Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. freshnero

freshnero Well-Known Member

I ordered a 18-200 nikon and while waiting the 2 week deliverly time
    I was given a 50 fixed for my birthday.when compared to the 18-200 i shocked just how versatile the 50 was low-light, action and the quality of the pictures was shocking
    It was the 1st time i looked at my pictures and thought that couldn't be taken with a point and shoot

2. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Ricoh GR undressed.

For those who want to see the orignal size of one of sthe Ricoh GR images I showed in the August thread, click on the link below find the original photobucket file.

When the image first appears it is in the compressed version with a magnify symbol in the bottom right. Click on that and the image again appears in compressed view with the magnify symbol again. Click on this a second time and you get the original massive image spread over much more than your computer screen. You can then judge if the pixelation is too much for you at an ISO of 4800.

Go on you know you want to.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Hoc...ic/H0000297XO_zpsc6ec92f8.jpg.html?sort=4&o=0

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

To me that statement seems like poppycock!! Me and most of my contemporaries, and certainly the generation before me, learnt photography on fixed-lens 35mm compacts like the Canon Canonet, and I reckon it probably teaches you much more effectively than an SLR to pre-visualise your shots. Add to that the massive amount of editing you can do with a digital image, even from a fixed lens camera, and you're not losing anything with the fixed lens, you're actually gaining some more self-discipline. :)

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

You can get good large-sensor zoom compacts - the RX100 is one, and probably going down in price now the RX100 ii has been released.

But I never quite saw the point of zoom compacts myself, you can never hold them steady enough to get anything decent at the long end. Also I mostly shoot street stuff and buggering about changing the zoom just means you waste time. You need to be close for that sort of stuff anyway, shots taken with a long lens don't get the angles that make the viewer feel like they're there.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a lovely camera but the sensor is a lot smaller than a Micro Four Thirds camera though.

[​IMG]

There's another review here:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/122225-ricoh-gr-review

6. FridgeMagnet

I'm certainly dead interested in this one but the stuff about autofocus speed and battery life - which are my two biggest bugbears with digitals - is putting me off a bit. Not that I can afford it anyway so maybe that's good.

I've been using that pancake lens cap lens today on my m43 body actually :D I'll put some pics up if any are worth it. Not on this thread obv.

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This guy has a pretty good blog made up of pics only taken with the GR (plus a fair bit of post-processing by the looks of things).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hocus Eye.

As with some other digital cameras there is some post-processing that you can do in the camera. For instance the 'trim' feature acts like a digital zoom - and with such a large image this is viable. You can also change levels and alter the colour balance all within the camera after taking the picture. You cannot judge the final image quality until you blow it up on screen of course.

I have not so far experienced problems with slow focussing in low light or the battery becoming exhausted too quickly. I carry a spare battery in any case, but this is something I have done with my previous three digital cameras.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you get chance, I'd love to see more of your GR pics.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had a good play on one today. It's a fair bit bigger than my old GR but the interface is sublime.

There's another portfolio shot on a GR here but the pics aren't exactly inspiring:
    http://lamgr.tumblr.com/

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hocus Eye. I'm getting increasingly tempted by this camera. I really want a fast, high quality camera with manual controls that will fit in my pocket. What's been the downsides, if any, you've felt after buying the GR?

13. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I was browsing on the Ricoh GR group discussions on flickr the other day, plenty of people using it over there, might be worth taking a look for some varied opinions. Most seem to love it, but are bringing up one or two things that niggle.

14. Hocus Eye.

To me
    To me the main probllem is that displayed by all digital cameras that I have owned, that is the difficulty of seeing the screen in bright daylight. That is why I forked out for the optical viewfinder. There is no option of an electtonic one so settings cannot be made while looking through it.

It is worth buying a second battery if you are out all day with the camera although I haven't noticed the lack of reserve some reviewers have mentioned. At first I didn't like the fact that there is no battery charger and you have to connect the charger line direct to the camera. It charges quickly though.

I don't think there is any secret flaw that will annoy any regular user.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I cracked and bought one!

Here's an ISO 1600 shot from my window late at night (f4) - straight out of the camera/JPG and handheld (leant against window sill)

ricoh.jpg

ricoh1.jpg

100% crop.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. Hocus Eye.

