Returning Bali Traveler

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Raija Dewa, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Raija Dewa

Raija Dewa Banned Banned

Has anybody been to Bali before? Any recommendations on hotels, villas or tours? Or best areas to stay? Just in Bali now and can’t wait to come back so starting to find the best options. Traveling in February again next year.

2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Ubud is rather lovely, if a wee bit touristy.

3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Go to Padang Bai and get a boat to the Gili islands.

Ming likes this.
  4. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I like staying in padang bai. Nice and chilled when the gilli tourists fuck off :)

5. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Perth, WA

I'm going to Legian in December, I will report back! I've heard the Gili Islands are lovely. We have hired a gorgeous villa, I can't bloody wait!

Ming likes this.
  6. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Gili Trawangan and try Rudy’s ‘special mushroom’ pizza (maybe not his booze though). The diving’s great also (got my Open Water there).

7. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

I disliked Bali because of the heat and the traffic. Lombok was better - if lacking the culture of Bali - and as I was told the vegetation is completely different even though they are only separated from 80 odd kilometres of sea.

Indonesia being Indonesia though you’re never left alone and the young men down those parts are lecherous little fucks. I was close to dropping a few, what with their beady eyes all over my GFs body.

Indonesia it must be said is the only place anybody has been polite enough to tell me that my sister’s homosexuality can be fixed if we catch it before she is 30 (26 at the time). Make of that what you will. For context the ask the most intrusive questions for ice-breakers.

Go to Flores and over that way further. Much less traveled.

On a different note why in the flying fuck has this first time poster not been hounded for his absurdity, and for the fact that he could well be another ‘Lengel’ ?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

I've been to Lombok, a beautiful island, and I'm off to Bali in a couple of weeks with a mate. I've never been to the island of the gods before so I'm really looking forward to the trip. We're off to Kuta first to see what the fuss is about, then up to Ubud .. then no plans so where ever takes our fancy. We've booked a couple of rooms in a 25 quid hotel to get us started, then we'll take it from there.
    18 days and counting down.

Hollis and krtek a houby like this.
  9. krtek a houby

We had mostly positive experiences in Bali, friendly and honest people. There were a few annoyances, sure but overall we came away happy and feeling lucky to have been there.

As for the OP, benefit of the doubt. Although, one could ask since he's actually there at the moment, why is he asking us for recommendations and is this a prelude to some spam... if I was suspicious, like ;)

10. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Yeah it’s all relative to one’s experience. Actually my better-half flew off a few days before me so after driving her to the airport I dropped into a bar to watch City v Liverpool (Boxing Day 2-2) and was privy to some appalling conversations by totally kaylined Brits.

Then on the short drive home I’ve got pimps chasing me down on motorbikes hollering ‘ladies ladies’. Was a little unsavoury. And then the oddbod Belgian in the hotel the next day who it seemed lived there and was very territorial. Just not good vibes, especially Kuta. Ubud was lovely but very pretentious.

Thing is it’s a big Island isn’t it, and that volcano is stunning. I hear the North side is lovely and peaceful and also has dolphins.

krtek a houby likes this.
  11. krtek a houby

Raija Dewa

Any use to you? What do you wish to take on board from your visits to Bali?

12. Don Troooomp

13. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Don Troooomp likes this.
  14. Don Troooomp

I saw all that stuff in Thailand and it's as sad as it is evil. Young girls, some obviously way too young, hanging out of bars trying to get tourists in. It's bloody horrible to see it, more so when you know at least some are forced in by poverty. others by bastards. Malaysia has pimps having a go at on on the streets, but I can't talk about Bali as yet as this will be my first time. I didn't see any on Lombok but we were travelling as 3 generations of a family so we wouldn't have been approached anyway.

15. Raija Dewa

Raija Dewa Banned Banned

Thanks for the information this really helps my planning.

I’ve been looking at villa options and hotels still not sure yet which one to choose. I found these sites <spam links removed> for villas and spoke to them and for hotels I found this site <spam links removed>

Has anybody used them before?

I’m looking at booking some tours when I’m there and this site and lots of different options <spam links removed> but my kids want to do this tour <spam links removed> Any suggestions for Bali bucket list must do’s??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:39 AM
  16. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Restoring this thread as it had useful stuff on it even though it was started by a spammer.

17. Don Troooomp

Since it's back, I'll bookmark it and add my experiences with hotels and food.
    It'll be cheap hotels and cheaper food, probably with a human rather than a tourist angle.

18. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Kuta / Legian are very touristy - a bit like magaluf for aussies. Traffic is shocking busy in the SE of the island.

Sanur is a far more chilled out place to stay within easy reach of the airport.

Lembongan island is easy to reach from bali. Much more chilled out too.

Use official Bluebird taxi. They are cheaper and friendlier than the billion lookalike taxi's.

The further north and west you go the more likely you are to find real bali culture.

Tourist dollar have poisoned bali in tourist areas. Get away from the main places and the prices go down and the people become nicer.

19. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

The best food I ate in Indonesia was in a tiny little warung in Bali on a side-street off the dual carriageway that zooms past the airport. We found a cheap hotel to stay there as our flight was early in the morning and it turned out to be a great decision, particularly for the food. A warung is a small family owned cafe on the street btw.

Not so great a decision was to walk to the airport the next morning because it “wasn’t far”. That airport is designed for taxis only, do not make the mistake of trying to walk in. Not far became miles with no pavements.

In Yogyakarta I met a Belgian who was slightly anti-Australian. “One more little bomb, it could not hurt”. A bit extreme but if you see the worst bits of Bali, full of entitled Aussies, you knew what he meant.

20. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger