1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fingers, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

2. Cheesypoof

This is wonderful X

mwgdrwg and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  3. Cheesypoof

It's very hard for Prince fans to listen as he is like religion to us, a sacred person. I pale in comparision to some of the fans I know, who are my close friends. We grew up together. His music really changed our lives, and later, around 2006, I was introduced to this amazing girl who lived in Brixton, like me, who was a big Prince fan. (Erm, i was actually passed out in bed and a pal knocked frenetically on the door saying, get up!!! There is a BIG Prince fan downstairs, come and meet her!). I laughed, got my dressing gown on and went down. There was this wonderful person stood there like an angel. I was bemused by her.....she challenged me, she delivered. That is private stuff!!! I have great faith in people, but never ask them to like what I do. This friend and I bonded through our love of Prince. We are not the kind of fans that boast and wear purple. His loss was the saddest day of my life. :('Same with my best friends. I'm doing my best.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. Cheesypoof

The pain of watching this is unbearable, but please watch

5. Cheesypoof

More Prince piano.....aeons later i discovered Thelonious Monk. I have always been a nervous person about jazz and it was a great shock for me that I would like anything from this stellar, unknown universe. I did join it with trepidation and am absolutely bananas for Monk, i LOVE him with a great passion like I do Prince. (I have tried, but not taken to a lot of other jazz composers, by the way I hoped i would fall for Ornette Coleman but it didnt happen. I do love Billie). Anyway, Prince plays the piano a bit like Thelonious, clunky, discordant and full of big feelings. Prince definitely copies him, he is not as good but he bangs his fingers down the keys like Monk does and copies his style. As the man says, some things have Brilliant Corners ;)

If you have just joined the thread, or want to educate yourself on this

stuff....Prince, the famous piano set in Dortmund (again). He is very like Mozart, as you can see (little difference, both highly profilific, Prince more so), but you get to see a really fun side of him too. Always what shines is Prince's humour and humility <3

6. Cheesypoof

Having a cry tonight...it's been almost 7 months :('

7. Cheesypoof

Prince in interview, funny motherfucker.

8. Cheesypoof

with Chris Rock, watch out for his hilarious words on Michael Jackson

ska invita likes this.
  9. Cheesypoof

The incomprehible man interviewed. Prince was so humble, an example to us all. If you dont have time, choon in about 22 mins in and you will see what an abstract genius he is, also a haunting song he filmed in London pretending to be a busker

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    ska invita and Pickman's model like this.
  10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

I was listening to 'The Break Down' yesterday. My god, he sounded better than ever...what, just a year ago or so.

Also, I'd been reading about Leonard Cohen, and how he had a fall in the family home and died in bed. When I think of how Prince died, well...I don't want to think about it :(

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Pickman's model and Cheesypoof like this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Anyone else had some weird Prince spam by PM?
    I didn't click on the link and strongly advise others not to

12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Just listened to this jazz funk session with Prince. It's great :cool:

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

interesting interview - said earlier in the thread about all the hidden religious lyrics in his songs - never knew Lets Go Crazy was about God v Satan and "the elevator" is Satan!!

Cheesypoof and Rutita1 like this.
  14. Cheesypoof

Much of his music has now been ripped down from youtube, sadly :(' I'm devastated that people wont get to check out all the stuff i posted, some absolute gems in there. Yeh you can find it elsewhere (and please feel free to look up my posts and check it out, ask me any question...) but jumpin on the bridge at the time, an all....

15. Cheesypoof

he remains, the greatest artist of our times.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  16. Cheesypoof

17. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Its Hammock Time

Oh Wow! Thanks :) Here's one you prepared earlier Cheesypoof :thumbs: x

[​IMG]

Cheesypoof likes this.
  18. Cheesypoof

haha, but Blue Peter never meant anything to me! Thank you anyway, my dear X :cool:

ice-is-forming likes this.
  19. ice-is-forming

:hmm:

20. Cheesypoof

I grew up in Ireland and that is a Blue Peter badge innit? We didnt dig that programme much where Im from, we're too cynical, ha.:cool:

21. ice-is-forming

That's why i found you a green one especially :) But yes! your right, you had to be an untroubled child to dig Blue Peter

Cheesypoof likes this.
  22. Cheesypoof

well, we used to have a saying in the playground, if someone said something distinctly unfunny or trying to be cool. 'What do you want for that, a Blue Peter badge??' :thumbs: But of course, it has a certain nostalgia of a bygone era, and being a child of the 80's with many friends in the UK, an icon I respect :cool:

Back to Prince! O+>

I found this today - some really cool 'accounts' of 'the man' from friends, fans and loved ones. Worth a read x

Prince’s Closest Friends Share Their Best Prince Stories

23. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Not been listening to much Prince for a while of late :oops:

But on Thursday at work, I went Princewards and I really wanted to sing along loud to ALL the words of You Sexy Motherfucker :D

Cheesypoof and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  24. Cheesypoof

Excellent choice sir! :thumbs:The bassline and drums are so fucking funky, and superjazzy. Drives me crazy! :D

William of Walworth likes this.
  25. Cheesypoof

This is still up on youtube! Grab it quick!

26. Cheesypoof

27. Cheesypoof

and he died in Spring :('

28. Cheesypoof

Much of Prince's music is now on spotify. His orchestral music from 'Parade' Venus de Milo,' i particularly recommend.

29. Cheesypoof

We can mourn him....but at the end of the day, there stands, our Prince.

If you know anything about his musicianship, you can appreciate him as a composer, because, like Mozart, that is what he is. The fun moniker 'The Mozart of Minneapolis' was well earned (but shook off, Prince was humble and only interested in making music) Once you become educated on most of his repertoire, you realise that he is the greatest and most prolific musical artist of all time. Prince was that rare thing -an autodidact all round artist that played 27 instruments, composed, played, sang, produced and performed all his music 24/7 since he was 18 years old. He worked with other musicians from the age of around 20 but had already developed his unique, distinctive sound far younger (check out the perfect Soft and Wet from 1979) if you want. He always produced himself, and many other artists, possibly hundreds of people.

There is no other artist in the world with his capability or all round Mozart-style brilliance, Losing Prince was the saddest day of my life. Folks on Urban know me as a superfan in Ireland, but when it comes to Prince fans and their appreciation of the great Master, im like a grain in the sand. There are MILLIONS of fans that feel as I do.

30. Cheesypoof

He wrote 'Kiss' on a bed with his guitar, Prince was a big guitar guy......for me, personally i got into him at 8 and that was a big revelation, i remember watching the video for KISS on MTV for the first time and just loved his creativity, humour and thought 'He's the one for me!' ) I loved the song and he was so playful and sweet and hilarious. i was mesmerised and fell instantly in love with him! <3