Recommend me some walking boots

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Maggot, Feb 21, 2011.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Tried a pair of them on a few years back. They're nice. But a casual shoe for wearing around town, not for walking.

2. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Yeah I wondered whether they'd take being treated badly. There's a bloke selling a pair in my size on Ebay atm though nonetheless. :hmm:

3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Five Ten Camp Fours or insights are good tough trainers.

[​IMG]

Voley likes this.
  4. Voley

I'd never heard of them before. They look the part. I'm just going to have to be very poor for the whole winter aren't I? At least walking's a cheap hobby once you've got the kit. That's me justifying spending another eighty quid to myself in case you hadn't noticed. :facepalm:

5. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I got a pair of Merrell Chameleon, they are comfortable and are just wearing out now after walking about 2000 miles in them, so would definitely recommend them.

[​IMG]

Voley, Greebo and farmerbarleymow like this.
  6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I have a few pairs of Merrell walking shoes, mainly to just wear out and about wherever I am rather than specific walking in the country - dead comfy, and as you say, last a long time. :)

Greebo likes this.
  7. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I've got a very similar pair of Scarpa boots, although they don't have the suede bit as they are completely leather. So theoretically I could go paddling in them and not get my feet wet. I've had them for about three years and they are far and away the most comfortable walking boots I've ever had - incredibly supportive and comfy. Heavy mind, as they are built to cope with walking on ice, so weigh almost 1kg each boot. If you want to build up your shin muscles wear these every day for a few weeks and you'll see the difference. :)

I paid around £170 for them at the time I think. Worth every penny. :)

Voley and Greebo like this.
  8. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I'm off to try a pair of them on in go-outdoors in a bit and if they fit I'm having a pair:cool: My winter boots have just made the transition to allotment and my crampons have been in the bag since the big freeze of 67:hmm:

Voley likes this.
  9. Voley

I had a pair of Merrell trainers that didn't last very long that's put me off them a bit. Only walked around in them normally, too, certainly didn't run in them - perish the thought - or anything stupid like that. If the walking shoes are a bit sturdier I'll bear them in mind. They tend to be a bit more affordable than some of the other stuff I've been looking at.

Maggot likes this.
  10. Voley

Yeah just seen Rock+Run are doing a Grivel Rucksack for £26 in their sale atm. If it wasn't bright red, I'd probably go for it. I know if you're climbing it's a good thing to stand out but one of the reasons I go walking is to get the fuck away from everyone so something that's practically dayglo isn't ideal for anti-social sods like myself. :D Will keep an eye on that site though; all my rucksacks are cheap, do the job but you just know they won't last. Apart from a French ex-army one I've got that'll probably last forever as it's so uncomfortable I never use it.

11. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Fwiw I've had pretty poor experiences with Merrells. None have lasted. One pair didn't make it through the Summer. Again, just walking around town etc. I wouldn't want to do anything more technical in their stuff anyway but ime they've not even been great for that.

The 5.10s are a great looking shoe, but afaik approach shoes (at least good ones) are designed to be good for scrambling/easy climbing as well as good for the walk to the crag, so would they be as comfy for just walking as a shoe that doesn't need to cope with edging/foot jamming etc.?

As always really depends on your planned usage.

12. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Thanks for the heads up. I went and tried them for size in Go-outdoors and have just ordered a pair from rock and run. Lovely boot for that price:cool:.So much so that I got a pair for an old mate from this place ;) ;)

Been waiting for a boot bargain like this for the last 12 months :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  13. UnderAnOpenSky

They should give me commission! :D

friedaweed and Voley like this.
  14. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

We've had 5.10s so here are my 5.11s. The first ones might satisfy your needs, voley. They're comfortable, hardwearing and bombproof. Being a tactical shoe means that they're not pretty, but as a general purpose trail shoe I find them hard to beat. They're available in mid and high tops as well.
    upload_2014-8-26_14-38-34.png

These I wear as general day-to-day trainers. They're stocked in various colours and I have the two styles shown below.

upload_2014-8-26_14-37-19.png
    upload_2014-8-26_14-38-1.png

Go down a half size, I had to return my first pair.

