1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fingers, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

This is the Princeylopedia I was talking about. a mate of ours wrote it. prince 1.jpg

AuntiStella likes this.
  2. JasonFelcham

JasonFelcham Banned Banned

most overrated artist ever. people who like him are generally pretentious morons

he was good in the 80s, but then so was ll cool j. he released 40 albums, 3 of which were good, that's like rolling a 6 on a dice

3. Cheesypoof

Last night was really great - The Bernard Shaw is a bit of a dive but has a massive beergarden and raver kind of crowd which I like. Indoors was a bit cramped but (outdoor) DJ spun some good ones - always a treat to to hear the thumping beats of Controversy and Erotic City turned right up. The thing you notice about Prince "and DJs" is that they don't have to bother mixing his stuff much at all - its already prepared and so timeless. Even the vocals are sped up or distorted, at just the right moment. His timing was epic! :eek::cool:

After that, we headed onto the Sugar Club which is this gorgeous joint near Leeson St. It must win the award for 'cosiest club' of the year - theres a cinema screen with seats, popcorn, great cocktails, loads of nice staff and a heated beergarden. Nice crowd too. They had a DJ spinning some serious cuts - they even played 'Rock Hard in a Funky Place' - a Black album rarity and pet favourite of mine, and then there was a screening at midnight of Sign O'The Times, the full concert movie. Shut up already damn! :thumbs:

mwgdrwg likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ElizabethofYork and Cheesypoof like this.
  5. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try. Banned

Read. My. Post. Again. Until. You. Understand.

Otherwise that article is pretty poor reading and hardly makes a great argument (whatever the actual case is that you think you are trying to make).

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

i understand you alright. Patronising prick.
    You need to stop posing and learn to enjoy yourself.
    Pretentious wanker.

Cheesypoof and mwgdrwg like this.
  7. Cheesypoof

Just went to see the movie 'Purple Rain' for the first time. It was so great. Actually proper hilarious! My friends cannot believe I had not seen it before but as with everything with Prince, 'there is always a first time.':thumbs:

8. Cheesypoof

Kiss video!!! cant believe it, OMFG!!

9. Cheesypoof

Condition of the Heart - a HUGE fan favourite and his most tragic. Be patient and stick around for a few mins cos it has quite an intro....from Around The World in a Day from 1985. it wont be on youtube for long, check it :('

10. Cheesypoof

A world without Prince, is .....like a world without Mount Everest. I personally hang on to the fact that I 'was alive during that time. I beared witness.' We all should. You have to remember that there is no other artist EVER who did what he did. Prince had bands since he was 21, but was composing everything and producing it all on his own. He changed bands every five years, they were only bringing his visions to reality. There is no human being on earth who was as multitalented and multiskilled as he, in the world of music. EVER!

That is also why pretty much all the greatest artists alive today, honestly revere him as the greatest musician of all time (Robert Plant, etc, have a good look at what all the greats said about him...they pretty much concede, there is no greater master!)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Cheesypoof

Just listened to Prince's debut album from 1979 where he is....the whole band!! The band is astounding and then you look at the credentials:

12. Cheesypoof

i cannot get hold of it right now but the original Rolling Stone review of Prince's 1986 album, Parade (fan eternal favourite) ends with the words (im paraphrasing):

'Seriously, it's Godlike.'

13. Cheesypoof

I feel for you - Prince's version when he was 20, is such a sick version. He won a grammy years later when it became a massive hit thanks to Chakka Chan, and although she is loved in the Prince family, i prefer the original from his 1978 album, For You (it wont be on here long). Very special <3

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  14. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Say what? :eek:

Cheesypoof likes this.
  15. Cheesypoof

Haha, I know!!! :eek::eek::D:D

16. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

You really sock it to 'em, don't you? Beats me how.

17. Beats & Pieces

I wasn't going to reply, as there didn't seem to be much point. However, I would point out that being impolite will garner a suitable reaction, one that you did not appear to like. If you set that to one side, and the hagiography at play within the thread (including Ed's bias) then that article just doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. Prince was talented, no doubt, but certainly overrated. Time will tell - depending on who constructs the dominant narrative.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seeing as you've dredged me into this, perhaps you might explain the nature of this supposed "bias".

19. Beats & Pieces

No. You involved yourself, and experience indicates that arguing or disagreeing with you (or your friends) results in an instant unexplained ban.

Power, eh?

20. Beats & Pieces

If you want to suggest an influence on Hip Hop - go to 2.16.

;)

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You are lying. Stop it please. Oh, and answer my question.

22. Beats & Pieces

Okay.

Telling a lie - you questioned my mention of you in the thread. Well, you decided to reply to a post by Belboid in which I was described as a 'shit provocateur'. Quoting that post you indicated that you thought that ignoring me was an appropriate response. That would suggest that you agreed with the statement made by Belboid. As an opener to any discussion of editorial independence that poses interesting questions in respect of bias - unless you disagree?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  23. Beats & Pieces

In terms of being banned without any prior explanation - well having been banned without a PRIOR warning or appropriate explanation, upon which I recieved a message stating that if I attempted to 'escalate' my complaint (note the corporate language) I would be subject to further sanction.

From Fridgemagnet:

"If you continue to escalate this issue with anything further you will be permanently banned."

Over to you.

24. Beats & Pieces

Let me be clear, just so YOU understand. I have NOT lied. I recognise that this is YOUR website, and you (and your moderators) can 'play' in whatever way deemed fit.

That does not mean that Urban 75 allows for the full and wide ranging expression of opinions.

You want me to go on?

Or is that a ban coming my way?

Coward.

25. Beats & Pieces

Anyway. Here is track and video worthy of discussion, especially within the parameters apparently set by this thread. On any level this can be 'problematized' - a superficial reading of 'women' would open up fields of discursive interest. Extend that to include ethnicity and culture?

26. Beats & Pieces

Where is Prince in this...(1988)

27. Beats & Pieces

28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Capture.JPG https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/arts/music/prince-paisley-park-archives.html?_r=1

ddraig likes this.
  29. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

You are a pretentious and patronising cunt though, and you have been since you appeared here. And posts like the above don't help.

ddraig, editor, Rutita1 and 1 other person like this.
  30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

No one has claimed or suggested Prince as a primary influence on Hip-Hop, have they?

In terms of his own influences, Prince acknowledged all the way through the debt he owed to Sly Stone, to The Temptations in their psychedelic era, to Curtis Mayfield, to Marvin Gaye, to Little Richard, to Jimi Hendrix, to James Brown, to George Clinton and to countless other artists. He wore his influences on his sleeve.

ddraig, editor, Rutita1 and 1 other person like this.