Records that people rave about that are actually shit

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Sep 22, 2014.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Chronic 2001, pavement and aphex twin are all incorrect answers... Sonic youth daydream nation is a correct answer (except the song teenage riot, including lyrics, is great).

2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

How about DJ Shadow endtroducing? I tried so hard to like it for a while but it is so depressing.

3. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

For artists, I humbly propose Prince and John Coltrane.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

No.

5. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I think that's magnificent.

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Ruta is trying to be edgy, cut the man some slack.

7. Favelado

Libertines were shit. What was it? Up The Bracket?

campanula likes this.
  8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yes... They had that one song, but it was pretty bad otherwise.

9. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Are you suggesting I secretly like all those things, and am pretending to find them dull as a pose? Because I assure you I really truly do find it/them dull.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's Just My Opinion though, if I need to add that to every post.

mojo pixy and Favelado like this.
  11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

You know what an underrated sonic youth LP is tho? New York city ghosts and flowers. I assumed all their stuff after about 1994 was terrible, but checked out some recently and that is actually one of my favourites now

12. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

I tend to think the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays are massively overrated... they each did a few excellent tracks, but that's about it.

pinkmonkey likes this.
  13. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

The Stone Roses could at least play their instruments...
    Happy Mondays were so rubbish they had to have an e'd up clown on stage to make the show work at all.

14. Favelado

Bollocks. The Can-influenced Bummed is musically tight and they could play live.

Yossarian likes this.
  15. mojo pixy

I keep losing track of whether this thread is serious or joking.

16. GreatGutsby

GreatGutsby Banned Banned

Any Oasis album or single

17. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

Radiohead.....yes I can take one album of introspective misery-onanism perhaps but after that they were loaded! My next album would have sounded like Black Lace meets the Cheeky girls, or at least a good choon you could whistle.

I mean really! They should have cheered up a bit with all that dosh, had a party and kicked back, but ohh noes more gloom laden wailing and biddly boop shite.

18. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

Any album by Frank Zappa.

danski and Kaka Tim like this.
  19. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Apart from the first half of Sheik Yerbouti. That's actually quite listenable

20. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ohh good call. The stone roses in particular.

21. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Primal Scream. It's just a wasted bloke as far as I'm concerned and some samples and posturing. Don't understand why folk still rave about them. Are they confabulating/confusing them with a really good pill they had in 1990? And I can't believe we haven't had the sex pistols mentioned on this thread.

22. mojo pixy

Not to mention the Rolling Stones, one of the few bands you actually get stupider from listening to.

albionism likes this.
  23. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I reckon primal scream are rated about right in general.... The only record of theirs that gets raved about is screamadelica isn't it? And that is pretty good.

krtek a houby likes this.
  24. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I don't think the sex pistols album is overrated either. Well maybe by 30%, but it's Def not shit.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  25. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

so not shit. wankers maybe, bloated and living off past glory for decades for sure - but not shit. hugely influential, massively important, helped pretty much invent - for better or worse - what rock music is/was. And from about 1965 to 1972 they wrote dozens of absolutely belting songs - you may not like them, but you cant just call them shit.

this clip is a million miles from shit - its electric - must have been utterly mindblowing in 1965.

Winot and krtek a houby like this.
  26. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Too much for his mirror, obvs...

And is it just me, or has this thread turned into 'records that some people like but which I don't'?

Spod and mojo pixy like this.
  27. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Sleaford Mods. They had that one single that was pretty good but the rest of it is repetitive.

28. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

Nah. Screamadelica is a bit shit isn't it?

Velocity Girl was a neat little track from their early days. But Primal Scream were always overrated.

pinkmonkey likes this.
  29. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

I still listen to both regularly. And it's not even my style of music.

So imo underrated if anything.

30. mojo pixy

I never said they were shit. They're actually pretty good - at making listeners more stupid.

Plus like Elvis, ripping off black musicians right and left. They'd never get away with it now.