RIP Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks)

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by mx wcfc, Dec 6, 2018.

1. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Sad news, indeed.:(

Our (treasured) copy of Ever fallen in love...(with someone you shouldn't've)...we did...it worked...our record.

feeling a little bit older tonight.

upload_2018-12-6_21-54-33.png

2. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Sad news, glad I got the chance to see the Buzzcocks a couple of times, RIP.

3. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Aw shit :(

I was listening to that yesterday. So good. Love this one too:

Give It To Me

And Buzzcocks are easily my favourite punk band.

4. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

knew how to play a guitar rip.

5. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

ah fucking shit.
    the buzzcoks were great - shelly brilliantly subverted the whole rock machismo cliche (an approach totally lost on most present day punk bands)- projecting vulnerability, sexual confusion and awkwardness through brilliant slices of frantic guitar pop.
    so long fella - :(

6. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Heartbroken to hear of the sudden death of a true original. Pete's been part of my life since I was 16 (40+ years!) and Love Bites remains one of my favourite albums ever - still on my playlist. Only 63 and due to play the Albert Hall in June.:( Safe journey, mate. Loved you x

7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Fuck.

Sprocket. likes this.
  8. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Just come in and seen this. :( Really sad and unexpected - 63 is no age.

The Buzzcocks are probably up there as one of my favourite bands of all time - seen them three times and have fond memories of playing Spiral Scratch in my teens.

RIP and thanks for the wonderful, exciting songs.

9. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

There's another thread... any chance of merging as long as the thread starter Ceej is ok with it.
    RIP Pete Shelley

Ceej likes this.
  10. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

Sad about this. Proper DIY punk artists influencing the world from Bolton bedrooms. A genuinely nice man. 'Warm, supportive, unapologetically romantic,' as my missus says.

shelley.jpg

11. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Shit. :(
    RIP.
    Saw them live a couple of times at Rock Against Racism gigs (or similar). I'd certainly echo Kaka Tim 's comments about anti-machismo. They did the vulnerability fairly straight up, without the Morrissey style irony and, thankfully, without his racism.

12. colbhoy

colbhoy Well-Known Member

One of my two or three favourite bands of all times. Have seen them a fair few times over the years, as recently as Scotland Calling back in April.

RIP, gone too soon.

Ceej likes this.
  13. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Yep...merge the threads. So sad.

oryx likes this.
  14. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Nostalgia for an age yet to come. Genius x

Dr. Furface and oryx like this.
  15. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

Oh no, no. A truly great bloke and I’m just in shock having woke up to see this.
    Was just talking to my sister earlier today about Strummers anniversary and now Pete Shelley!!! Truly saddened and pissed off.
    Those early days when he stood at the front of the stage and called us white rose bastards and we called him a red rose twat, all a bit of fun and taken in fun at The Outlook in Doncaster and Top Rank at Sheffield will be always remembered as fabulous raw gigs.
    Am just so sad.

16. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

I will never forget the joy of getting my first copy of Spiral Scratch and going down to my mates to play it on his 15W stereo as loud as possible .

17. LeytonCatLady

LeytonCatLady Well-Known Member

Poor bloke, that's no age at all. My Buzzcocks favourite:

18. petee

petee i'm spartacus

awful news.

my old band used to cover that. :(

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    ice-is-forming likes this.
  19. dialectician

dialectician Minimal Donk

Those 10 minutes. life changing. later stuff after Another Music in a Different Kitchen doesn't really click with me (although i can really appreciate its construction) but i think i prefer post-punk and hardcore to pop punk.

sad news either way. fucking hell.

Sprocket. likes this.
  20. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

This news tonight has confirmed my choice of this version to be played at my funeral exit.
    Having spent last night wide awake in a cancer ward listening to blokes my age on the verge of shuttling off, coughing and weeping with their families around. I was depressed enough, although glad to be still here when all my mates are dropping like flies.
    This is how I will always remember Buzzcocks, fucking ace, goodnight Pete, you soppy bugger, thanks for fucking everything.:(

ETA: Note to self, cheer up ya miserable old sod!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Voley, JimW, ice-is-forming and 7 others like this.
  21. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Ah fuck :( legend. RIP

Badgers, ice-is-forming and Sprocket. like this.
  22. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Very sad news :(

Sprocket. likes this.
  23. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

So having donned slippers, stomped around house cursing, swearing, letting dogs out and going for yet another piss. I'm off to try and get back to some much needed sleep, Horlicks in one hand and Everybody's Happy Nowadays blasting in me lugs through earphones.
    Goodnight Urbs.

oryx, Voley, ice-is-forming and 3 others like this.
  24. oh heck :(

Love the Buzzcocks, they took the energy of punk and made it sort of... lovelorn. Romantic and defiant.

he was a beautiful, unique man. R.I.P.

25. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I do love the buzzcocks a tiny little bit.

Da dum da dum

oryx, Voley, weltweit and 4 others like this.
  26. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Sad news indeed.

RIP :(

27. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Sad to hear this. Such a great artist. :(

28. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Very sad. I used to know him in the 90s. He was a nice bloke as well as a musical hero.

29. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I also recently came across a documentary featuring Pete and Howard talking about how they set up the two Sex Pistols gigs in Manchester, setting the scene for what happened next.

I'll try to find it and post it later...

Celyn and Sprocket. like this.
  30. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Really sad news to wake up to. RIP Pete.

ice-is-forming likes this.