Ricoh GR /GRII: cheapest, lightest and smallest APS-C digital compact camera you can buy.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

It looks well :cool:

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's going to be a lot better than my original GR, but the interface and build will no doubt be excellent. It's a lovely little camera.

4. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

I've got a Ricoh GX100, which I use. It's sturdy, crap in low light, great in daylight.
    I find it not that easy to use when using MF and some other settings.

I'd buy one again, but the main thing my GX did is make me realise I should've just bought an SLR and a bigger bag :)

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I really like the design philosophy of the Ricoh GR range. Lovely cameras.

6. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

That looks really nice - I decided against getting a small camera in the end, but this would be a contender if my mind changes in future. Not cheap, but compares favourably to, for example, the Nikon Coolpix A...

7. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

just watched this video, looks impressive

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I love the Ricoh GR cameras. I've used the original GR-D for six years or something, but I can't afford the price tag of this beaut.

Edit to add: Wish I hadn't watched that video now. WANT!

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've seen some more videos. Damn I want one of these.
    That snap focus mode is a treat.

10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I've been looking for the film GRs - the GR1, GR1s and GR1v. Way too expensive. Trendy camera bastards.

I found one at a camera fair the other week for £120 but didn't have enough cash for it - by the time I'd got back from the ATM somebody else had bought the bloody thing :mad:

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've still got the original GRD digital camera and the interface is still superb. The fact that it's like the camera equivalent of a ThinkPad (i.e. matt black, industrial lines, barely any branding and built like a brick shithouse) only adds to its appeal.

Vintage Paw and dweller like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If I manage to sell any pics in the next month or so, or get any kind of unexpected windfall, I may get this.

I love my Olympus cameras, but neither are really pocketable and I'd like a high quality, street shooting camera in my back pocket.

dweller likes this.
  13. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Oh yes this Ricoh looks very interesting. I might be tempted. I have stayed with my Lumix LX3 for several years now without being tempted to move on but I might consider the Ricoh GR.

However I think I will hang on a bit before buying one. Discussion around the net suggests that this and the Nikon equivalent are the first of a batch of APS-C pocketable cameras that will be launched this year into what is seen as a new sector of the camera market. That could do a bit of damage to the 4/3 format sector.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There may well be cameras with more gizmos than the GR, but it's by miles the most user friendly interface I've come across on a compact, ad I love its no nonsense looks.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. FridgeMagnet

Well, I'd buy one if I had the money.

Actually there are a couple of lenses that I'd buy first. And I'd probably buy a film one. But it's definitely up there - it's just my sort of thing.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've asked Ricoh to loan a review model but there's a bit of a wait on. They used to offer discounts for journalists, and if that's generous enough, I may just buy the thing anyway.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Another rave review....
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ricoh_gr_review/

With test shots taken around Brixton: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ricoh_gr_review/sample_images/

20. Hocus Eye.

I previously read the preview on Digitalreview which had me wanting the camera and now with that review above I am getting ready to part with money. That Ricoh looks to be a real step up in quality for a pocketable camera and it has some very usable features that leave my existing cameras behind. Also it is much better value for money than its close rival the new Nikon with the same sensor (Sony reputedly).

Greebo and editor like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. FridgeMagnet

That is pretty much the shittest camera review I have yet read :D I think it's real, too.

23. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

Pretty unhelpful, but no worse than I've seen many times before, and indeed, for higher-end cameras than this...tbh I think it's the genuinely insightful reviews that are the exception, guff like this is more or less the norm!

Do like the way the video review seems go be being narated by Werner Herzog, though.

24. Hocus Eye.

I just went to my local photography shop to have a look at a Ricoh GR. No luck, they have sold all they had and have 8 people waiting for the next batch to come in. There will apparently be 20 coming in next week. They have taken my number to call me when they are in.

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

DPReview review up: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/
    GOLD award!

*double want!

26. Hocus Eye.

I have long regarded Dpreview as itself the Gold Standard of reviewers. They know their stuff and don't write bullshizzle.

That other review criticized above doesn't go into the kind of detail that Dpreview does, yet it seems to have found a fault with Macro focusing. This could of course be the reviewer not understanding how to work the camera in that mode.

I was a bit mystified by the comment about the small size of the screen giving the impression of being in focus when they are not when seen larger. What camera is he used to using? Perhaps he should have gone to that famous opticians seen on TV.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Video review here. I always like this guy's style.

UrbaneFox likes this.
  28. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

^^ I saw that vid the other day and he mentions about the max shutter speed being lower than 4000 when
    wide open (2000?), just when you might want a higher speed to let less light in.
    I know it has a built in ND filter but this is a little niggle in an otherwise well specced beauty.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

It looks ok, but with the widest aperture at 2.8, it's a touch slow for my liking, especially with the night shooting I do. If I'm going to get another of these compact digitals, it will be the Sony Cybershot DXC RS100. 20 megapixels with a 1.8 widest aperture [28 - 100 mm equivalent]. Sleek.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m2

But I'm saving up; I want my next camera to be a full-frame DSLR.