1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolution against 'rich parasites' at Burning Man Festival as 'hooligans' attack luxury camping

Discussion in 'festivals' started by editor, Sep 5, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Poor little rich things.

Revolution against 'rich parasites' at utopian Burning Man Festival as 'hooligans' attack luxury camp

Mation likes this.
  2. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

Quite possibly nobody is in this that I don't feel is a fucking idiot, tbh. Why feel the need to be bellends about it?

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I'm sure the people kicking off have scraped together their last few quarters just to be able to go.

pengaleng likes this.
  4. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Probably because they set up their own 'private' festival which rather goes against the original ethos.

5. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Point is that they had closed camps, no? From my understanding of BM, that's the opposite of what it's supposed to be about.

That said, this isn't how to deal with it. Article says the cops were called, which I doubt lots of campers appreciated. It's the sort of trouble that leads to more state control/oversight in the future.

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Already being discussed on another thread or did I imagine that? :hmm:

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Closed camps with private security, apparently.

8. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

9. littlebabyjesus

Don't blame others for being pissed off by that. Dunno what could be done to stop it, though.

Can't quite bring myself to call them 'burners', mind. Guess you've got to be there.

Build a wall around them overnight, maybe?

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That looks miles better than Burning man already.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. littlebabyjesus

I guess stuff like this has a shelf-life, sadly. Victim of its own success in attracting people who don't get, or simply don't want, what it's supposed to be about, but an important part of what it's supposed to be about preventing any way to stop said people from being selfish dicks about it.

muscovyduck likes this.
  12. Johnny Canuck3

I know a couple of people who've been there: it sounds really interesting. Worth reading up about.

That's the problem with these things, though - once they become known, they attract more and more people with time, and they go down the slippery slope.

There was a time when Burning Man was a really cool thing, but like so many other good ideas, it has become a victim of its own success.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. Johnny Canuck3

You know, it's too bad for Burning Man what's happened to it; but imo, there's something positive to be taken away from the fact of its popularity.

These sorts of things - that have come to be labelled as 'transformative' festivals or events - attract more and more people as time goes by. Often, they center around core beliefs like self-reliance, community, sharing, pleasure, leaving no trace, etc.

It seems to me that something has gone astray in the way we live life in Western society, and other people seem to be coming to that conclusion as well. Where the rub comes in, is in where different people look to seek some sort of answer.

I think for a certain type of person in the US, they see an answer in someone like Trump, who preaches, in essence, a brand of intolerance, exclusion, militarism, dominance, and strength in vanquishing The Other, in the many forms that The Other comes in. Europe has its own versions of this sort of thing, although arguably, and luckily, without someone possessing Trump's charisma, to lead them.

I don't like their answer; and I'm pleased to see that the numbers of those who seek an answer in the 'transformative' direction, are growing.

14. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

There's another thread from a few years ago about billionaires setting up private camps at Burning Man which got bumped with this story.

Rutita1 likes this.
  15. Skyfallsz

Skyfallsz Increase the positivity Banned

It is a shame, it's quite a cool idea.

I think that turning into some yuppie magnet is built into the whole hippy individualist ethos. Either you come up with something good and it ends up selling out, or you come up with a load of twaddle and people stop pretending it isn't rubbish

16. Matchbox

Matchbox Banned Banned

Isn't Glastonbury the same now though? It costs over 200 pounds for a festival that lasts just three days? No way would I ever pay that much to attend a pop festival even if it did have the best bands in the world playing. I can remember the punk era which started as a reaction to rock stardom. The punk scene was great as it was based around small venue, low gig prices and as soon as a punk band got famous punks dropped them and looked for another band to follow. In the punk scene the word rock star or pop star was a dirty word.

keybored likes this.
  17. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Tue - Monday camper van
    Wed - Monday normal tents

not just 3 days and 1000's of acts on 100's of stages.

one decent gig is £30-50 these days, it's well worth the money and I'm not even going next year.

Badgers likes this.
  18. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

glastonbury is well shit, dont bother.

keybored and bi0boy like this.
  19. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

yes, it's exactly the same.

Ranbay likes this.
  20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

A better form of protest would have been to spike to water supply of the gates areas with LSD.

21. Matchbox

Matchbox Banned Banned

You have obviously never been to a punk gig! And I don't mean to see the punk superstars like Stiff Little Fingers or The Clash. I mean to see normal punk bands. I can remember back in the 1980s people complaining if they had to pay more than 2 pounds to see a gig. OK so inflation has knocked that up a lot to the equivalent of say 8 pounds today. But even 8 pounds is way cheaper than most commercial gigs.

22. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

yes I have never been to a punk gig.
    well done have a biccy etc

23. And piss.

24. -=RicK=-

-=RicK=- Gouch Potato

Brilliant! :D

25. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Fisted by clowns.

26. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Yeah, it's complete fucking rubbish :mad:

In the opinion of people who never go ;) :p

krtek a houby likes this.
  27. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

28. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Slab City, Salton Sea, Desert Shores, Salvation Mountain, that area is heavily referenced in GTA V, the famous Scottish video game.

29. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I thought it was from Leeds?

30. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

No. Rockstar North, which is in Edinburgh.

Chilli.s and Orang Utan like this.