Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's no sigN of a GR III yet, but it's good to learn that they're still actively developing the wonder camera:

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice piece here: https://petapixel.com/2017/12/29/7-reasons-ricoh-gr-perfect-travel-companion-now/

I'm still using my sensor-dust splattered original GR for night work/rough stuff - the front lens circle is held in with tape, the leatherette has fallen off the grip and had to be glued on at the back, and the flash assembly has fallen off - but it still takes remarkable results. It's not worth fixing though given that it's taken around 35,000 photos so must be bearing death soon!

I bought a new GR two years ago and use that when I want the best quality. Still my favourite camera by a country mile.

2018-02-21_231418.jpg

3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Reminds me that I still need to get mine cleaned :( unfortunately there’s a massive dust blob in the middle of the frame which is impossible to ignore.

The Ricoh site seems to give an address in Staffordshire for repairs Repair Process - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S but it only mentions Pentax :hmm: I think I will drop them an email just to check.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well Ricoh own Pentax so maybe it's ok. How much are they charging for cleaning?

5. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Ah, apparently they just forward Ricoh cameras to Germany rather than fix them on-site :/ You don't get an estimate until you send it off.

I might as well, it's useless unless I get it repaired.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it's pretty pricey - or at least is was the one time I used it - something like £120. The other time they invented all sorts of other things that needed repairing and wanted to charge me over £200 - so I bought a refurb second one instead.