Reigate Caves 2019 open days announced

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 8, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Anyone seen these? I'm intrigued!

[​IMG]

Reigate Caves 2019 open days announced

Celyn, dessiato and hash tag like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag never too old

New ones to me. I believe there are caves under Epsom and Godstone also but I don't think the public can visit them.

3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Not been to the Reigate ones but I can heartily recommend the tour of the Dorking caves. Fascinating stuff.

Dan U and hash tag like this.
  4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

yes, been in a couple of times, all the more interesting as they are man made, rather than natural.

can also recommend a beer at Pilgrim - Homepage down the road if you make the trip (few other decent pubs in town too)

Bahnhof Strasse and hash tag like this.
  5. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

I'd only been in Barons cave until recently. Then one day we were walking past and the tunnel cave was open. It's more interesting imo, it was used as an air raid shelter in WW2 and it's pretty big. It also includes a room which has literally thousands upon thousands of empty wine bottles for some reason.

I would say if you're going to make a trip down, if you like your history while you're there take a walk up Reigate Hill and go to the fort Reigate Fort

dessiato likes this.
  6. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

used to be a wine store at one point iirc. And Pilgrim Brewery have been using the caves to barrel age some stout in keeping with a previous brewing heritage.

The Fort is definitely worth a visit, and the walk round Gatton Park is good too. Used to take my youngest to Forest School there one morning a week. Decent walk up though :D

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been in, its fairly interesting.

They're ex sand mines, with some interesting aspects to them, used as air raid shelters, then used to dump glass bottles in from the local pubs (apparently there used to be a late night venue in one back in the day). There was also a bank robbery attempt launched from them, and now it's used as a shooting club.

The open days are operated by wealden cave and mine society, and I believe its only £3-5 to go in...... If other urbs are going to any open days I may come and tag along as its only down the road from me and I've still not been in Barons cave. There's the remains of an old castle which you can do as a little additional thing (although its not much more than 30 mins entertainment), plus there's the fort up on Reigate hill.

My photos of the caves - Reigate Caves Tour June 2016

8. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Don't think there is actually, there's half a wall but it's more like a homage built later than the remains of the actual thing. Still it's nice to walk round the castle grounds, and Priory park.

sim667 likes this.
  9. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I stand corrected.

I mainly just used to smoke weed there tbh.

10. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Dorking caves is having an open day on 30 March

Www.dorkingmuseum.org.uk/south-street-caves

It looks like they have a number of tour starting times on that date (and some others). You can make group bookings too for other times.

That web page is also worth a visit for the backdrop they’ve managed to photo Prince Edward in front of.