1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP David Bowie

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by EastEnder, Jan 11, 2016.

1. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

Same here. I had several chances to see him that I turned down because I was so worried that he'd disappoint again.

I've done that with a few of my heros. Sometimes I regret it but mostly I don't.

2. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang.

I saw him at this:

[​IMG]

He did 'All the Young Dudes' really well which I enjoyed but I didn't like his band very much. They were pretty muso-ish. I would've preferred them to be a bit rougher sounding. Everyone has an off night, so it goes. Unfortunately, because of this i didn't bother going to see him at Glastonbury which pretty much everyone says was ace. Ho hum.

3. SheilaNaGig

I was there for that. I'd agree with you about the band.

I remember being disappointed by the Pistols as well.

I saw him at Milton Keynes on the Serious Moonlight tour. It was.... alright, y'know? I'd been squeaking with excitement for months, and it was such a slog to get there, and get down the front, and deal with the crowd all day, and then he was .... not bad.

I saw him as Glasronbury and it was terrific. He was so happy, and the band was great. And it was Glastonbury.

William of Walworth and Voley like this.
  4. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We listened to this on iPlayer from the laptop during our coffee-drinking big lie-in this morning.

Utterly superb -- if you haven't already caught it yet, don't miss it .

Brilliant, and with shedloads of classic tracks. Plus plenty of obscures :cool: :)

And Iggy is always cool as fuck, as an additional bonus :)

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Was there myself too, but only for the Neil Young day (Sat) -- what did you think of NY?

I was very annoyed at missing DB then, but friends didn't want to commit themselves for more than 1 day.

At least I got lift back to London, in a massive stoner's car, and I took on all the skinner's duties PERSONALLY :D, in the back seat :p

As I've often got annoyed about on Urban before though, I missed David Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 as well :(.

Because I wanted to see Gong at Avalon :oops: :D.

They were 45 minutes late :mad: and I could have seen plenty of both gigs because of that :oops:

Saying that, G2000 was so ram-packed that it took me well over an hour to proceed from Cider Bus to Avalon field at that time, that year.

And only partly because of being as stoned and pissed as a twat :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  6. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang.

Fucking great. I'd always wanted to see him do the full-on Crazy Horse ''Ragged Glory'' deafening feedback thing and he didn't disappoint. Seem to remember ''Like A Hurricane'' going on for a few weeks. ''Weld'' is probably the Neil Young album I listen to the most and this gig was pretty much that album. Absolutely loved it.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Libertad likes this.
  8. SheilaNaGig

I have to admit that I don't really enjoy Neil Young. Or Joan Baez or Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell or the Grateful Dead.

I'm less into melodic folky stuff than kick arse rock and roll. It just doesn't get me off in the same way, even though I can appreciate its greatness and all that.

I actually regret that I don't like more than I do, and every so often I give it another go, listen to stuff in the car or working or sitting down studying the sleeve, like in the olden days. But then I wander off again and stick on some Stooges or Shooting At Unarmed Men.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Kaka Tim likes this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

10. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Show home advertising hoarding anyone? (soon to be completed new block of flats on barrington Rd ) editor look away now.
    IMG_4241.JPG

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's what David would have wanted.

12. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

craigxcraig and hash tag like this.
  13. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Do like the framed 'stamps' - though £79 but limited - very tempted..

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just David Bowie and Peter Frampton popping out for a beer in Madrid.

clicker likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Never heard this before - Bowie singing Imagine as a tribute to John Lennon

Sprocket. likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Worth a repost :)

"Quite a zinger" :D

terrythomas likes this.
  19. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Justice Tonight.

Have you heard his minimalist version of America he performed at the 2002 concert for New York?
    Cannot post link from secure building.
    :)

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is great

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bowie outsold Adele in 2016. I wish he was still alive. I would have loved to hear what he was going to do after Blackstar which still remains one of my favourite albums of his.

Britain's most popular recording artist in 2016? David Bowie

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus