Religions and cults on the streets of Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 15, 2014.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

There's been highly enthusiastic religious types bellowing their messages on the streets of Brixton for years - I've just put together a short feature here: The street preachers and religious cults of central Brixton, 2000-2014

I know they've been mentioned in various threads on these boards over the years (I've looked!) but I thought it might be an idea to list the new ones and remember the old ones here.

[​IMG]

This fella was harassing folks on Saturday.

[​IMG]

And this cult has made an increasing presence outside the tube.

[​IMG]

More here: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/04/...religious-cults-of-central-brixton-2000-2014/

MadeInBedlam, gabi, Manter and 2 others like this.
  2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Great article, I wonder does Brixton attract a disproportionate number of cults, compared to other parts of London?

editor likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

it's because it's an area of thinness between this world and the rest of the multiverse. therefore loony sects and cults are drawn to it like water to a plughole.

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Those Hubbard hawking Dianetics lot are proper odd. I used to see them doing their 'stress tests' outside Shepherds Bush station every week.

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  5. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

Yeah, good article.

6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Interesting.

I always wondered who Phil Howard was - - and not just his name which I now know but more what he did when he wasn't outside the tube...

7. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

Poverty and that's changing; the cults will disappear along with the poor. I'm not sure Brixton does attract more cults than other areas.

krtek a houby likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

9. Dexter Deadwood

I met him in the market, top of Popes Road, late last year. He was just going about his business megaphone free. I gently teased him about it and he retorted with good humour, that others were on duty and that God had the loudest voice of all but people had to want to hear it. Nice chap

Onket likes this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

It always seems a bit funny when he's not 'in character' - but he is, as you say, a nice chap.

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  11. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Dexter Deadwood and editor like this.
  12. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Whenever I'm in the area it seems quite well-stocked with those of a salvational disposition.

It's odd - I actually quite like Brixton. They should recruit in Dagenham.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Happily, I haven't seen the foghorn-esque middle aged Irish woman who patrolled the patch by H&M making a terrible racket for a while.

14. 8ball

We used to have a chap in Nottingham who loudly claimed eating protein led to lust and bad language was responsible for most illnesses.

15. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

There's a host of lively & godly music acts that have 'entertained' Brixton on the corner @ KFC. A natural performance space. Perhaps that wasn't the point of the article. It's the busyness of it all that attracts them. I really swore at some wanna be preacher once there when he was obviously being (massively) homophobic. He was saying it in God's name where everything is permitted as Žižek rightly pointed out.

16. Sirena

I may have been in part responsible for Phil Howard leaving Brixton. He would mostly set up in Tunstall Road (very close to where I work) and I tolerated him for years and even grew to think of him as a 'character'.

But one morning, he was going on about how it didn't matter how good and kind and considerate you were, if you weren't reborn in Jesus Christ, you were damned forever and would burn in hell.

Now, there is a metaphysical rationale, which runs across many spiritual traditions, of which this is a corruption and, in another place with another person, I might have engaged in spirited and good-natured discussion on his matter. But this morning, it just got me wrong and I launched my face into his and shrieked at him every vile name under the sun! :eek: He didn't turn up next day and I never saw him again after that.......:):(

It was about this time of my life when, on another occasion, I harangued a preacher out of my tube carriage using the same sort of technique....

17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

There was one today I haven't seen before who was stopping people to tell them God loved them, then moving on. One of the nicer forms of religious lunacy.

Great article editor

muscovyduck and editor like this.
  18. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills Well-Known Member

Great to capture the various loons in picture as well.

I haven't seen the Final Call sellers around for over a decade now. They use to do all their posing and fake intimidation outside Red Records.

19. 8ball

I wonder if this 'Dianetics' branding is an attempt to escape the attention of Anonymous and similar...

20. 8ball

Fantastic pics, btw. :)

I'm sad to have missed the bontempi organ/bagpipes band.

21. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Those people are parasites!
    Best avoided, no, best persecuted!

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  22. Sirena

The Nation of Islam people have a shop (or share in a shop) under the Brixton Rec called 'All Eyes On Egipt' so they do most of their evangelising in and around there.

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  23. Dexter Deadwood

That Maoist Sect ought to be included but they kept it in house for thirty years. Agree with Sirena Nation of Islam ought to be included, certainly the best dressed of the bunch.

24. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

‘Dianetics’ is well-known as a Hubbard invention predating (and the basis for) ‘Scientology’.

weltweit likes this.
  25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I sometimes feel bad for wanting to round them ALL up and put them in camps.

gentlegreen and Manter like this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

This lot were in Brixton to 'teach nationalism according to the bible'.

27. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's another;

More nutty stuff:

28. editor

editor hiraethified

I remember this lot causing a kerfuffle but it this 16-part video (wha'?!) they're being largely ignored.

They're getting well dodgy here with some weird beef about Sri Lanka.

29. editor

editor hiraethified

This is more like it (I've not listened to the lyrics, mind)

30. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Scum ...