Ricoh GR III announced - 24MP APS-C sensor 'ultimate' street-shooting camera updated

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Sep 27, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

At last!

[​IMG]

let me check some more sites...

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wait - no flash? :(
    But stabilisation! :thumbs:

Photokina 2018: First look at new Ricoh GR III

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not coming out till Jan 2019 :(

Nothing about weatherproofing that I've seen yet.

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/26/ricoh-gr-iii-to-be-the-ultimate-street-photography-camera/

Specs here Ricoh announces development of long-awaited GR III

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It could be exactly the same and if it was dustproof I'd go for it.

On the other hand it could have a 50MP world class full frame sensor and a unicorn rainbow button and if it wasn't dustproof I'd be "meh, fuck it".

I still haven't got round to sending my GR off to get the sensor dust removed and I constantly debate whether it's worth it or not if it's just going to get dusty again, given the time and expense.

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Who buys these things? I mean, I get it technically, ish - but it's very much a niche between ubiquitous high quality phone cameras and proper SLRs. I'm struggling to imagine a serious market outside of the 'but this is what I've always done' collective, and that's sales death.

6. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Clingfilm is literally £2 a roll, m8.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's just about the smallest, high quality street shooting camera you can get, with fantastic manual controls and speed of operation. Stealthy and fast, it's probably my favourite digital camera of all time.

Ricoh GR II: The best camera for Street Photography by Frederik Trovatten
    Why the RICOH GR II is the Best Street Photography Camera
    REVIEW: RICOH GR - BEST CAMERA FOR STREET PHOTOGRAPHY?

8. FridgeMagnet

Street and travel photographers, and any photographer who wants a super high quality compact for when they can't be arsed carrying their full kit. The GR beats high-end (contemporary) APS-C DSLRs with top-quality lenses - it's just restricted to that one focal length. Their film GRs sold on pretty much the same basis.

Financially, Ricoh makes most of their money from office equipment, so they don't need to sell cameras to survive. Canon makes most of their money from non-camera sales too. Nobody buys enough cameras that you can really compete from sales of those alone. Even Nikon and Leica make a lot of other optical products.

editor likes this.
  9. FridgeMagnet

There may be a flaw in that solution.