removing musty smells from charity shop finds

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by killer b, Nov 2, 2011.

1. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

especially leather... any tips?

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Saddle soap.

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Mrs Magpie

My daughter worked in a charity shop for ages. She says the main cause is bacteria or mould. Febreze is pointless, airing is pointless. If it's not leather, wash or dry clean.

4. Jackobi

Jackobi swallows anything

Dubbing oil, the same stuff used on Doc Martens.

5. Mrs Magpie

Dubbin. It's a waterproofer, not a cleaner.

6. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

right, i have some of that. will do the jacket over the weekend.

i've a sheepskin coat which has a slightly unsavoury smell... bunged it through the wash last night but it's still a bit smelly. any thoughts? saddle soap won't work here i reckon...

7. Mrs Magpie

You may have to get it dry cleaned then...

8. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

9. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

fucks sake.

moose likes this.
  10. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

I've received a sheepskin/mouton coat ..it's from the 50's and beautiful..neat shoulders and fits perfectly.
    It is in great condition and looks immaculate.
    But....it smells musty. It has that vintage clothing smell.
    I've used fabreze on it and the wool is not as smelly,. I think the wool is fine...however the lining is as musty as ever.
    I'm at the stage where I think I might have to remove the lining completely.
    I've also tried spraying the lining with white vinegar....without much success.
    Next step is vodka....and air it for a week or two...
    I could wear it without a lining but I'd rather not.

Any ideas?
    Are there easier ways to demustify it?

11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

12. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Rub some faeces into it and I guarantee the smell of must will no longer trouble you.

Yossarian and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  13. bubblesmcgrath

Ha ha

No

:D

pogofish likes this.
  14. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Bubbles - I'm no expert on these matters but in the absence of any better suggestions I reckon it might be worth you buying a 100ml bottle of peppermint oil and pouring about half of it in a bowl then leaving the bowl at the base of the wardrobe in which you keep the coat. I started doing this in my wardrobe about a year ago, primarily to ward off moths, but it gives my clothes a barely noticeable and not unpleasant minty smell too. Haven't seen any moths for ages either.

15. bubblesmcgrath

That sounds like a good plan. I will give that a go. I think I have some peppermint oil.
    It's my mother's coat...I really would like to keep it so I hope the smell dissipates soon. Thanks again :)

Casual Observer likes this.
  16. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

Wouldn't recommend this on leather but would try this on a small area of sheepskin, sodium bicarbonate, sprinkled in and left at least twelve hours before shaking or vacuuming out. If it doesn't do any harm then repeat with the rest of it. Garment will need to be dry.

kittyP and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  17. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Wood Smoke! Will kill bugs/mold and leave a lovely smell

geminisnake and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

:hmm: Why not just get it professionally cleaned? It's cost nothing so invest a few quid in it.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  19. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

I had a nice orange blazer from the charity shop which had a bit of an armpit aroma going on,had it dry cleaned but still the aroma persisted. Some smells like to linger.

20. bubblesmcgrath

The dry cleaners said they couldnt guarantee it would be a success...apparently sheepskin can be damaged in the process by the chemicals they use.
    They also said they wouldnt risk taking in anything that could have mould in it...

I read that putting it in the freezer could kill mildew/mould so that might be the next step.

Eta...there are no marks on it anywhere...the lining looks perfect...no marks no mould or mildew that I can see... but the musty smell is strong.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Spymaster likes this.
  21. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Wipe leather down with diluted rubbing alcohol. Test out a small area first.

22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I reckon this is your best bet bubblesmcgrath and maybe the peppermint thing too

23. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Hang it on a line outside on a breezy day, leave out all day.

That is my contribution :)

24. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I'd try freezing it if you can other than that I'd go with a bonfire for the woodsmoke as suggested already :D

bubblesmcgrath and kittyP like this.
  25. bubblesmcgrath

Well...I hung it out in the garage for 3 days with the windows open...it aired out a bit but lining still was ugh.
    I decided to bag it up and put it in the freezer...not realising that the shelves dont come out of the freezer and indeed are integral to the freezer working. So that was a no go.

For the past 2 days I've put it in a bag with coffee grounds in the pockets and in paper bags tied around the neck and cuffs.
    It seems to be working.
    The fur smells of nothing but coffee...and the lining is starting to not smell musty anymore.
    I'll give it another week in that...and then air it out again.

Thanks for all the suggestions...and I may yet need them...:)

26. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

You could also try putting it in the sun for a while. Mold hates sunlight.

Or, you could bury in (clean) kitty litter.

27. bubblesmcgrath

Well ...10 days on and it's definitely a lot better. Coffee grounds have helped so much. The only bit that smells a bit musty now is the bottom hemline of the coat so I've opened the lining and put envelopes of coffee grounds down into the lining.
    I also left it in sunlight....then in a dry cold place...and now it's hanging in the utility room.
    Everyone who comes in now thinks I've made a mug of really strong coffee. :D

Yuwipi Woman and fishfinger like this.