Retropie...

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by ska invita, Aug 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

2. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

No reason why it shouldn't work.

Not sure how they cleared rights to sell the games though. Would they be out of copyright already?

Even though they don't accept returns, if it doesn't work just get your money back via a credit card charge back.

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

You can do it yourself for about £60 (below kit comes with 16GB SD as opposed to 32GB, a 32GB Micro SD will cost you about £10 on Amazon)

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Media Centre Kit

RetroPie

Depends if the extra £60 is money you'd rather spend instead of time. E.g. Putting the RetroPie OS onto the SD card, and obtaining the ROMS yourself.

I've often found when I have too many games, I end up not really bothering with any of them because I have too much choice.

I've done the above myself, and it works fine, so no reason why the one for sale should not work.

If it helps, I have pretty much all the ROMS including NEO-GEO, Atari etc, and will happily upload them to some online storage somewhere if you'd rather do the project yourself.

ska invita likes this.
  4. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

I got a pi as a present a while back and managed to find and load up some ROMs and retropie. It was fairly straight forward.

However some were unstable, I couldn't get the Amiga ones to work, and couldn't get any neo-geo to work .... Not sure if the more recent retropie version would help or if I needed to do some tinkering in the system to get amiga and neo-geo to work?

ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

Thanks, this is making things clearer...
    I built my first pc from parts but I've lost the confidence a bit now... Or is it really dead simple to slot together? I would be going into it blind, same with navigating any OS issues and not sure if I would be able to do it with no help.
    Id need to buy a couple of controllers too I guess.

6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

It's literally a case of Put Pi in case, connect cables.

Format the Micro SD on your computer and then follow the instructions on RetroPie site to install their distro: First Installation - RetroPie Docs

You'll then need to alsocopy the ROMS to the SD card in the correct folder for the system.

I believe theres a public torrent on pirate bay of a huge collection of ROMS which is what I originally downloaded, pretty sure I deleted a lot of dud stuff from what I now have, especially Nintendo stuff, I haven't really flicked through the others. I will post the magnet link to the torrent later if you can't access pirate bay (I'm at work at the moment)

Yes, you'd need a couple of controllers too if you do the DIY route, again these can be picked up cheaply on Amazon.

ska invita likes this.
  7. ska invita

Tech can be bought cheaply enough without ever using amazon, but thanks a lot! I might give this a shot.... Going to sleep on it. Appreciate your posts