RIP Jake (Reverend D Wayne Love) John Black from Alabama 3

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 21, 2019.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I went to those shows. Excellent.

2. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

So awful. :(

3. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

One after the other - made for a very long week.
    First saw them at a 1 day festival (great escape) in Brighton when they still had the 2 dancers / singers with the large hypodermics (1997?).
    Not going to use the past tense when referring to the band, only when talking of the man.

Maggot and Nanker Phelge like this.
  4. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

5. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Remembering first time I saw Alabama 3 would have been about 95 or 96. They were playing on a boat moored on the Thames, I hadn't heard of them and we only went cos my flatmate was in the support band. A while after they started playing Rev D Wayne Love appeared by sliding down a fireman's type pole from the ceiling. His body was covered in paint and he was wearing nothing but a stuffed sparkling codpiece - and to cap it all he had one bollock hanging out. Unforgettable.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    twistedAM, Smick, sojourner and 4 others like this.
  6. editor

Sunset on Coldharbour Lane tonight. Seems appropriate.
    RIP, mate.

2019-05-21_214847.jpg

7. editor

I saw Alabama 3 play in the old Brady's bar - and a load of other venues - around 1995/1996. Even then you could see they were something very special, and Jake was brilliant.

spitfire likes this.
  8. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

And they had the best after parties/lock-ins.

spitfire likes this.
  9. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Shit..!

Photographed them several times and he was always the one who engaged you directly and saw that you got a good shot!

[​IMG]

:(

10. editor

Mind if I add that pic to the Buzz feature (with whatever credit you''d like)?

pogofish likes this.
  11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Certainly - Thanks.

editor likes this.
  12. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Here's a polaroid I took in the states when we were on tour there. I can't remember where it was....

Jake found it hilarious for obvious reasons. Presley's last script.

RIP mate.

upload_2019-5-21_22-7-57.png

planetgeli, wayward bob, izz and 4 others like this.
  13. etnea

etnea EXTERMINIEREN

This is just shite. The Reverend can't be gone :(
    SO many memories and musical associations - got into the Alabama 3 around 2004, same time that my relationship with Yoss was starting and Exit on Coldharbour Lane was kind of the soundtrack for the early days. We were gonna come and see them in Brixton in December - there's very few bands I would travel internationally to go and see.
    RIP Reverend

14. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Gutted! Jake was a truly top bloke. Keep on reachin', brother.

SpookyFrank, Maggot and spitfire like this.
  15. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Getting ready for going on stage.

Fuck, I'll miss you being on this earth Jake. No more hugs.

Alabama 3005.jpg

16. ginger_syn

ginger_syn Insanity laughs under pressure...

That is sad news,
    I met him briefly in cardiff with the rest of the band and he was interesting to talk to. First saw them in newport in the late 90's loved their music since then

17. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

They did that as a Month of Sundays at St Matthews in Brixton back in... 1998? 99? Every Sunday night in a month that had 5 Sundays. In the gig hall that was on the top floor of the church for a while. Each of those Sundays as you say a different theme, with the same set list. Genius.

I knew him. An extraordinary man. Generous and fulsome with his erudition (which was not only impressive but also surprising). Sometimes impenetrable, always fascinating. He was honest and fierce, loyal and true.

I been with folk tonight who were sharing stories, and so many of them had a similar theme of him speaking in great reams of creative force and stream of consciousness creativity, but then also wanting to connect with the other, with me and you and her and him. And a feeling of being lucky to hear him.

Alongside that of course the tricky nonsense that always accompanies someone who started out as an outsider, someone who had to struggle to find themself, all that fight and fury and force of having to prove themself over and over again against the tiresome baggage that burdens those who are not heard, not believed or valued in the early years.

Ah Jake. Teacher, preacher, reacher for the truth.

I know folk are sitting up this night, tall tale telling, sharing the gospel according to The Very Reverend D Wayne Love.

Love

Love

18. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Ah ffs I’d stopped crying and everything.

Beautiful words.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  19. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I feel you

20. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Perth, WA

Awful news. I never met him but went to see Alabama 3 many times back in the day, and still play 'Exile' all the time. To all that knew him, I'm sorry for your loss.

21. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

Didn't go & see them nearly enough...

But December 1997 I walked out of a job that was doing me no good, round the corner & into (HMV maybe?) by Camden Tube that still had listening posts, & bought 2 CDs - one was Exile (the other was Roni Size Brown Paper Bag, it being 1997) later that week in the Dogstar met the geezer I'm still with now & our first long Brixton night out was Alabama 3 at George IV... think we were blessed from the start :cool:

RIP :(

22. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

RIP. Sad news.

23. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Brady's was mental. I used to DJ with them there.

twistedAM and editor like this.
  24. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Cannot fucking believe it. Was idly scrolling through FB on my phone last night and saw it. Stunned. Gutted. One of my all-time favourite festival moments was dancing onstage with them at Off The Tracks years ago. Fuck fuck fuck.

izz, spitfire and editor like this.
  25. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Gutted saw them play up here in November at a small, 400 max, venue and they were fucking superb.. had the place rocking. Always have a great mix of people at an Alabama 3 gig..
    RIP

izz and editor like this.
  26. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

Am greatly saddened by this news. I always thought the band were underrated and deserving of much more success than they actually got, although Exile is the album most people know they carried on producing some excellent music. Still, he got to live his life in (presumably) the way that he wanted and I imagine he was a great character. Many sympathies to anyone here that knew him. I won't grow bored hearing tales of exploits ;)

spitfire likes this.
  27. spitfire

spitfire Toast

BBC 6 Matt Everitt just did a nice wee feature on the music news followed by Woke Up This Morning.

I think they repeat the music news in an hour?

28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Some great Jake on this track....

sojourner and izz like this.
  29. editor

My friend Therese, who was the band's assistant manager, has written a stunning and beautiful eulogy to Jake on FB.

It's perhaps not appropriate to post it all up here (I'm not sure if it's for friends only), but this bit destroyed me:

sojourner, organicpanda and spitfire like this.
  30. spitfire

spitfire Toast

It's public, just had a read, lovely tribute and reminds me of my days as assistant manager before I was TM.

Once Jake had your back, he had your back. :cool:

He would also call you a wee gobshite if he thought you'd done something stupid.