Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

River Effra

Rushy

AKA some / certain posters
Anyone else noticed these. This one is on Rattray road. Are there others?

Thanks
Yes. Nearby on Dalberg and Dulwich Roads and Effra parade, I think. I think there are something like 30 of them marking the route of the river from Norwood. There's an info sign explaining "Stinky London" (referring to stink pipes set into the course of the river after it was covered over) on the grass between Meath House and the bus stop opposite the lido car park entrance to Brockwell Park.

friendofdorothy

Solidarity against neoliberalism!
Noticed last week that theres one by the church in Kennington on Prima Road, and another on Claylands road near Meadow Road.

Rushy

AKA some / certain posters
Noticed last week that theres one by the church in Kennington on Prima Road, and another on Claylands road near Meadow Road.
The Effra flows into the Thames in Vauxhall. There was a great Time Team about it in which they discovered that a post sticking up out of the river bed was not part of a Victorian pontoon as anticipated but amazingly part of an early river crossing about 3,000 years old :eek:. Unfortunately it's not there any more as the archeologists accidentally snapped it off :facepalm:.

billythefish

toad licker
The Effra flows into the Thames in Vauxhall. There was a great Time Team about it in which they discovered that a post sticking up out of the river bed was not part of a Victorian pontoon as anticipated but amazingly part of an early river crossing about 3,000 years old :eek:. Unfortunately it's not there any more as the archeologists accidentally snapped it off :facepalm:.
You can still see some of it at low tide. It's Mesolithic IIRC, possibly the oldest extant structure in London at around 12,000 years old! They're not sure whether it was a crossing or a jetty across the tidal mud flats that would have been there.

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Meanwhile, here's a highly interesting explore of the Effra as it is today

GES263 - Effra Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO), London

An excerpt:

From the SW Storm Relief overflow chamber, it was a good mile to a mile and a half of hard slog with no exit points. We passed below the Ritzy Cinema junction in Brixton at one point, spookily being below people waiting to cross the lights. They were oblivious to the fact we were there.

RubyToogood

can't remember what goes here

MAD-T-REX

Signal Books | River Effra

This newish book is pretty comprehensive and a good read. Lots of interesting little facts, such as the name Effra not emerging until the 19th century (when the areas along the route were being sold to upper/middle class sorts, so it needed a name) and it originally joined the Thames at Bermondsey until the local abbey had it rerouted so it wouldn't flood their lands. Herne Hillers may also be interested to know that the river runs under the little alley between the Florence and Commercial.

Last edited:

agricola

a genuine importer of owls
A shame, though it lasted 3,000 years more than the Time Team replacement post did.

lang rabbie

Je ne regrette les gazebos
Rising Damp

"A river can sometimes be diverted but is a very hard thing to lose altogether" -
(J.G.Head Paper read to the Auctioneers Institute, 1907)

At our feet they lie low,
The little fervent underground
Rivers of London

Effra, Graveney, Falcon, Quaggy,
Wandle, Walbrook, Tyburn, Fleet

Whose names are disfigured,
Frayed, effaced.

These are the Magogs that chewed the clay
To the basin that London nestles in.
These are the currents that chiselled the city,
That washed the clothes and turned the mills,
Where children drank and salmon swam
And wells were holy.
They have gone under.

Boxed, like the magician's assistant.
Buried alive in earth.
Forgotten, like the dead.

They return spectrally after heavy rain,
Confounding suburban gardens. They infiltrate
Chronic bronchitis statistics. A silken
Slur haunts dwellings by shrouded
Watercourses, and is taken
For the footing of the dead.

Being of our world, they will return
(Westbourne, caged at Sloane Square,
Will jack from his box)
Will deluge cellars, detonate manholes,
Plant effluent on our faces,
Sink the city.

Effra, Graveney, Falcon, Quaggy,
Wandle, Walbrook, Tyburn, Fleet

It is the other rivers that lie
Lower, that touch us only in dreams
That never surface. We feel their tug
As a dowser's rod bends to the surface below

Phlegethon, Acheron, Lethe, Styx

U A Fanthorpe

From Standing To (Peterloo Poets, 1982)

catriona

chickweed
There's a great 2012 documentary film called Lost Rivers about buried urban waterways being 'daylighted' - a friend of mine appears in it briefly, talking about a stretch of the Quaggy river in Lewisham being liberated.
Lost Rivers (2012) - IMDb

A380

How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?
I saw a picture, in the museum of London I think, of what the landscape of central London would be if there was no London. I.e the underlying topography of the hills and rivers. It was done as if from about 3000’ over about Peckham looking North East. They don’t have it on display anymore. Has anyone ever found one on the Internet.

The Museum of London Docklands has an exhibition and season of events on London's 'Secret Rivers' - includes a River Effra walk on 17 September. More here.

lang rabbie

I also finally found out what those tall Victorian green pipes are after waiting for a friend near the Prince Regent by Herne Hill, where it turned out there was an explanatory sign.

the Victorian "Stink-Pipes" - of old London town - London Shoes
I'm rather disappointed that stink pipes are now being "curated" in this way and erroneous folk myths about lost rivers are being destroyed- we have lost the pleasure of overhearing newcomers to Brixton being told tall stories about Queen Elizabeth being punted up the Effra.

lang rabbie

I also popped into the Docklands museum to see the exhibition recently. Good to see those original Platform Arts posters from 1992 for the Effra Redevelopment Agency again after all this time...
20190805_153657.jpg20190805_153707.jpg 20190805_153746.jpg