1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fingers, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

An analysis of your ouevre that arrives at "shit provocateur" is accurate, with reference to most of what you post. Personally, I'd add "...and chronic indulger in intellectual masturbation", but that's just me.

Rutita1 likes this.
  2. ViolentPanda

Interesting.

You're attempting, while decrying the supposed same trait in others, to set the parameters of debate by referencing how the video might offend particular ethnic and cultural perspectives.

What would have been more honest, would be to say that your own "textual analysis" of the video leads you to believe that it offends against particular ethnic and cultural perspectives that you're aware of.

My own view of the video is that if you take it in context with what was produced for other artists at the time, it's much of a muchness in most of the bells it rings.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you are a shit provocateur

4. ViolentPanda

The daft thing is that most people who attempt cultural analyses, tend to avoid using the language of the academy, as it's a turn-off, even to other members of the academy. "Accessibility" is where a lot of social science is at, not chucking in "discursive fields of interest" because it makes you pop a boner. ;)

Rutita1 likes this.
  5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Are you a bot?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And with that you're banned off this thread, by popular demand.

AuntiStella and Cheesypoof like this.
  7. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

We literally do not have enough time on this planet to argue with ignorant people - the ill-informed particularly annoy me....

Back to the music, here is his most 'Mc Cartneyesque' song, The Morning Papers, written direct from that songbook. I'm not crazy for this song but its real 'Mc Cartney classic' and worth checking on this link (sorry, horrendous, Prince's estate forbid all his great music being on youtube). Its actually very jazzy on the album...anyway Look from 9.05 mins onwards

8. Cheesypoof

Oh, believe me, there is so much argument in the Prince camp, about his 'Beatles-style' if just for a while....(probably 20 songs at least...) Raspberry Beret is a big 'casualty' shall we say? In fact, Around the World in a Day has been dubbed his Srgt Pepper....

Christopher Tracys Parade - definitely Prince's Magical Mystery Tour....

I do think 'Raspberry Beret' is quite similar to 'I am the Walrus,' in its Hironymous Bosch distorted style, frequent use of minor keys and string arrangements.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. Cheesypoof

For folks that might be interested in whether Prince was a hippy, be sure to check out '7' on spotify....

10. Cheesypoof

And if you need reminding....here is Lets Go Crazy HEAVY ROCK VERSION. It FLIPS OUT UTTERLY WITH GUITARS AROUND 2 mins in. WATCH ALL OF IT :thumbs:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  11. Cheesypoof

'If I had a harem (Blues in C).' You can see what an extraordinary blues guitarist Prince was if he chose to be (infamous Lovesexy dvd, Dortmund 88) <3

12. Cheesypoof

Anyone interested in Prince....some podcasts here. The Princologists on the Parade and Musicology podcasts speak my language. These homies go through a few of his albums, track by track with some great analysis.

Rather intense but highly recommended, a review from one of his fairly modern albums, Musicology from 2004
    Search Results for “musicology” – Podcastjuice.net

its really worth an afternoon...here is the album
    Listen to Musicology - Prince - online music streaming

Parade review
    Search Results for “parade” – Podcastjuice.net

13. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Bought this from a local artist. Only a print, but I would've got the canvas if I'd has a spare grand. Goes well with the newly painted wall I think :)

IMG_20170429_1053341[742].jpg

AuntiStella, Rutita1 and Cheesypoof like this.
  14. Cheesypoof

Wow!!! Stunning painting, looks like the Gett Off era. I also love that shade of violet for the walls :cool::cool:

mwgdrwg likes this.
  15. Cheesypoof

Prince's music is a refuge away from the horrors of losing people. These things play on my mind all the time, and his music helps me to get by and cope.

16. Cheesypoof

17. Cheesypoof

But alone, I cry. Jenny and Drew didnt know this song but they would love this choice. We were like a little family for our short time, and i remain heartbroken till the end of my life.

18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

This is brilliant:

mwgdrwg and Cheesypoof like this.
  19. mwgdrwg

Another amazing cover...and dat solo :'(

20. mwgdrwg

21. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

killer edit of Princes America

22. Cheesypoof

Prince is, and remains, the greatest all round artist of our generation. There is no one more skilled, all round perfect than Prince.

AuntiStella and mwgdrwg like this.
  23. Cheesypoof

OMG the vids are back up on youtube!!!

Alphabet Street

24. Cheesypoof

Girls & Boys

25. Cheesypoof

Dirty Mind (serious rarity). This is absolutely sensational on the piano

AuntiStella likes this.
  26. Cheesypoof

OMG the vids are back, GRAB EM QUICK!!!

mwgdrwg and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  27. mwgdrwg

Just loving watching these again

Cheesypoof likes this.
  28. Cheesypoof

Divine! That is such a bangin choon!

29. mwgdrwg

Not usually keen on Prince covers, but this is really nice:

30. Cheesypoof

i really like it, thanks x

mwgdrwg likes this.