Attached Files:

Voley likes this.
  15. Voley

Yeah those look like the sort of thing I'm after. They'll have to wait a bit though. I accidentalied a rucksack that was on offer, too (all Global Stoner's fault obvs :mad:) so I'm poor this month now before I've even paid the rent. I swear buying hiking kit's a worse fucking habit than heroin.

monsterbunny likes this.
  16. UnderAnOpenSky

Did you get the Grivel? :D

If it's any consolation I got a 52L one from them almost ten years ago and it's had a proper battering, work sack, carrying kit to the crag, even overseas trips and it's still going!

17. Voley

Nah got one of these in the end. Montane Medusa 32 L Down to £55 from £80 from e-outdoors.
    [​IMG]

I got the feeling that Grivel were more for climbers really. Was tempted by spending another twenty quid or so on an Osprey Talon mind. They look like they've got some decent features (pockets in the hip belt etc).

[​IMG]

In fact I'm still tempted in getting one of these as well.

I'm listening to myself say this shit here. What have I become?

monsterbunny likes this.
  18. UnderAnOpenSky

You don't need a 32 and a 44 :D

19. Voley

I know. Fucking hell, I know. :(

Did I tell you I've already got 4 rucksacks? :D

20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Need and desire are very different things. Easily confused.

Voley likes this.
  21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Until a recent cull I had an 18l, a 22l, a 38+5l, a 45l, a 75+15l and three 90l duffels! Yet still coveted the Montane and a Crux AK47.

Oh well.

:)

monsterbunny and Voley like this.
  22. Voley

One day at time mate, one day at a time. Don't buy a rucksack today. Worry about tomorrow then. Keep it simple, don't buy rucksacks, don't buy trail runners, go to meetings.

Today I'm not buying a rucksack. That'll do for today.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

And a pair of Scarpas and maybe just one more Osprey Talon.

moose, monsterbunny, Maggot and 2 others like this.
  23. Voley

OOH! I'd never heard of them! They're named after a fucking machine gun! They must be ace! I must have one!

24. Voley

That logic has worked well for me before. First time I went to Amsterdam I thought I'd go easy on the weed knowing that I'm a bit of a lightweight but they had this stuff called 'AK47' and I just went 'Fuck yeah, it's named after a machine gun! That'll be the stuff for me!' Spent a whole night in a fucking coma with the coffee shop owner practically IV-ing orange juice into me to try and revive me.

moose and Maggot like this.
  25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

[​IMG]

Nothing flash. Just a simple, tough, old school climbing pack.

26. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

We have an agreement in our house. Ambleside is to kit as Amsterdam is to drugs.

It's tolerated that I'll buy kit when I'm up in the Lakes, but in return I don't when I'm not.

27. ChrisD

ChrisD .

Bit late to thus thread but may as well say I've had these for about 7 or 8 years (first non leather boots I've had). Mrs Christy bought them for me and I was sceptical but they've been brillliant.

While on subject of boots - I've just got some new hand made to measure ones. previous pair lasted 26 years (!!! ) having been resoled 3 times. Went back to same shop and same shoemaker. Expensive but very comfy and if these orange ones last me another 26 years...
    [​IMG]

friedaweed, Voley and blairsh like this.
  28. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

Good score, voley. That Montane Medusa looks great. I love Montane stuff, mostly clothing - I've got four hooded Litespeed windproofs stuffed into various EDC packs.

With three 90 lt duffels chilango's got a bigger rucksack habit than most of us.

Here's my vintage Swiss Army Mountain pack:

upload_2014-8-27_23-53-16.png

Voley likes this.
  29. Voley

Now that is a rucksack. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  30. Voley

The Montane one arrived yesterday and is very good, though, I must admit. They've really stripped it right down for minimal weight. It's geared more for climbers than me - there's a nifty bit of design for holding an ice axe that I'll never use - but it'll be good for tramping the moors with very little weight on my back. Despite being so minimal it takes two 1l water bottles in each side pocket easily (leaving the inside free for other stuff) and I've packed it with clothes, a big flask of tea and various bits of small camping kit and would still have room for a tent with a bit more creative packing. Very good design. I'm interested to know how long it lasts though - being so lightweight I wonder if it's very rugged. It's certainly not in the same strength league as that fine piece of kit that monsterbunny has above. The worst it'll come up against with me is getting snagged in a bush or something but I do wonder if its got a lot of life in it.

monsterbunny likes this.