Refugee crisis. Something on the scale of the Marshall plan required?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by teqniq, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Pickled Egg

Pickman's model, frogwoman and NoXion like this.
  2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Beyond fucking grim - warning graphic images

Nine Somalis dumped in Egyptian sea after kidnapped and organs removed by traffickers in Egypt

frogwoman likes this.
  4. gosub

gosub ~#

5. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I have a feeling that this is more about keeping Turkey sweet over the shabby refugee deal that the EU has negotiated with them.

Angela Merkel accepts Turkish request to seek prosecution of German comedian

6. gosub

gosub ~#

seventh bullet and teqniq like this.
  7. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Wow I see what you mean.

8. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

That's not satire. That's just provocation so he can wrap himself in the coat of free speech. I bet he wants his day in court.

9. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

10. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Reports are increasingly suggesting that the refugee/migrant detention centres on the Greek islands are horrific - both in their purpose (arbitary detention before deporting people back to their countries of origin or Turkey) but also in the under-resourced, inhumane conditions people are being kept in. Doctors Without Borders have withdrawn from the camp they had been working in prior to the EU-Turkey deal, as their "assistance is going to be instrumentalised to allow for a mass expulsion operation" if they continue to work in the camp which was already "substandard" and now offers "insufficient guarantees for the respect of people's basic rights". UNHCR has also suspended much of its work in the camps that have become detention centres for similar reasons, as have Save the Children. Local authorities in the areas of some of the camps are opposed to them being used for detention. The fences and police/army presence keep many local solidarity efforts out.

Human Rights Watch, Doctors Without Borders, and Amnesty International have released reports seriously criticising conditions in the camp. There is almost no access to legal advice or support and in some cases basic information in the camps, the Greek asylum system is overwhelmed, and there is inadeqate or lack of beds, blankets, shelter in some camps and outdoor space in others, interpretation, medical care, and even food. Sanitation is in some cases poor. There have been reports of mistreatment, fighting and inadeqate security, safety, and safeguarding of children and vulnerable people, and there is overcrowding in may of the camps. Amnesty call the camps "dire", and say "A set up that is so flawed, rushed, and ill prepared is ripe for mistakes, trampling the rights and well-being of the most vulnerable people". They are particularly concerned about the treatment and lack of basic services for vulnerable people including victims of torture, pregnant women, babies and their mothers, small children, sick and disabled people. Human Rights Watch say conditions are "wretched". Yesterday I saw in the Guardian that refugees in one of the detention centres are saying that babies under 6 months whose mothers couldn't breastfeed (and obviously there is no breastfeeding support available) aren't being given only a quarter of the milk they need.

Its all sickening.

frogwoman likes this.
  11. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

12. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

13. campanula

campanula diminished responsibilty

cancelled my membership after Zeichner's (Cambridge, Labour, ffs)vote.

14. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Dubs amendment mark 2 just passed by lords. please tweet, email, and sign petition. Massive amounts of noise and pressure till it goes back to the comms may (may!) make a difference.

15. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

He voted for the amendment?

16. campanula

according to the Independent, Manter - I was a tad shocked.

17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

But voting for is good. For is voting to save 3,000 children....?

18. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Back to commons probably in Tuesday. So please tweet, write, email, stand outside offices..... There is even a stamp at the moment with Sir Nicholas Winton on it- saved by Kindertransport.

19. campanula

Um, I was sure it was in the 'list of shame' in the Independent...but I have been a bit deranged for one reason and another...so it is entirely feasible that I completely misunderstood. Unfortunately, I also fired off a furiously demented e.mail (to Labour Party)and have avoided opening the replies...especially since it is highly likely I will have to grovel for being an arse.
    Anyway, will direct some rage towards the known perps.

20. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

21. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

22. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

23. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I was previously unaware of this, the EU is apparently throwing lots of money at Sudan in an effort to curtail the flow of refugees, however:

Why the EU migration deal with Sudan is so dodgy

24. Idris2002

Idris2002 perkins saved by moscow gold

25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Indeed it does. :(

26. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

27. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  28. teqniq