1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rhodri Morgan, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by William of Walworth, May 18, 2017.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

The news of his death is all over the news in Wales today.

Here's the BBC obituary

And the Guardian's one.

The only Rhodri Morgan-related Urban threads I could find were old -- so as well as saying 'R.I.P' to a constant Welsh Labour campaigner -- let's also chat about what people in/from/living in Wales think about him.

2. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I lack knowledge and need to read up a lot more on Wales' former main man myself. I generally respected/liked what little I knew about him, speaking from an old-Labour, TU-supporting POV.

Surely he deserved a lot of respect in Wales?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I always respected him. Down to earth kinda fella.

4. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I only moved here in 2013 so I don't feel qualified to comment - but colleagues whose politics I respect liked him and Welsh Labour people I know are devastated. Apparently Tony Blair hated him which is a sure sign of a good sort.

editor, William of Walworth and tim like this.
  5. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

RIP Rodders
    he was better than most politicians imo and the one time i dealt with him

even some anarchos with nice words to say about him today!

6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Same views as I have of most of the left-leaning Labour people, (and I'm not sure how "left" he really was) - maybe decent enough on an individual level but they provide the cover the allows the Labour party to attack people. And when it comes down to it they always back the party over the politics.

7. ginger_syn

ginger_syn >¿✴

He seemed a considerate person and always willing to say hello or at least give you a nod and a smile when passing, my son met in a local pub and said he was a sound bloke to talk to and helpful.
    R.I.P Rhodri.

editor likes this.