Help Redundant work windows laptops with a login screen - reformatting?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by oddworld, Jul 6, 2018.

1. oddworld

oddworld building a lego house

My other half has some old redundant laptops from his previous job that he has been told he can keep. We can't bypass the login screen as they are still formatted for work use.

They are Dells running Windows 7, we've tried to enter the bios and were thinking of re-intalling windows so that my step son can use one for school and homework. We cant bypass the login screen or login as a guest. When we try to reformat it keeps asking for an encryption key which we dont have and as the company he worked for dosnt exsist anymore we cant get.

Are they useless to us or can we reformat them?! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You need to replace the hard drive.

3. oddworld

Is that exspensive?

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

you need to wipe the bootloader, which will remove the encryption bootloader usually.

Need more information really on when you say login screen, do you mean the actual windows login screen, or a bespoke encryption software login on boot before you get to the actual operating system?

Anyhoot, create windows boot media from another PC: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Boot from Windows installation media, choose the tools option and launch the command prompt and follow the instructions on this page from the bit that says 'This is the Command Prompt window'. ENsure you select the bigger disk (as I'm assuming it will be bigger than the USB drive you install windows from if you booted from USB, otherwise if you boot from DVD the hard disk will be the only drive listed)

It will totally wipe the drive.

How to Diskpart Erase/Clean a Drive Through the Command Prompt | Seagate Support

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    B.I.G likes this.
  5. oddworld

Its the login screen from his old work , so you put in your username and password to get to your desktop. Its tailored to his old company if that makes sense! lol I'm a bit rubbish explaining it :D

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You could buy a ssd hard drive for around £100 or you might be able to pick up any old one for free.

But cybershot seems to know what they are talking about. So follow his instructions and see where that takes you.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018