Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

UrbaneFox likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

So, what, it has wifi? Oh, plus some more effect modes....

Well, nice enough for new purchasers I suppose but it's not exactly a reason to upgrade. Actually I still wouldn't advise anyone to buy this new model when they can get the original for so much less, unless they are really mad for wifi.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never gone near any of those effects modes. I am disappointed though.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The price of the original GR has come down quite a bit now - Amazon have got it for around £370. No sign of any reviews for the update though....

6. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I have one of these, it's possibly my favorite gadget.

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I freaking love my GR - it's the camera I use more than any other - but its biggest flaw is the fact that it's not dust proof. Once again I've got dust spots :mad:

Chilli.s likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Any other flaws other than the dust spots?

I've been thinking about getting a smaller camera to use for street shots and was considering a Ricoh. My 5D is great, but it's a bit obvious :D

10. FridgeMagnet

You have to like the 28mm focal length. (Well, the crop modes work well but that's not really using the full potential.) It does also take a couple of seconds to turn on and extend the lens, which is a bit unavoidable for a retractable lens camera I suppose. It eats batteries... off-brand replacements are very cheap though.

Can't really think of much else tbh. I tend to carry it with me any time I am shooting digital, along with another camera. The IQ is really unbelievable at ISO100—it competes with my full frame A900—and it's tolerable up to 3200, so you can use it practically anywhere.

editor and neonwilderness like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's pretty much an amazing camera that's capable of taking superb shots. I use it more than any other camera and I'd buy another one straight away if I lost this one.

neonwilderness likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I love my GR. I use it almost every day, but the sensor dust issues are really pissing me off. I've already had to send the thing off once to get rid of sensor dust and it's become even worse now, rendering the camera pretty much unusable for some uses (the image below was taken in a foggy room but you can see the dust everywhere).

del.jpg

13. FridgeMagnet

Oh, is that the thing at the Wellcome collection?

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It hasn't got an interchangeable lens. Where the fuck is the dust getting in. Looks like a serious design flaw.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Dust gets into almost every digital compact camera ever made, usually courtesy of the retractable lens. It's really common.

18. Chilli.s

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You are a brave man.

20. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Hmm - never happened on my little Fuji (which lives in my pocket without a case).

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It doesn't happen to some GRs either, but if you search for [insert camera name here] and sensor dust you'll almost certainly find problems for some.

e.g. X100s ...3 days - 100 pics - dust on sensor

22. FridgeMagnet

Larger sensors are more prone to it as well. After years of changing lenses on dirty street corners I've still to get any dust on any m43 sensor.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So I've mailed off my Ricoh GR for a sensor clean - current estimate is €80, but I've asked them to look at the lens cover which gets stuck sometimes and (much less importantly) asked them for a quote to get rid of the dust behind the rear LCD screen. It's annoying but I have absolutely hammered this camera and taken thousands of photos with it so wear and tear is to be expected.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So, I got my Ricoh back. The sensor has been cleaned, the dust inside the LCD screen removed and the broken battery door fixed for £60. That's fair enough given the absolute hammering the camera has had.

Chilli.s and RoyReed like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Took this last night. ISO 3200. It's a bloody great camera.

d.jpg

pocketscience likes this.
  26. Chilli.s

I love it when people say "oh the flash didn't go off" when taking pics with the GR.

dfm and editor like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm going right off fucking Ricoh. The SD card holding spring was fucked on its return from repair so I sent it back, with the understanding that it would be a free repair as it was their fuck up. And now they've sent me this:

ddd.jpg

I'm not even sure that they have the right camera because there was nothing wrong with my GR apart from the SD card slot.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. FridgeMagnet

They released the original film GR1 series in silver and black. Funnily enough the silver ones are cheaper nowadays.

editor likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thing is that things have moved on a bit for premium cameras, and just sticking on a bit of silver paint really isn't cutting the mustard when you compare it to metal-covered rivals like the new Fujifilm X70.