Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That's basically why I got mine. I loved the GRD-III but 1600 was... Well, just what you'd expect from a small sensor compact. This is just so much better it's not even funny.

I'm seriously considering the 21mm adaptor.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  2. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I didn't know about the firmware update. I haven't noticed the default to f/4 problem because I have been using mine on Manual almost all of the time. I had better download that for when I want to use Programme mode. There is no problem with TV and AV modes.

No-one has mentioned Snap Focus mode yet. It is usable with several pre-set distances available. It works when low light scenes would cause focussing slowness.

3. FridgeMagnet

The firmware update also has various other bits and pieces - not sure quite how many are wonderful (there's a 47mm crop mode now as well as a 35mm for some reason, as if anyone cared about either) but eh. It may just be psychological but I think AF is faster sometimes.

I have used snap focus with the GRD-III - it's basically the same with the GR - and it can be handy, but there are two main cons: (a) you're only going to use it when the AF is slow, i.e. in poor light, so your DoF is going to be low, so you need to be reasonably sure there's something at that distance pretty precisely and (b) the interface to change distances in snap mode doesn't seem to be that wonderful. I just leave it at 2.5m personally.

4. paul russell999

paul russell999 Well-Known Member

London Camera Exchange are doing the Ricoh GR with a GV-1 Viewfinder (and a case) for £650. In the unlikely event that I could afford the camera in the near future, I would want the viewfinder!

editor likes this.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Is the case like the old Leica cases, where you could leave the viewfinder on the camera, though, or would you have to take it off every time you wanted to cover the camera, say if it were raining?

6. FridgeMagnet

It's more of a belt pouch thing - the camera doesn't fit with the viewfinder on, unfortunately.

7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Bloody daft, isn't it? A decent two-piece ever-ready case with a modern strap and the headroom to keep the viewfinder on the camera makes good sense - better sense than a belt pouch, anyway.

8. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, it's kind of pointless, but tbh it's such a small camera - even with the OVF - that I never really feel the need for a case for it anyway.

I think there are some third-party cases for it which do let you have the OVF attached.

9. FridgeMagnet

After using it for a bit at night, I can safely say that AF really sucks in bad light. It's superb in the day but it's unusually shit after dark unless you are in a fairly lit and importantly contrasty area - e.g. I was taking pictures at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park yesterday and it was fine, the lighting produced lots of sharp edges for it to grab.

This is a pain as I bought it primarily for low light use. However, the snap focus function is pretty powerful and maybe what I need to do is learn how to use that properly.

I would advise anyone getting one to get the OVF if they can as part of a package, it's excellent, really big and clear, and also get a spare battery or maybe two because you'll want one or maybe two. It kind of eats them. (On the other hand the fact that it can charge the battery in-camera means you can also carry the cable plus the plug in a bag or pocket, and charge it if you stop somewhere with a socket, or from a portable USB battery pack like the ones people use for phones.)

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep, it's not that wonderful in low light, but the snap focus function is your friend.

But this no half-focus feature looks ace!

11. FridgeMagnet

The depth of field is pretty large as the lens is so wide, even at f2.8 - 2.5m will get you from 1.8m to 4.2m (so anybody close but not too close) and 5m will get you 2.8 - 27m. (Using the calculator at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html based on the APS-C sensor.)

The 21mm adaptor, which I got yesterday, makes this even easier. It's great but does make the whole package a lot bulkier, to the level of an m43 camera. The quality you get from it, though, you'd be paying more for in m43, unless there are 10.5mm m43 primes around cheap that I've not heard of.

12. FridgeMagnet

Oh, and the adaptor has a slight curve to it, as opposed to the normal lens which is dead straight from side to side if you do the "brick wall test". (It's a bjt of a challenge finding a brick wall large enough to test the 21mm with.)

It is a terrific piece of kit though. I'll post some examples up when I get home.

editor and Vintage Paw like this.
  13. FridgeMagnet

UrbaneFox, Chilli.s, editor and 2 others like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm using my GR every day in NYC (along with my OM-D). It is a truly wonderful street shooter and small and tough enough to take out in the evening.

I love the fact that it forces me to think about settings when I'm shooting , and I'm pretty sure my understanding of photography is improving a whole load as a result.

15. FridgeMagnet

I've heard several people talking about using it as their only camera on a trip (in fact the guy in the shop who sold it to me was raving about doing that). My instinct would be to have something with interchangeable lenses but tbh all I ever use are 28s and 50s in practice when I'm on holiday.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I took far more photos on my GR than my OM-D in NYC, but sometimes a zoom/telephoto really is necessary!

17. FridgeMagnet

In case anyone missed it, they've released firmware version 4.0, which amongst other things adds a "High Speed" AF option.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/gr_s.html

I really can't see why you would not use High Speed AF all the time - I've not extensively tested it but it seems to hugely improve the GR's previous rather rubbish low-light AF.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've usually switched to snap mode when the light gets too low, but I'll see what difference this makes.

I'm still loving the GR. I take more pictures on that camera than any other I own.

19. FridgeMagnet

I normally do as well - the great thing is of course that you can still have "full press snap" on, so if it looks like it's hunting just press fully and snap. But this update seems to result in a lot less hunting in low light anyway.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, I learned that from some user forums, they don't document it :D

For a camera with a stupid number of options one also seems to spend a very small amount of time adjusting them. Once they're set to your preference you can just shoot and they don't get in the way.

{{{Ricoh GR}}}

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm getting a bit of a problem with dust on the sensor now and it seems that it's not that unusual. I may send it off to be serviced seeing as I've had such incredible use out of it (over 13,000 pics in under a year!)

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've had to send off my Ricoh GR for service, and I'm realising just how much I use it.

I dusted off my Lumix LX5 but that seemed slow and clunky compared to the GR, and ended up using my original GRD (from 2007, I think) to take pics at my club night.

24. FridgeMagnet

I have heard a reference to sensor dust elsewhere, though can't say I've noticed any myself.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I guess it was inevitable given that I don't keep it in a case and have taken it *everywhere*.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The rumour mill is starting up that there may be a follow up being announced at Photkina next month.

If they manage to add image stabilisation and perhaps a slightly faster lens I'll be horrendously tempted.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Finally got it back today. I never quite realised how utterly indispensable this camera has become until it went off for repair.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So happy to have this camera back. It is such an amazing thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still loving this camera and using it almost every day. This is incredible quality for low light 4000 ISO

gr.jpg

30. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox The Royal Cataract