Roath flood scheme, Cardiff

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by wayward bob, Feb 4, 2017.

1. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

this one was still standing yesterday. a section of that timber could make a really beautiful frame in time. also the mosses could be kept. i would keep the mosses :oops::D if the job's going to be completed i can turn a bit into art rather than flogging or burning it...

2. wayward bob

is there any left that i can go claim a piece myself? that i can find out without actually getting up? :oops:

i got up :thumbs::D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ddraig likes this.
  3. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

editor likes this.
  4. wayward bob

public meeting tonight 7-8pm penylan library.

5. wayward bob

6. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

NRW felling on hiatus till at least Monday to reconsider plans.

7. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

To keep you all up to date, there won't be any felling before Thursday. NRW are holding consultation workshops at Penylan Library tomorrow and Wednesday. To attend email roath@nationalresourceswales.gov.uk.

8. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

Felling delayed for another week while NRW reconsider plans post consultation.

9. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

And another week again - power to the people!

10. wayward bob

11. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

Looks like we may have won a 4 month reprieve while we organise an independent hydrologist's support. Hwre!

editor and Plumdaff like this.
  12. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

Yes, we have indeed won a reprieve. From the campaign's Facebook page:

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has agreed to pause tree felling and construction in Roath Brook Gardens and Roath Mill Gardens (Phase 3 of the Roath Flood Scheme) for four months after listening to the views of the community and the concerns of the Roath Brook Trees campaign group.

This pause will allow us time to further scrutinise NRW’s modelling (the hydrology and hydraulic model used to predict the flood risk) and the options appraisal that selected the current design. We will be assisted by our own appointed professionals to review Phase 3 and if appropriate submit new evidence to NRW. NRW has committed to consider any new evidence prior to making a decision on how to progress. We will need to fundraise to pay the fees of these experts and will provide details of our fundraising as soon as possible. At this stage we think we may need to raise up to £5k. This will need to be reviewed once experts are formally appointed (although some work has already been undertaken).​

You can read more here - Reconsider Waterloo Gardens & Roath Brook Flood Defence Scheme

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I take this with a pinch of salt. Under the regulations they can’t fell trees in the nesting season anyway. Think they maybe using a legal restriction on their activities and claiming it for PR!

14. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

You can take it with a pinch of salt if you like but we've already had two months out of them from protesting. It was raised in the Assembly Petitions Committee and AMs are starting to ask some awkward questions - like why have you spent £12.5m on this when there are places in Wales which are flooded regularly every winter.

You can watch it here Senedd.tv - Archive - Petitions Committee - 27/02/2018.

I'm hoping that the nesting restrictions will actually push them out until September in any event as the wildlife regulations mean they have to allow time for the chicks to fledge.