Religions and cults on the streets of Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 15, 2014.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

2. editor

editor hiraethified

3. editor

editor hiraethified

4. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

They've been pitching up at waterloo lately

5. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

I must admit I'm sometimes tempted to throw the horns and a "Hail Satan" when passing these types.

editor likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

a simple jesus died for his sins not mine often does the trick.

the problem with satanism is that it presupposes the existence of an xian god

tim and Badgers like this.
  7. Pickman's model

[​IMG]
    you'd expect them to break into a chorus of ymca

Argonia, Badgers, tim and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

Gramsci and Pickman's model like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Badgers and Gramsci like this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

12. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

One hopes that the Hebrew Israelites - whether in Windrush Square or anywhere else in London - can assist on this ...

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Sorry no pictures, but the Catholics from Our Lady of the Rosary (Brixton Road, opposite Max Roach Park) were out this afternoon on Windrush Square.

It looked like a bit of a South American family outing. The leader/celebrant on a podium, approached by carpets. There were Catholic-style banners as backing, including a Virgin Mary banner and a brass crucifix suitable for processions. The people (and kids) were dancing to music and singing with tambourines.

I passed by near the end of the event, and nobody seemed to be attempting any conversions. They did hand out some flyers though and it seems this will be repeated every Sunday 3 pm - 5 pm until 2nd June.

Wikipedia indicates that outdoor celebrations of the Virgin Mary in May are a Catholic tradition, though not necessarily that old. Noted in Verona in 1739 and popularised by the Jesuits from about 1800 in Catholic parts of Europe.

15. editor

editor hiraethified

16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

I find they’re generally easy to ignore as I mostly encounter them in passing. Apart from the guy who got on the same carriage as me the other week and then started singing holy praise! No escape from that. My polite request for him to wind his neck in was simply ignored.

17. Pickman's model

In situations like this start singing another song, eg yellow submarine, and you'll find the pest will soon cease

18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

But then I’d be the annoying dick rather than he.

19. Pickman's model

Then you'd stop as the pest does, problem solved

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  20. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

It’s something I’d perhaps do after being on the sauce. However, this was like the 6am commute where everyone is still half asleep and the last thing you need is al fresco entertainment.

21. Pickman's model

You'll just have to put up with the disturbance then

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Apologies for geographical inexactitute, but I saw manifestation of the Twelve Tribes of Israel this afternoon at Camberwell Green. Good choice from their point of view, as the street there amplifies their rhetoric well. There were about 12 of them (appropriately) outside Santander, and opposite Butterfly Walk.

The belief of this curious group is that slavery is type of original sin, brought on by ancestral misdemeanours in the time of Abraham.

Today however they were also majoring on the evils of homosexuality and gay marriage. Which seemed a bit incongruous as they has fetching multi-coloured patterned smocks. Extremely camp. Almost tempting to say "Methinks the lady doth protest too much!"

Maybe the Twelve Tribes need a support group for those on the Down-Low?

24. ash

ash Inittogether

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

I saw them too. The evil fucked-up bigoted cunts.

26. editor

editor hiraethified

27. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

28. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Anyone know who the preachers were by the town hall this weekend? Saturday, standing opposite Traid, filming themselves. Group of young black guys- don’t think anyone was over 30?- burning incense and wearing a mixture of red robes with gold edging and green robes, but sort of mixed up with black streetwear?
    Burning a lot of incense.

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Seems to me you must be a Lutheran. Luther decreed that the Epistle of James was an epistle of straw.

"In his book Basic Theology, Charles Caldwell Ryrie countered the claim that Luther rejected the Book of James as being non-canonical.[13] In his preface to the New Testament, Luther ascribed to several books of the New Testament different degrees of doctrinal value:

"St. John's Gospel and his first Epistle, St. Paul's Epistles, especially those to the Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, and St. Peter's Epistle-these are the books which show to thee Christ, and teach everything that is necessary and blessed for thee to know, even if you were never to see or hear any other book of doctrine. Therefore, St. James' Epistle is a perfect straw-epistle compared with them, for it has in it nothing of an evangelic kind."[14]
    (Wikipedia)

30. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

From your description of the general atire sound probable these were members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. See Brixton Buzz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brixton 1 – Twelve Tribes of Israel 0. Homophobic street preachers forced out of Windrush Square