1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP David Bowie

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by EastEnder, Jan 11, 2016.

1. AuntiStella

AuntiStella Out of the loop

I had a trilogy of dreams about Bowie a few weeks back. The first was about being in a room surrounded by his records, the second was about going to a gig where he died at the end, and the third was just plain weird and cannot be explained or described.

2. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

This is brilliant. I never knew he had covered this.

terrythomas likes this.
  3. D'wards

D'wards A Lawless Brat From a Council Flat

Ponyutd and editor like this.
  4. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

tl;dr but in a recent interview he mentioned that Bowie sort of bypassed him because the first thing he remembers is 'Ashes To Ashes' and then Modern Love and he didn't think it was for him - this is exactly how I came to ignore Bowie as well, (Although I liked those records well enough) so it's nice that someone else has said it - his death made me listen to his stuff more and realise I liked it more than I would have previously admitted to be honest. Possibly because it seemed the people who were real fans (mates, an early girlfriend) bought into the whole cult of his importance and genius and frankly I wasn't having any of it. In the wave of tributes, picking a favourite song, Bobby Gillespie pointed out that there's often a distance in his vocals, I think that was another thing, someone else that they flip flopped on the genius/charlatan reading of his work even now and they called themselves a big fan. So I felt more at home with my misgivings :) helps that Blackstar is great.
    that cover of Waterloo Sunset is dire though. His covers of other people's songs generally are pretty bad I think.

redsquirrel likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey - that article on Buzz had had over 2,500 page views already.

I like this cover from a super beardy Michael Stipe:

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Michael Stipe seems to have got himself mixed up with Michael Eavis :hmm:

ouchmonkey and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. xenon

xenon All aboard the security escalator

10. terrythomas

terrythomas An absolute shower

Heard his mate being interviewed on 5 live yesterday - sounded like a really nice bloke, they were mates until recently I think, he was the one responsible for the punch in the eye.

Fun snippet, he said he left a message for him once on his answerphone that finished "I'm happy, hope your happy too".

The master curator of others ideas :)

editor and Libertad like this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Disappointingly vague here!
    Who was it and what was the punch in the eye?

12. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw 0-2-5-8-8, 0-2-5-8-8

It's a guy who was at school with Bowie called George Underwood. They remained friends, and Underwood later designed the album covers for Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust etc

The man who gave David Bowie different eye colours reveals how he did it

Possibly one to file under "actual friends of David Jones".

Orang Utan likes this.
  13. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Sorry for posting this so late. I only found out just before the deadline and have only just got round to submitting something (late). It only just occurred to me to post it here. Hopefully, if anyone wants to, they'll stil consider it... story ? AuntiStella ? terrythomas ?

Me and the Starman

story likes this.
  14. story

story Changing the facts

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think this is one of his finest songs ever.

Sprocket. and Mation like this.
  16. AuntiStella

AuntiStella Out of the loop

Damn! I didn't see this till now!

17. Mation

They do say they might extend the deadline and they haven't posted up notice any received entries yet, so maybe worth doing anyway, or asking them? I was several days late with it (and haven't heard back yet, but I'm not reading anything into that.)

AuntiStella likes this.
  18. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

From my visit yesterday afternoon with a special close up of Hama Bead Ziggy.

Attached Files:

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I dreamt last week that I was having a balloon fight with David Bowie (yes, really!). We were stuffing large blueberry shaped balloons up each other's jumpers and were having such a good time that I woke myself up laughing and then thinking, "WTF was that all about?!"

Mation and AuntiStella like this.
  20. Mation

Listening to World on 3 (I don't know; age I expect) and heard this and it made me think of him. (Everything does, though, tbh.)

The singing, the song and the theme, not specifically the music. I can imagine him having played it.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is lovely:

[​IMG]

Something beautiful happens when David Bowie's ‘Blackstar' vinyl is left in the sun

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sprocket., Mation and Libertad like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. Mation

My essay is going to be in the book :) :) :) Found out yesterday.

I don't know when it will be published - I think they still need some more submissions, going by the update on that page.

marty21, terrythomas and editor like this.
  26. Mation

editor likes this.
  27. terrythomas

[​IMG]
    Stumbled on this fantastic portrait whilst looking at Andrew Salgados stunning paintings. I can't link directly to it but looking at the others is no hardship http://www.andrewsalgado.com/work/2016
    Edited: just worked it out, here it is

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    clicker and editor like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because, Bowie.

terrythomas likes this.
  29. terrythomas

30. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Carpe Diem!

I am looking forward to buying and reading this, I like Paul Morley's previous work.

Morley Bowie.jpg

terrythomas likes this.