Ringing up employers on spec?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Slo-mo, May 1, 2018.

1. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

.... and asking if they have any jobs going.

Isn't that what agencies basically do? So why not do it myself?

Has anyone here tried it and how did you get on?

2. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I've emailed my CV in but it's never led to anything.

Slo-mo likes this.
  3. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I've wandered into offices in the past and handed in my CV but same as RubyToogood, it never led to anything. Apart from when I was 14 and went round all the local cafes asking for a job. That got me my first ever job, £1.29 an hour!

marty21, RubyToogood and Slo-mo like this.
  4. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Same. Some companies do specifically accept speculative CVs on their websites though so it might be worth submitting that way....

Slo-mo likes this.
  5. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I suppose employers rely on agencies to interview and reference candidates.

I just thought I might hawk myself at £7.83, given an agency would charge quite a lot of commission on top.

6. Thimble Queen

What sort of work are you looking for?

Slo-mo likes this.
  7. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Office admin is my background, apart from a short pre Xmas stint in a warehouse a couple of years ago.

However I'm looking to get out of the admin game long term. It's become hyper competitive and doesn't pay much more than NMW, unless you've got specific skills like audio typing or languages (I haven't). I've looked at driving and also at care work but I don't have any experience in either, or any contacts so I really would be going in cold.

8. Thimble Queen

Have you thought about doing a bit of voluntary work to get some experience of care work along side your day job (whatever that turns out to be). Also what's stopping you from applying for admin roles directly?

Slo-mo likes this.
  9. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

You're not going to get care work at more than nmw.

Slo-mo and Thimble Queen like this.
  10. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Sure. I could actually live on regular full-time NMW, the issue with agency admin work is the volitility. I mean they've found me a couple or three weeks in the exam office of the local uni, but at the end of May it'll be thanks and bye.

But care work isn't something to go into on a whim with no experience beyond helping mum caring for a family member twenty years ago. I quite like the idea of doing a couple of unpaid shifts in care just to see if it's for me.

11. danny la rouge

I wish you luck, and it may well be for you. But when people say it's "rewarding" they don't mean financially. They usually just mean "I wouldn't like to do it".

(I have done care work. It made me ill. Literally).

Slo-mo likes this.
  12. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

if you drop them a CV, always follow it up with a call to see if they have got it - unsolicited stuff usually gets filed after a quick skim in my experience

13. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Purely optional question. What happened and ill in what way? Physical or mental?

14. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I guess the questions to ask yourself are:

If they have vacancies whey aren't they advertising them somewhere you'd see them?

If they are, then why should they employ you rather than someone "following the proper channels"?

If they don't have vacancies, what are you offering that is so compelling that they'd create one for you?

How much effort is it for you to do this, and could the effort be more efficiently spent on another aspect of job hunting?

Either way. Good luck.

15. danny la rouge

Mental.

16. danny la rouge

Oh, and physical. I got hep C from a bite. (Yes, a human bite. At work. As I kept having to tell health professionals).

17. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I was simply thinking it would be cheaper to employ someone direct rather than agency.
    I know this sounds trite, and I realise you are trying to help but it isn't just 'compelling' people who need to eat.

It reminds me of a job advertisement I saw offering "jobs for exceptional people". There is something about "exceptional" that means 99% of people aren't going to be it, no matter how good or bad the average person is. :D

18. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Nasty. One final question because I don't want to pry. Was this a care home for kids, disabled adults or the elderly.

19. danny la rouge

Not sure what that sentence means. But I know what chilango means.

Last time I was on the dole the thing they made you do was send off on spec CVs to employers who weren't advertising jobs. Basically you were expected to say to them "this job doesn't exist at your company, but I'm so good you'll want to pay me to do it anyway". I'm not saying that never works, but it always struck as having a slim chance of success.

chilango and Slo-mo like this.
  20. danny la rouge

It was a day centre for adults with disabilities. And the employer was absolutely unsympathetic about either the physical or mental consequences of the work. They basically forced you off the job, because there's always someone else willing to do it. And no, the union (Unison) weren't any use.

Slo-mo likes this.
  21. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Ok, ta. That was the area I was looking at actually, although the only contact I have who might *just* be able to get me some work experience works with older people.

22. danny la rouge

NB: do join a union, btw. But you're going to have to organise in your workplace by yourself. Don't expect paid officials to "get" anything at all about your work circumstances. And don't expect reps to be anything other than overworked colleagues with bugger all support from the union. But if you get an active workplace membership, you'll have the cover of being in a union.

equationgirl and Slo-mo like this.
  23. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

So do I .

I guess my point, such as I had one, was that there are lots of people who are very average who have jobs, even quite good ones. It isn't just the minority who have amazing CVs, super self confidence who need jobs.

None of which really helps me, but it gave me the chance to rant.

danny la rouge likes this.
  24. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah.

I remember at Job Club many years ago they made me write to every graphic design business within an hour or so's commute asking if they had any work. Unpaid work too.

I sent over 120 letters. I think I got two replies. Nice "thanks, but no thanks" letters.

In my industry - education - it might work for say a high flying Maths/Physics teacher. Massive shortage of good candidates, so it might be worth employers creating a position just to get their hands on you to avoid being unable to fill a potential future vacancy. I do know of one or two cases of that.

But generally, if there's no vacancy, it's highly unlikely they'll create one unless you're offering something scarce and valuable. Sadly low paid labour is neither.

25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I know. But, sadly, employers don't give a damn whether you need a job or not. They only care about whether they need you.

26. danny la rouge

Whereas I actually do think society owes each of us a living (*topic for another thread), sadly individual employers are unlikely to think it's their responsibility.

Slo-mo likes this.
  27. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Do they owe us a living? Of course they fucking do!

28. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

It's cheaper, yes. But many companies (most?) prefer to use agencies, especially for NMW jobs because the agency will do all the donkey work of checking peoples' right to work status, visas, all that kind of stuff.

29. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Sure. Which is why is guess I'm looking at trying to get into areas where there is more demand for staff.

30. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah. Me too!

Slo-mo and danny la rouge like this.