1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rees Mogg mobbed.

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Red Sky, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

2. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Crap protest. Noone gave him a slap. 1/10. Must try harder.

Riklet, Signal 11, mojo pixy and 4 others like this.
  3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

people go to meeting, stand at back and heckle
    speaker goes to back and confronts them
    audience members join him
    pushing and shoving ensues.

all takes place at a university. I'm not sure looking for a point in anything student related is particularly worthwhile, but frankly RM should have dealt with hecklers in the time honoured fashion- wit, sarcasm, sneering- rather than storming off stage to get in their faces and invite physical confrontation.

He's a canny politician, that one.

4. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I spent half my time at university heckling (and occasionally storming the stage etc) politicians and industry leaders when they were doing guest lectures. Utterly pointless, looking back. But a time honoured tradition of student politics, and one he should know how to deal with. And arseholes tories up for a physical fight (at my uni mostly very wealthy agriculture students) is also a feature of student politics which he shouldn't have wound up by going to the back. He well knows it, which is why he's now saying the protesters weren't physically threatening etc. But its got him looking less like the stereotype that people think he embodies, so its all done him well.

Angela Rayner's and Jo Swinson's kneejerk reactions - and the fact that they haven't retracted them despite what Rees-Mog and various people who were actually there has said - is disgusting, but predictable.

5. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Cunt is heckled. That is the point. People like him should not be able to travel and spread their vile views unimpeded.

6. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Looking at the video, there's a red-faced, thick-necked, short-haired guy in a white shirt who seems to actually initiate the physical stuff with the kids in hoodies.

Wonder who he was affiliated with?

ska invita, editor and Badgers like this.
  7. bimble

bimble noisy but small

There's a conspiracy theory on twitter that the white shirted guy was a mogg-plant.

felixthecat, ruffneck23 and Badgers like this.
  8. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

or in technical parlance, a moggy

Dragnet likes this.
  10. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

The bloke in the white shirt started the physical stuff. Also, someone seems to have punched the girl (can't quite see it from the video but she seems to have been hit in the face).

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Beatlemania all over again!

12. Sea Star

Sea Star I got eyes in my backside

*waits for someone to blame it on a trans woman*

13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Oh ffs

Anyway, UWE - the shit one.

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The decline of the bristol mob.

I blame momentum.

15. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

She says it was the white shirted guy on her Twitter (which I read this morning but can’t find now).

16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Only you have brought trans into it thus far.

17. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Probably not their finest hour but this was hardly the most critical occasion.

18. Pickman's model

don't needle ss

Badgers and Magnus McGinty like this.
  19. Pickman's model

nothing like the auld days

[​IMG]

20. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Hark at the arch-needler! :D

tim and Pickman's model like this.
  21. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I blame Putin, because everyone else will if Moggy becomes Prime minister and I want to be at the front of the queue for once.

MOGGY MOGGY MOGGY OUT OUT OUT!

22. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

The man who plays Jacob Rees-Mogg was marvellous though. He never slips out of character, does he? In my opinion his method acting skills are very much on a par with the man who plays Boris Johnson.

23. tim

tim Well-Known Member

His father William Rees Moggy was an absurd shot too

Soothing tedium of the Mogadon memoirs

24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I blame mogmentum.

25. gosub

gosub ~#

That's almost a tacit admission this sort of shit is actually good for Rees Moog. If this is 'antifash' then I'm reminded of the bit in Animal Farm where you can't tell the difference between the pigs and the humans

Edited coz of wrong quote (was only half paying attention due to being pleasantly surprised by Wales)

Badgers likes this.
  26. Pickman's model

i would be surprised if it was anti-fascists as they tend not to go for tory mps.

Sunset Tree and Badgers like this.
  27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

30. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That’s the tweet I read. He doesn’t look much like a student tbh.

I don’t think this is a particularly important incident tbh except as an example of how you can have protestors attacked by the audience, Rees-Mogg himself saying the protestors weren’t violent and didn’t push him, numerous videos showing what happened, and still the story is “antifa no-platformers try to suppress free speech with violence”.