Rice mind bender

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Infidel Castro, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

I just went to Asda to buy some basmati rice. Once at the correct aisle, I browsed the available selection. There were x2 own brand bags that caught my eye:

Asda white basmati rice, cooks in 12min.

Asda easy cook basmati rice, cooks in 16min.

I am saving 4min of my life later today by taking the not-so-easy route.

While some reasons come to mind for the difference in cooking time in favour of the non-easy-cook basmati rice, I'm choosing to bask in the seeming contradiction. :D

2. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

"Easy Cook" rice means they have washed out some of the starch so that it is less sticky - it doesn't refer to cooking time. Just means that if you're a complete rice novice it is harder to balls up in terms of ending up with a stodgy mass.

If you know how to cook rice you won't need the easy cook version :D

3. 8ball

8ball Up to something

The name "idiot rice" apparently didn't go over so well at the focus group.

Chz, UnderAnOpenSky, donkyboy and 6 others like this.
  4. Infidel Castro

Exactly - I chose to repress my thought processes for a while as it made me laugh. I learnt how to cook rice the time after I burnt rice, a pan and a worktop when I was about 20. Plain sailing thereafter :).

PippinTook likes this.
  5. Infidel Castro

Ended up buying rice from the chippie. Ha.

PippinTook likes this.
  6. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I do end up with easy cook rice sometimes (Tesco delivery substitutions :D ) and there's nothing wrong with the stuff, can't tell much difference once it's cooked - it's not so good for dishes where you want a little stickiness mind you and would ideally want a bit more starch left in it, but if you want separate fluffy grains it's perfectly fine. (At least the long-grain is fine, don't think I've had any other easy cook varieties)