgers, Jun 7, 2012.

1. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Saw this on Friday. I quite liked it. You had more of the man and machine stuff. Less of crime ravaged Detroit.

However, the moment near the end didn't quite work for me.
    The directive preventing him moving against an Omnicorp employee. In the original the old guy fires Dick Jones, allowing Robocop to shoot Jones. This version lacked that neat resolution just having Robocop force himself to shoot Sellars instead.

I need to watch the original again now though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Oh I don't know, I'm not a fan of modern films and CGI normally winds me up, but at least the way the director of Godzilla uses CGI it has moody atmosphere. We shall see.

The main trailer is out now.

vogonity and MellySingsDoom like this.
  3. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

Y'know, being the Godzilla-head that I am, I doubtlessly <will> go along to this one when it comes out - thanks for the trailer. Still makes me go "hmmm" quite a lot, but we shall see, eh?

Actually, your trailer post has put me in mind of the New World Pictures-helmed "Godzilla 1985", which had many jaws dropping with something-or-otherness when it came out - I recall certain "Shock Xpress" staffers went along to this one, and couldn't believe the nonsense that unveiled! The trailers for this one be here:

4. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

I thought this was actually pretty good, maybe I was expecting a lot worse.

Just below the original, but worth seeing.

5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That trailer reminded me of Cloverfield. Which in spite of myself I rather enjoyed at the end.

6. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog Well-Known Member

I think it would have been better if they made an entirely new film about a Robot policeman rather than ruin an old good one. But I am a crazy person with no knowledge of how films make money.

Old Gergl likes this.
  7. kraepelin

kraepelin Well-Known Member

I watched the remake with only a distance childhood memory of the original

Watched the original afterwards to compare and was amazed that the brainless action movie i remember was a pretty good movie with lashings of satire.

While the remake was with out any redeeming feature.

I do wonder if the original script would get greenlite now

8. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

If you like the satirical aspect of the original, I would also recommend the original series of Max Headroom.

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

donkyboy likes this.
  10. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

i'm looking forward to what blomkamp does with this. the re-make was shit. this one gives me a little more hope.

11. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Fuck's sake. NB was also going to do an Alien sequel to the James Cameron instalment, wasn't he?

12. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

yeah. you know he wanted to, so why ask?

13. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Rumour is Ridley vitoed it. Then convenant bombed at the box office so all alien movie projects are dead.

Newest rumour is they are going to make an alien(s) tv program instead. Which bizarrely. Could be a good idea!

14. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Perhaps. If they had standalone seasons like Fargo or American Horror Story, it might have legs.