1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fingers, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I hate it when they get on the piano. I wanna dance!

2. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

I know these are only snippets, but check out how he used the piano recently on his tour

3. Cheesypoof

tut tut, i still love you :)

4. Cheesypoof

Set list (from the limited) above:

I Wanna be your Lover - Prince '79
    Adore - Sign of the Times '87
    Kiss - Parade '86
    Unknown - snippet too short - i'll find out
    Purple Rain - Purple Rain 84
    The Beautiful Ones - Purple Rain 84

24593d1234504964-valentine-day-wallpapers-pictures-big-heart-velentine-day.jpg

5. Cheesypoof

Very 'beat' heavy this, most unusually structured love song (as it starts with a very complex jazz percussion - only time i have ever heard a smoochy song ever done like this, and i doubt will ever be done again). The same complex drums kick in during the middle - Prince was also a jazz composer so some of his jams go on for quite a while - the song is worth sticking around for to indulge in the glorious harmonies ).

for Orang Utan

6. Cheesypoof

i was right about his death :(

Wont be discussing - i said it earlier in the thread.

Here's me and some friends in happier times X

10398819_24042905175_5488_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Cheesypoof

Its helps posting to you on this thread. I will never get over it, and i really understand folks who are devastated over Bowie, Lemmie, etc. Love to you all. We wont go further about real people we know who have passed. We have the music to get us through.

From early in Prince's career (from age 19) he was obsessed that all his albums were done by himself. So when you hear the rumour that he 'plays 27 instruments' its probably a very conservative example...Prince himself said 'thousands.' Here he is at 21, bear in mind, he composed, performed, produced all this, he is 'the whole band'. Prince preferred to say he he was 19 but in 1979, he was well, going on 21.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Happy birthday, Prince. Wherever you are.

RIP

:(

killer b and Cheesypoof like this.
  9. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Fez909 and mwgdrwg like this.
  10. Cheesypoof

i still cant talk about it. Thanks for anyone who posted :('

11. Cheesypoof

Blues in C/ If i had a harem by Prince, seriously, a few minutes in you will see some SERIOUSLY SKILLED blues guitar check this out!!!

12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

13. Biscuitician

Biscuitician Banned Banned

I always wondered what it would be like working with him.

I bet his socks cost more money thatn I'd ever see in my lifetime.

Funny little fella. He had some talent, can't deny that. Not entirely a fan though, but he could play the guitar pretty well. Only a few of his songs I really dug (I would die 4 u and Beautiful Ones; i think the new wave sound worked with his music better than later stuff).

Sad that he died.

I don't have anything terribly insightful to add. I've never been drawn to those I find unapproachable. Would have been interesting to jam with him though. I reckon myself a better bass player than he was :D

14. Cheesypoof

Some beautiful bootlegs from the Melbourne Piano and a Microphone tour on Feb 15th.....first minute he's just messing with the crowd...then, almost unbearable :('

15. Cheesypoof

Um....i seriously doubt it! show what you can do, of course :eek:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  16. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Hadnt heard this before

awful video (recommend dont watch it, jsut listen) but great soul tune with killer guitar solo at the end

Cheesypoof likes this.
  17. Cheesypoof

His three month anniversary was two days ago. Still devastated. Cannot believe he is gone.

18. Cheesypoof

Prince's greatest love song here 'Adore' from Sign O'The Times....it starts frothy, and i dont like frothy, lol but trust me, this is his great gospel masterpiece.

I'm often so upset when i come on this thread....so sorry if i have posted this before. Prince wrote this to get those cats to chill.....his black audience who had accused him of being a rocker back in around '87. This is very much a song that could be sung at church, and (apparently the favourite with his African American fans....well actually his Irish ones too!) in my view, his greatest lyrics. Its a long song with a transcendent bridge (2.25 mins in), if you enjoy complex harmony and structure, it will drive you crazy! And, after all the falsetto posturings, he reverts to his lower vocal register in a devastating way right at the end. Enjoy X

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    mwgdrwg likes this.
  19. Cheesypoof

Prince was put on this earth to share his gift and he used it wisely. His energy is everywhere and eternal.

He is often compared to Mozart but was much, much more than that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    mwgdrwg likes this.
  20. Cheesypoof

21. Cheesypoof

Heavy Rock Prince!

22. Cheesypoof

I never liked Diamonds and Pearls but it is a tremendous tune

crossthebreeze likes this.
  23. Cheesypoof

I'm gonna share with you some of Prince's tremendous gospel catalogue. Here is Call My Name, it won a grammy and is from 1994. My taste on this is harmony and beats.

24. Cheesypoof

Some days i wake up hoping its not true, then i realise it happened :('

Thank you Prince.....and thank you GOD for me allowing me to bear witness

I feel compelled to provide more info....so (this eccentric falsetto homage to God is Prince's B-side of megahit Purple Rain 1984) and he followed this album with the most uncommercial album, Around the world in a day (1985) (Prince's efforts to copy the Beatles.....). That featured his gem Raspberry Beret. More later. I am too upset to talk about it, but 'The Morning Papers' in around 94 is his most McCartney-style tune x

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  25. Cheesypoof

Gorgeous story here from Dave Grohl

26. Cheesypoof

i really want to point out that Prince was never a drug addict and his overdose was an accident. Like i think i said soon after his death, he was a man in chronic pain and whatever happened was him taking something unprescribed.

have you ever been in chronic pain? i certainly have and took opoid pills for it... my doctor knew i was in serious trouble with pain management, which is why they prescribed what they did. i had an operation in 2009 and am happy to be alive. I'm devastated Prince did not get the help he needed - whatever way - sooner. Its the worst thing ever to have lost him through some tragic accident. Especially from one so (usually) wise....

Idris2002 likes this.
  27. Cheesypoof

Lego Prince!! This is one for the kids!! :D

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

some really interesting stuff still surfacing - such as;

"After burning down the house at Wembley Arena on September 8, 1993, Prince gave a legendary performance at Bagley's Warehouse in King's Cross, England. "

Paisley Park Studios, Soundstage, Minneapolis, USA, December 31, 1987

spliff and Chilli.s like this.
  29. Cheesypoof

Amazing mix of his music here. I highly recommend checking out Brooklyn DJ Frank Ramos cuts on this link

if there was a college course on the recorded works of Prince, Maximum Insight‘s Frank Ramos would be the instructor. Spend three hours combing over the Kid’s discography and hear all sides of the legend.

Get caught up on “Prince Week!”

30. Cheesypoof