1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

releases you're looking forward to (& have looked fwd to)

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Dec 30, 2010.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Since we're likely going to have to keep waiting for a new D album, this isnt bad at all to fill the gap - brand new

José James – No Beginning No End (Blue Note)
    [​IMG]

The US vocalist has carved something of a niche for himself over the past five years with his previous three long-players, displaying a talent that effortlessly straddles the middle ground between traditional jazz, R&B and electronic soul. On this, his fourth album and debut for the legendary Blue Note Records, José James is again in rude form, bringing his smokey vocals to the fore alongside a heavyweight lineup featuring Robert Glasper, Pino Palladino, Chris Dave, Richard Spaven and Emily King.

Musically, there’s more than a passing resemblance to D’Angelo’s neo soul classic ‘Voodoo’ – a fact we presume can be traced back to co-producer Palladino’s original involvement in the ‘Voodoo’ recording sessions and James’ deep love for the ground breaking album itself. This soulful sensibility underpins much of the album’s mood, producing both delicate moments (‘Bird of Space’) and more robust standouts such as with James’ two duets (with King and Hindi Zahra) and the Glasper assisted ‘Vanguard’. Preview the opening track ‘It’s All Over Your Body’ below.
    https://soundcloud.com/josejamesworldwide/its-all-over-your-body

stavros likes this.
  2. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Colin Stetson - New history warfare Vol 3: to see more light. Due end of april.

3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

4. ska invita

March 2013....

RaverDrew likes this.
  5. stavros

Thanks for the tip on this, Ska. I downloaded one of the tracks and you're right, it does have a nice D'Angelo swing to it.

ska invita likes this.
  6. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Released today - just ordered the CD:) They are on tour atm - playing in London on April 3rd I think

Sweet FA likes this.
  8. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

It's more than a double album - it clocks in at just over 2hrs! :eek: Excess would've been a more appropriate title.

9. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

new Wire on March 25th - Change Becomes Us.

10. stavros

There's a new Matmos out, which I'll have to track down.

11. belboid

12. stavros

Ooh goodie. Not a bad turn around - under 18 months - even it if is the ever-prolific Mr Smith.

:cool:

13. stavros

Have you heard it yet? I got it yesterday and it's a beautiful continuation of Oversteps.

14. Dr. Furface

I haven't managed to work my way through all of it yet! But so far so good.

15. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

16. Flipp

Flipp Magical Sounds

New Banco De Gaia album next month - First one for 6 years!!

Astralasia just released a digital EP for £1.79, 4 tracks, including a remix of Riders on the Storm and I Feel Love by Donna Summer.. I love it!!!

17. belboid

Laura Marling - I Wish I Was An Eagle (has she been listening to Bill Callahan?) out on May 27th

18. Dr. Furface

Since you mention him, there's a dvd coming out later this year called 'Apocalypse: A Bill Callahan Tour Film'

19. redsquirrel

Umm, interesting. Got any extra info is the title track a cover?

20. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

The Sundays next album.

21. redsquirrel

New Crime & The City Solution out on the 25th March.
    Sadly there's no Rowland S. Howard, obviously, but the new single sounds pretty good

22. belboid

23. stavros

Steve Mason (Beta Band, King Biscuit Time) has a new one out, which one review I saw of described it as his best post-Beta work.

24. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

I'm really hoping that the Earl Sweatshirt album is as good as I believe it can be. The new single "Whoa" is only half-decent but its predecessor "Chum" is only of the most poetic and contemplative hip-hop tracks I've ever heard. A lot has been made of his potential but it seems that he is no fan of the limelight or the bullshit around the hip-hop business. We'll have to hope he gets the time and space he needs to be a great artist.

mwgdrwg and billy_bob like this.
  25. belboid

Sigur Ros - Kveikur out on June 17th

26. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

After Burning Blue Soul, Soul Mining and Infected, I was massively wound up about buying The The's 'mind bomb'.
    I made a trip to Bath to buy it on the day of release. I bought two copies and a cassette, because I was sure it would be awesome.
    I took it home, put it only and laid down on my bed waiting for the awesomeness to wash over me.

. . . it never did. Every single song was utter shit.

27. ska invita

This looks great:

Acid - Mysterons Invade The Jackin 'Zone Chicago Acid and Experimental House
    [​IMG]

New on Soul Jazz Records!

Over 2 hours of Chicago's finest full-length, full-strength, newly digitally remastered 12"original heavyweight Chicago classic and rare acid house plus Mysterons Invade the Jackin' Zone graphic novel plus collectors postcard set plus stickers all housed in deluxe hard-boxed card 2CD-pack!

Two volumes of super-loud supreme audiophile 180gm double-vinyl housed in deluxe gatefold sleeves and polyethylene inners, complete with full graphic novel inside, contains complete full-length 12" original fully-remastered heavyweight Chicago acid at its loudest and best.

There is also an WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE download of the album ONLY available from this site.

Heavyweight legendary acid house music figureheads such as Larry Heard, Phuture (DJ Pierre, Spanky), Armando, Marshall Jefferson, K-Alexi, Farley 'Jackmaster' Funk and more all feature in Soul Jazz Records' new highly stylised album compilation of classic and rare Chicago acid and experimental house music from 1986-93.

The story of Chicago house music is told in the accompanying science-fiction graphic novel that comes encased. Mysteron alien sound lords prepare to enter Chi-Town (Chicago), as the acid melodies of Phuture, Mr Fingers and the city's other music futurists open the portals of the windy city to the Uberite invasion. How will this raving insanity end?

With this album, Soul Jazz Records return to Chicago's acid house music scene, following on from their earlier 'Acid-Can You Jack?' which has also been newly remastered and is being reissued next month.

Pre-Order Acid-Can You Jack? here.
    [​IMG]

Graphic novelist Paolo Parisi is the author of the book Coltrane (published by Jonathan Cape) as well as the first graphic novel which accompanied Invasion of the Mysteron Killers (compiled by Kevin Martin/The Bug on Soul Jazz Records
    http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=31169

28. stavros

29. belboid

Fuck Buttons to release third album 'Slow Focus' on 22nd July 2013, seem to only be playing festies tho

30. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Looking forward to this, although the first was better than the second I thought.

The Southern Tenant Folk Union album's sounding pretty good.

Can those just posting a name add a bit of detail for those of us chronically out of the loop please? Unless its someone pretty well known of course. I'm trying to use this thread to discover new stuff I might like. Thanks!