Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The more wealthy photographers have always been able to fire off tons of photos on a shoot - and often they'll capture an image they may not have done if they were having to be very frugal with their shooting. That's why so many of the big name photographers came from well to do backgrounds.

I take a fair few photos but they're anything but "shotgun."

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

The most I shot was about 800 over a 24 hour period. Digital, jpeg.

3. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I consider my bracketing to be 'shotgunning', so to speak. I call it shotgunning because with digital, I might get 5 - 10% useable from a day's shooting.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I expect to get much higher than that, but it's different when you're shooting more documentary stuff.

5. weltweit

How many clicks on your shutters JC3?

6. Johnny Canuck3

I don't understand the question? With bracketing, you mean? One.

7. weltweit

Total actuations of the shutter.
    My dslr is now up to something like 40,000 clicks, it is only nominally rated to 50k ...
    I just wonder if shutter life is something you take into account if you are bracketing a lot.

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Garry Winogrand:
    He famously shot enough to have worn out the backplate of his Leica.
    [​IMG]

bmd and Vintage Paw like this.
  9. Johnny Canuck3

I don't know. I don't even know how one would check something like that.

10. weltweit

Well on mine, the image filename goes from dscf0001.* to dscf9999.* so indicating each 10,000 and then when you have shot the first 10k it opens a new folder called 0002 for the next 10,000 images .. I am up to folder 0004 and image dscf0724.* which either means I have done 40,724 actuations or perhaps 50,724.

I think there is also a way of extracting total actuations from an image file.

11. Johnny Canuck3

My current camera I got at Christmas. I just clicked over the 9999 a couple of days ago. My most recent shot was 764.

12. Johnny Canuck3

The last camera I used for maybe 4 years. At the current rate, that would be 80000 clicks.

13. weltweit

That is quite a high number of shutter actuations, depending on your camera spec you might be at some risk of having a shutter fail at some point. Pro dslrs have much higher rated shutters than more normal dslrs.

14. Johnny Canuck3

That's possible; but given the way I put that camera through the mill, it's surprising that it still works at all. It's been dropped a few times, dropped in sand at least once, etc etc.

15. weltweit

Yes, it isn't worth worrying about ........

16. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Well I have gone and done it - bought a Ricoh GR. It is in my bag in its box waiting for me to attend to its needs. I got an optical viewfinder and a spare battery so a bit of a hole in my bank balance.

The shop called earlier today to say that one was ready. Apparently there were 5 ahead of me on the list but all cried off putting me at the top. They have sold about 60 of them since the release and none have come back with faults. Good that is what I expect.

Vintage Paw and dweller like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice one! Please post up your experiences (and example pics)!

*envy

18. Hocus Eye.

Will do. You have no need to be envious with your own arsenal of shooters, including the Olympus OMG. See what I did there?

dweller likes this.
  19. Hocus Eye.

Well I have hit a snag with my Ricoh GR. I have only taken a few pictures because I am still working out how to use it. I have downloaded the manual PDF on to my smartphone because the original is printed in very fine print on a tiny booklet. The problem I have is that when I connect the camera to my laptop to download the pictures, nothing downloads. The DCIM file shows up on screen and when I click on it the Ricoh file appears. When I click on that the numbers of the pictures appears but cannot be copied or even dragged and dropped. Windows Explorer stops and hangs. I have to unplug the lead to set the computer free again. I have tried re-formatting the SD card in the camera several times.

However if I take the SD card out and put it in a card reader or even plug it into the SD slot on the laptop all is well and the pictures can be copied to the computer. I called the shop about the problem and they were dumbfounded said they will contact Ricoh to see if they can find out anything that might be a cause. They took my number and promised to get back to me.

So while I wait for the shop to get back to me I will continue to use the camera. The picture quality is rather special so no complaints on that score.

Hey Ho! :hmm:

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think I've ever hooked up a camera to a PC - at least not for a very long time (short of installing updates).

I always prefer to just take out the SD card (and it saves battery life on the camera too).

21. Hocus Eye.

It looks like that is what I will be limited to. But I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. Mostly I have just downloaded pictures from the last 4 or so cameras without any problems.

I took some pictures tonight at an open mic night. They were very harsh with their detail of some not so young performers. I will have to be careful how I use these pictures.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One thought: you haven't saved the images to the camera's internal memory have you?

23. Hocus Eye.

No they were on the card and I was able to copy them to the laptop once I put the card in the computer. I am now starting to use the camera in Manual mode, it is good, very good - the best picture quality of any digital I have used and that includes my 4/3 Olympus E420 dSLR. Of course APSc is bigger.

editor likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. Hocus Eye.

Hi editor, I am on holiday in Devon ATM and have been taking but so far not uploading images. Hope to do that soon.

Working my way through the menus. It is good fun. I am keeping the camera in my trouser pocket even with the optical finder attached.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've convinced myself that the Ricoh GR is exactly what I need to fill an important photographic need.
    The OM-D is great for 'proper' photography, the E-PL5 for daytrips, but I've got nothing pocketable for nights out and street shooting...

I've just sold some photos too....

*itchy fingers

27. Hocus Eye.

editor check out my recent photographs in the August Photos thread.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. freshnero

freshnero Well-Known Member

Ticked every box untill the fixed len
    I'm just not that skilled to rock a fixed

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's a lot to be said for a fixed lens. Keeps things simple.