It is hardly fair to compare its size with the original GR digital as the sensor is so much larger. What is of note is that it is slimmer than the otherwise smaller LX5.

Enjoy.

And don't blame me if you find some obscure fault that I hadn't noticed. ;)

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What batteries did you buy? I used to run my GR/LX3 on some right shonky internet-sourced cheapos that did the job, but they don't fit this camera

19. Hocus Eye.

I bought a spare DB 65 which is the battery that comes with the camera. It is black and rectangular very like the Panasonic LX batteries. I read somewhere that older Ricoh GR could take a bundle of AAA batteries but this one can't.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How much did you pay for it and where did you get it? There seems to be some confusion on some forums about some third party batteries not fitting.

21. Hocus Eye.

I cannot remember what I paid for it. I bought it at the same time as the camera and optical viewfinder. The whole package cost me about £700 in a bricks and mortar shop. The DB-65 has 'Ricoh' written on it and is the one that comes with the camera It is not a 3rd party lash-up. When you pay that much for a camera there seems no point in trying to save money on batteries. Its specification is 3.6 V 1250mAh 4.5Wh. I am not sure what a Wh is.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/2207/Ricoh-DB-65-Li-ION-Battery-for-Ricoh-GR.html

The battery in the link above - the real thing costs £44. You can get a "compatible" battery from digitalmediastore for £9.99. Perhaps that is the one that has caused controversy.

On further investigation I have tried and failed to fit either a Lumix L3 battery or a DB60, which is the battery for the Ricoh Caplio R5 into the GR and neither will locate in place although they look identical in size and shape. Some clever design feature there although the Lumix and the Caprio will take and work with each other's batteries.

I have also found out what Wh is. It means Watt hours.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Diddly Squat and Vintage Paw like this.
  23. FridgeMagnet

I note that the Coolpix A, which was generally considered the closest camera on the market to the GR but way more expensive, has come down hugely in price on Amazon to about £630. Still more, though.

24. FridgeMagnet

Okay, I cracked as well and bought one, on a deal with the GV-1 viewfinder for £600 total (which is a pretty good deal considering the GV-1 goes for £200 new on its own - this was at Chiswick Cameras which is just down the road from me and does mail order from their site if anyone else wants to get that). It's now charging while I have a cup of coffee and dry off after the Lord Mayor's Parade. Got a belt case free as well.

I had a go on the screw-in wide angle converter while I was there and it was surprisingly good - felt very solid and gives a nice extra-wide 21mm which would be great in some situations. However it does stop it being pocketable while it's on, and can't just be slipped on and off quickly, it's too secure for that. I'd definitely like one but it's £250 with the ring widget so maybe at some point in the future.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good call!

I've been out shooting with the GR today in not so sunny Bognor. It really is a fantastic camera but you need to get all manual on its ass to get the best out of it.

26. FridgeMagnet

I see there is a firmware update for it which solves the "default to f4" issue which is good as it's already annoying me.

Past that though the quality even at ISO3200 is just nuts. It's like 400 on other compacts I have. The whole thing is a tiny bit bigger than the GRD-III but also I think lighter.

27. FridgeMagnet

The new firmware is definitely much better - anyone who hasn't upgraded should do so.

Battery life not too impressive so far. At least it can charge in-camera so you just need to carry the cable around to do that, but I might get a spare battery too.

The optical VF is huge and bright and great on sunny days but I wouldn't pay £200 for it. If you see one for cheap, sure.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I bought two spare batteries for something like £6 each and they work ok. The quality is fabulous and there's usually loads of details to r brought out of shots - even with JPGs. I just love the control I have over the thing.

del.jpg

29. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, the dynamic range is terrific. I don't even bother with RAWs, the JPEGs have practically film-like range even at 3200.

30. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I've been using my original GR-D a bit more frequently of late, and the one thing I'm noticing that is irking me about it is the noise in lower light. It's a great camera, but I think I'm putting this on my Xmas 2014 list (I don't think I or anyone else can afford to buy it for me for Xmas 2013, woe).

Also, the battery drains like a bugger when not in use. Is it generally suggested to remove the battery if you're not using it for a while? I think I might start doing that.