1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fingers, Apr 21, 2016.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

There's no need to discuss that piece of empty lame provocation whatsoever.

editor, Wookey, Cheesypoof and 3 others like this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

3. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Dispositif...

So, a 'self-evident' truth then? That Prince was immensely talented, as a musician and song writer, it would be foolish to deny. But this does not mean that his legacy will continue much beyond a handful of records that gained traction within the muscial mainstream. Moreover, and perhaps more tellingly, in contemporary terms Prince remained resolutely out of sync with much of what was happening within black music. It also didn't help that his attempts at artistic freedom (especially in regard to music labels) appeared to be little more than the actions of a truculent child, often of diservice to his most resolute of fans.

4. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Prince was a talented musician. The color of his skin is irrelevant, as is the fact that other musicians with dark skin made music that was different from his.

girasol, ddraig and editor like this.
  5. Beats & Pieces

Do you think the colour of his skin was not of relevance to him?

6. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

You're talking about his being 'out of sync with black music' as being a factor in why his music won't endure [ - in your opinion].

I'm calling bullshit on your idea.

ddraig, editor and Rutita1 like this.
  7. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

B&P is a shit provocateur, everyone else is ignoring him. Dont feed him.

Rutita1 and alsoknownas like this.
  8. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Actually it is probably worth discussing Prince's legacy. Our resident troll has probably been reading some old critical stuff from the nineties when people were, not without reason questioning, not Prince's brilliance, but whether he was going to bequeath a legacy to the next generation of music makers.

It's true that there was moment where Prince and the musical world in general were pulling in somewhat different directions. Hip Hop was very much about bypassing the complexity of learning instruments and recycling the sounds that already existed in the neglected vinyl classics.
    Criminal Minded - Boogie Down Productions

And you can hear Prince wrestling with this on some of the Black Album:
    Dead On It

But music changed. Electronic music still thrives, but so does live musicianship, and there are countless acts that thrive off Prince's influential complex funk and soul. Some quick examples:

9. Beats & Pieces

Prince will have a legacy, and, if you had read my post, you would see that I don't dispute the fact of his having talent. The questions regarding his position, and the intersection of race and music are highly complex, and it may well be that it is still too early to review and accurately consider what that might mean. What Prince meant to different audiences, and what his perception of that interaction may have been, should be included in that discussion. That you can construct a genealogy including him is not in question - the fact of there being different genealogies is more important.

10. Beats & Pieces

As for alsoknownas:

red & green likes this.
  11. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Is there anything more condescending than a White person insisting they can set the limitations of what it is to be Black and what constitutes Black music? Our resident troll is the worst kind of Victorian anthropologist. Self important, devoid of the ability to self reflect and oblivious to the impact of his own agenda driven, divisive and offensive bias.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    ElizabethofYork and girasol like this.
  12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

You're overdoing the pointyhead philosophers

13. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's pretty much the best tactic of all.

I'm not really a fan of much of Prince's output but the private gig I saw him do in Camden remains one of the best live shows I have ever seen in my life. The man - and his band - were on a whole new level of funkiness and musicianship.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  15. High Voltage

High Voltage Bring on t'dancing girls & put t'champagne on ice

I "think" tomorrow is the anniversary of his untimely death - the last 20 minutes of tomorrows Platinum Hour on Radio X (9:40 - 10:00) will be featuring some (4(?)) Prince tunes (DAB or through the internet or if you're in London and Manchester it's available on FM)

Cheesypoof likes this.
  16. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Lots of good podcasts over the past year on vast range of Prince topics. The interview with his hairdresser Kim Berry is witty and quite moving....I'm about 30 mins into the interview with Prince's former engineer during the 80's, Susan Rogers. She is great at explaining the technical aspects of his recordings, risk-taking in the studio and prolific musical artistry (she says he was not a perfectionist). Some of the topics on the general podcast list are for the diehards (like Morris Day connection, various pseudonyms, record company battles, etc) but worth a whirl while doin' the housework or cooking, like I do ;)

The Prince Podcast – Podcastjuice.net

Good (written) interview with Susan Rogers here. It's always worth noting how many women Prince tended to hire....for almost everything. He didnt just 'love women' but wanted to empower them in their careers, and 'get to the next level' as former employees often put it.

Susan Rogers: From Prince to Ph.D.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I'm in no way a superfan, though I have some of his records and did see him live. But to spout this:
    Shows a clear lack of appreciation of music, entertainment and probably art and creativity too no matter what one's tastes are.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  18. Cheesypoof

Starts off very like 'Scandalous' from Batdance. I am guessing it may have been written around that era (around 1988/ 89). Another hint is the title. I'll check my Princenclyopedia!

19. Cheesypoof

It's from 20Ten and from the vault. He actually opened a main show with a 15 min version of this in Bergen, Norway. Prince often surprised his audience with an unusual or subdued track to open a gig. When he played in Malahide Castle, he opened with 'Gold' which was the song that always closed the shows from the Gold Experience tour, 1994.

20. Cheesypoof

This radio documentary looks good for superfans, newbies, and anyone with an interest. Major classics in there you may have forgotten. Can't wait to check it

Prince and Me - BBC Radio 2

21. mwgdrwg

Yeah, I have had the 20Ten cd for years. One of his best later tracks. His voice towards the end of the track is spine-tingling.

Just realising that I've hardly listened to Prince for a year now. It makes me sad.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  22. Cheesypoof

Aye, last April, I had not listened intently for a long time. Today....I'm plodding my way slowly through podcasts and radio documentaries. It's a comfort for me, listening to those he worked with describe his genius, humour, love and humanity :(

mwgdrwg likes this.
  23. Cheesypoof

Amazing acoustic performance here with Wendy, from 2004. I had never heard this song before.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  24. mwgdrwg

It's on the Musicology album.

Hadn't heard this version, amazing x

Cheesypoof likes this.
  25. Cheesypoof

No, I hadnt. I love the song 'Musicology' - Damn! X

26. Cheesypoof

Bangin choon from Parade. His voice actually sounds like a saxaphone. And who, but Prince would have bicycle bells as part of the percussion?

mwgdrwg likes this.
  27. Cheesypoof

Can't believe I found this.....U Got the Look! I'll be watching this (from Sign O'The Times) on a big screen with lots of crazy Prince fans tonight! :D:thumbs:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    mwgdrwg likes this.
  28. mwgdrwg

Where are you going Cheesypoof ?

I shall be raising a glass and spinning one or two Prince records very loudly at home tonight.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  29. Cheesypoof

The Bernard Shaw, its a real dive bar with a basement disco. And The Sugar Club for a screening of Sign O'The Times followed by DJ's with Prince megamix - both should be awesome - there's clubs all over Dublin playing, he had a huge fanbase here - the best crowd in the world was London though. Thanks for your thoughts. So sad today, there is a big ache in my heart. Xx

30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

alsoknownas and Cheesypoof like this.