1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renegade Dogs Writing Contest

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by DotCommunist, Feb 1, 2010.

1. S☼I

S☼I more baffled by the basics, tbh

I'd write something - or try to - given a subject

2. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

If I can remember my login for the blog I will gladly enter something.

3. SpookyFrank

Well June is nearly over...so how about we aim for a July 31st deadline?

I think the old word limit for entries was 3000.

That just leaves a topic :hmm:

Greebo likes this.
  4. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

How about "boots"?

Off the cuff but fairly wide in scope...

Greebo likes this.
  5. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Sadly with Renegade Dog's passing, does anyone have access to the blog?

6. SpookyFrank

You and Dottie are both admins.

7. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Really?

Unfortunately, it's such a long time ago now that I'd completely forgotten and, again unfortunately, can't seem to access the inner workings of the blog at work right now.

Shall we think about a July contest/contribution/general writing jamboree?

frogwoman likes this.
  8. SpookyFrank

Sounds good to me, anyone else?

Free Honda civic for all entrants. Probably.

9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I'll give it a go, there is no way in hell I'll remember the password or the email registered for the OG blog though so if anyones on for it, speak up and I'll arse around setting up a new blog.

I've been like a withered twig that bears no fruit recently so it'd be an opportunity to get the sap back ito the veins. The lead into the pencil. ahem.

Greebo likes this.
  10. DotCommunist

at the end of bullseye when they tow away the yacht you could have won- far less traumatic with a Honda Civic. You'd be thinking 'well, at least I didn't end up driving that'

11. SpookyFrank

Twigs don't have veins dude.

12. DotCommunist

I ent having that

13. S☼I

yeah, DC get a new blog going, I'll write summat on boots. Limit of 3000 words for a short story, what about a poem?

14. DotCommunist

I propose we keep it open mike, just write as you like and we keep the table open for all that way. So poesy or prosey- either is fine I recon. I'll set up a new blog later and we can discuss amongst ourselves where we go after that. Gotta be worth a go. The days grow long and the animals grow fevered as the dust of summer madnes rimes our eyes the age-old prophets come to once more exhort us to task

etc

15. DotCommunist

I'll also share the log in dets with everyone so we don't end up with this blogless situation again

16. S☼I

job's a good 'un

17. SpookyFrank

OK it's July now, are we writing then? If so, where's the blog, what's the topic and what's the word limit if there is one? Someone please make a unilateral decision about all these things.

18. DotCommunist

sorry, I tried to set up a wordpress blog but it was all 'you already have a blog' and then I got angry and punched my screen. If you SpookyFrank would be so good as to set up a working blog we would be cooking with gas.

Or anyone else interested. When I tried it was just ballaching me. If we get a blog established and that we can get past the tedious admin and get some words on.

as for word limit, I think 3-4k would be reasonable, novella or short story length. Enter longer pieces if you like I spose. Lets not make it too rigid but recall that if its a vast tome, its not going to gett read probably.

what say you all?

Greebo likes this.
  19. SpookyFrank

I will see what I can do about the blog.

20. SpookyFrank

Right, our new blog is here.

This has been created using an email adress that's not linked to anyone or anything so to save undue hassle I suggest we just give anyone who wants to post anything the login details for the admin account and posters can simply put their name, u75 username, some witty pseudonym or no name at all on their entries as they see fit.

The username for the admin account is renegadedogs, the password can be obtained from me via PM.

DotCommunist Diamond and how do you tag people with silly symbols in their usernames?

E2a, got it: S☼I

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Buckaroo likes this.
  21. SpookyFrank

Of course if everyone is using the same login we'll all have to agree not to sabotage other people's work by pasting in lines of dialogue from Nicholas Cage movies or whatever :hmm:

22. DotCommunist

you are a gent spooky, I'll pm you as soon as this ridiculous heat lets me think straight for a minute

23. SpookyFrank

Anyone who can be bothered to make more of an effort with the design etc, by all means fill your boots.

24. dishevelled

dishevelled One scruffy bastard Banned

I might be interested if I knew what this is about. I shall read the thread from the beginning and take notes.

25. SpookyFrank

Are we having a topic or not then?

26. SpookyFrank

It's like the monthly photo contest but you write stuff down instad of taking pictures of it. Entries are posted on the blog discussed above and the entries voted upon at the end of the month. The author of the winning entry gets to pick the topic for next month.

I don't remember exactly how voting worked in the past but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The competition is named in honour of a legendary U75 poster and thouroughly nice bloke by the name of RenegadeDog, or 'Matt' as he was known out there in meatspace.

frogwoman likes this.
  27. dishevelled

dishevelled One scruffy bastard Banned

Well I've read seven pages: Someone chooses a topic... max 3000 words... min anything... dotc sets a closing date... thread gets bumped... a plethera of feeble excuses appear... closing date gets extended... nobody submits anything... people start writing poetry T S Elliot it seems... thread disappears for five years... the phoenix arises. How was that?

Greebo likes this.
  28. DotCommunist

I was just thinking keep it open to start with and see what comes later.

Greebo likes this.
  29. SpookyFrank

You missed the bit where a lot of people wrote a load of interesting stuff.

e2a: dishevelled

Greebo likes this.
  30. DotCommunist

feel free to jog on then bredrin

Greebo likes this.