Robert Frank, Photographer RIP

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Sep 14, 2019.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Not sure when exactly, perhaps a couple of days ago.

Famous for his photography book "The Americans" published in 1959.

If anyone has a link to his work I would love to see more of it.

2. weltweit

3. weltweit

4. weltweit

5. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

He sounded right miserable in this interview from 2004 - The big empty - though that may have been because he hated interviews. He was noted for being very private generally though.

Odd fact: excellent cartoonist Kate Beaton turns out to have lived in the same small Canadian town that he retired to, and said on Twitter he seemed like a nice community-minded neighbour. I like to think he was happy there.

weltweit and Spandex like this.
  6. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

I like this one from his travels in Peru in the late 40s:
    [​IMG]

weltweit likes this.
  7. weltweit

Yes sad I think, lost both of his children, can't have been easy.

8. weltweit

I was interested to read when he got back from his US trip with images for the book he had about 24,000 images .. to sort through. I do need a bigger memory card! :)

9. Spandex

I went to a Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibition a few years ago that had a load of his contact sheets on display. I was left with the impression that famous photographers take a lot of pictures to get The One.

weltweit likes this.
  10. weltweit

Yes, I saw a presentation by a wildlife photog week before last and he shoots many thousands of images to get his keepers. Throws the rest away. Since then I have felt better about blasting away a bit more myself.

Spandex likes this.
  11. FridgeMagnet

If you're interested in that, there is a book of contact sheets by Magnum photographers which is really fascinating - it shows the contact sheets for the rolls around lots of really iconic photos, which show a lot of both environment context and the technique behind them.

Frank was never in Magnum iirc - he didn't get on with Cartier-Bresson and had issues with commercial photography generally.

weltweit likes this.
  12. weltweit

It would certainly be interesting to see but I have no budget for books (or anything) at the moment.

13. weltweit

I read in one of the links that Frank used (at some time) to shoot one handed, and perhaps with quite a small camera ..

14. weltweit

15. FridgeMagnet

I bought it, but it's probably something you can get at the library.
    He was a Leica user; at the time they were the some of the most compact cameras. If you look at "The Americans" he was also not worried by ideas of avoiding blur either. (Film at that point was never very fast anyway, and he took a lot of indoor shots.)

16. weltweit

The library is a great idea, can you tell me the book title?

aha

17. FridgeMagnet

It's just called "Magnum Contact Sheets".

Spandex and weltweit like this.
  18. Spandex

That looks great :)

[​IMG]

19. weltweit

I thought it interesting in the video Frank said as photographers we are always intruding (into other people's space) hence that he often got a certain expression on his subjects faces. I notice that myself when taking unposed photos of people, there is a line and you can only go so far beyond which you risk aggression.